PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Truck Hitch Game Hoist

Beagler
10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
When my family and I hunt at our cabin in WV (no 120v or water) it takes over and hour just to get to town to butcher a deer. then have to drive all the way back. Its SUCKS! So out of all junk around the house I put together my own hoist for skinning and butcherin. The truck is already equipped with 12vdc/120vac in the back, lots of lights. Have a mini Harbor Freight gen. if I need it. So just have to throw in the knives, boards, vac-packer, saw-zal, cooler, Ice. Also have a water tank I hook my ZODI into. So I have hot or cold water to wash up with or take a nice hot shower.

1911sw45
10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
That is a very good idea Beagler. Its one of them moments like duh!

Adam

John Taylor
10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Did one years ago http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/pickuphoist2.jpg

Artful
10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Both nicely done - but you can't eat cannon - almost tastes as bad as deer track soup.

leftiye
10-03-2011, 11:37 PM
You gonna hang the deer over that an' shoot im again?

DragoonDrake
10-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Its not dead yet? Please tell me somebody here catches that reference.

Newerwinter
10-09-2018, 04:47 AM
Sorry for bumping...just my thoughts...

With the design of the running hoist to the ground, I would suggest that capacity is significantly increased. This is the advantage of collapsible, I could put rest the inner tube on the ground, but could move it up and pin it to it during the journey.
I can still make the pivot feature work with this design, I just need to figure out exactly where I want it to pivot.
In addition, I am going to install a winch on the upper 2" L to give more line capacity and once pivoted.I wouldn't have to worry about the winch moving
Also, how much less power with a collapsible model. I'm talking about laying two 33/16" pipe tightly inside one another. I assumed that I would be getting more strength than a single 2 "3/16" pipe.
The greatest thing about this build is that I'm only looking at the fact that I have about $ 100 if I can get it to work with 2 10" sections of the square tube.

Here is what I also use http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-deer-hoist/ This is a smstybilt 3000lb winch. Usually, I have to tie a long rope, coz the winch will only pull 35 '. Cool ideas about hoisting stuff. I would like to build something like that for a polar ranger and use a front mounted winch.

mazo kid
10-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Did one years ago http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/pickuphoist2.jpg

I've always wanted a bowling ball mortar! Nicely done.

Omega
10-09-2018, 01:30 PM
When my family and I hunt at our cabin in WV (no 120v or water) it takes over and hour just to get to town to butcher a deer. then have to drive all the way back. Its SUCKS! So out of all junk around the house I put together my own hoist for skinning and butcherin. The truck is already equipped with 12vdc/120vac in the back, lots of lights. Have a mini Harbor Freight gen. if I need it. So just have to throw in the knives, boards, vac-packer, saw-zal, cooler, Ice. Also have a water tank I hook my ZODI into. So I have hot or cold water to wash up with or take a nice hot shower.
I bought a commercially available one like that at Rural King for $100, except it used mostly round tubing. It was too short so I added an extension and made it swivel so I could raise the deer into the back. I replaced the winch and pulleys as well, the winch that came with it was light weight and would have trouble picking up heavier items, it is rated at 400lbs, but at 200 it would be hard to crank, the pulleys were the solid type, so I replaced them with the bearing type. Now, it is easy to put larger items on the truck such as my generator when I need to. I used to use it to field dress my deer on, but now I just load the deer and take it to a permanent tower with a winch I erected for field dressing, I keep a 55gl water barrel and a SS shelf with magnetic bar to hold my knives while I field dress and package my venison. I like the ZODI idea, I might have to borrow that concept as sometimes the water is so cold it almost hurts to wash my hands.

redhawk0
10-09-2018, 02:14 PM

No...but it will be.

Sorry...I couldn't resist glomming on to this old one.

In reference to the OP...that's a nice hoist. I cheaped out and pretty much just purchased a trailer hitch hauler. Its only 20" off the ground and I can get my deer into it so much easier than all the way to the tailgate.

redhawk

wmitty
10-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Thanks for posting! We camp in New Mexico and I'm growing tired of lifting the water containers above my head to fill the rv tank. I believe I see the solution.

country gent
10-10-2018, 11:40 AM
We would make and install jib cranes in the plant where they were needed. we used bearings in the pipe top and bottom along with a flat thrust bearing. this help stop the load from binding and the thrust bearing made them mush easier to use. Most of the ones we made up were 1 ton or less. The square pipes radiused corners in round tube reduces a lot of friction a flat bearing would make it almost effortless to move.

I have seen them made using trailer winches and its a nice way as the winch dosnt drop if you slip or stop

Speedo66
10-10-2018, 01:14 PM

Monte Python, having to do with parrots or plague?

DCM
10-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Gotta check our state regs, wonder if it is legal to hunt deer with bowling balls???

St. Hogustine
10-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Gotta check our state regs, wonder if it is legal to hunt deer with bowling balls???

The mortar isn't for bowling balls, it's for proper disposal of the remains!

CLAYPOOL
10-16-2018, 09:09 PM
You guys might want to make a drop down leg that can be pinned up or down for additional stability .

ulav8r
10-19-2018, 08:33 PM
You guys might want to make a drop down leg that can be pinned up or down for additional stability .

My thought is to let the vertical post slide down til it sits on the ground. For transport it would be raised for maximum ground clearance and pinned there. Not pinning it in the down position would avoid ending up with it in a bind after loading a heavy item into the bed.

BK7saum
10-21-2018, 10:45 PM
I needed a hoist today.

phonejack
10-24-2018, 06:03 PM
I made one I can cinch on a tree trunk. I call it my portable tree limb.

Hamish
10-30-2018, 06:34 PM

A favorite of mine: http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm