PDA

View Full Version : Ruger stock finish?

RemSoles
10-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Hello fellows! I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for a wood finish that will more or less duplicate the finish found on Ruger's number 1 rifle stocks. I have to refinish the forend on a rifle for a friend of mine, and it needs to match the buttstock as close as possible.
Thanks for your time!

Ben
10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm a professional stock finisher, if you'd be interesting in having me do the work, please send me a PM.

Here is my Web Site , there is a link with a photo page about 3/4 of the way down the web page, there are over 100 photos of stocks that I've finished in that link :

https://sites.google.com/site/bengunstockfinishing/ben-s-gunstock-finishing

RemSoles
10-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Many thanks for your offer Ben, I do appreciate it! But this is something I need to do myself for my friend. However if you will ship finished work into Canada I may have opportunity to use your services in the future? Those are some nice stocks you have done!

flounderman
10-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I use the spray polyurethane, clear gloss. if you don't use too many coats, you get a more subdued finish. the last I am using is minwax and it will get glossy if you build it up. you can quit when it looks like you want it to. I was using a different brand, about the same results. the first coat will absorb some and the pores will show. you can get a smooth finish by building it up and lightly sanding with fine sandpaper and steel wool depends on what you are trying to match. you can cut the gloss by rubbing it with pumice, or very fine sandpaper after the last coat. if the stock is checkered, tape over the checkering so you don't fill it.

RemSoles
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks Flounderman, that should do the trick. I'll give it a try!

Ben
10-03-2011, 08:39 AM
RemSoles

I've never shipped a stock to Canada, I really don't know what is involved ?
If it isn't much more complicated than shipping here in the states, I think I could help you.

Ben

RemSoles
10-03-2011, 12:54 PM
From what I understand to ship into Canada from down there any "gun parts" valued over 100 dollars must have an export permit from the state gov. Canada is just fine without an import permit, but the States wants an export permit anyway. However I know one company that ships unfinished wood stocks labeled as "wooden sporting goods" and not "gun parts", which of course is totally true, into Canada without any difficulty at all. But I do know that shipping costs can be a little high.

Ben
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
OK, looks like I'm learning today.

Ben