PDA

View Full Version : What About Model 94AE?

Mallard57
02-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi,
I was in the local gunshop the other day and saw a wood stocked Winchester Model 94 Angle Eject in 30-30. I didn't look real closely but it seemed to be in pretty nice shape. They wanted $399.00 for it. What is the general consensus on these types of rifles and that kind of price?
Thanks,
Jeff

mtngunr
02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Birch stocked Ranger, or nicer? Now that the panic has subsided, and many folk are realizing that the 94 is the most widely sold and distributed hunting rifle in the world with like 7 million of them floating around out there, prices have cooled a lot, as well they should.....before Christmas, I bought a nice pre-'64 94 for about $50 more than that AE, and also bought a speckled '71 vintage 94 for $150.....just by way of comparison.....the Ranger line sold competitively with the Marlin 336 birch guns at most major retailers by way of comparison, also.....the walnut Winchesters and Marlins were also priced competitively......

Mallard57
02-04-2007, 01:19 AM
It looked like walnut to me with a pretty nice coat of dark bluing.

mtngunr
02-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Personally, I'd just compare its price to Marlin with walnut, and go from there, unless you just want the Winchester.....they changed the Winchesters so many times since '64, I have trouble getting excited about an AE....pre-post-64, cast or forged receiver, screws or roll pins, top eject or AE, safety or non-safety, side safety or tang safety, rebounding hammer or non-rebounding......it gives me parts nightmares.....that's why I bought the 95% pre-'64 for $450 (which wasn't exactly a steal).....if I were really shopping this, I'd check asking/getting prices on gunbroker/auctionarms/gunsamerica and see what sellers hope for and what they get.......

PatMarlin
02-06-2007, 03:45 AM
A pre-64 94 in that condition was a good price in today's market. Some are selling for much more than that.

I've got a couple of 94's that I've been holding to see what the Winchester market does. Already was offered $4000 for the set by a Texas dealer, so I figured they got to be worth some more.

Guys are buying up old Winchesters, and special runs like crazy.

2row
02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
At the last gunshow I went too pre 64's were the hottest selling gun there 550 an up mostly UP

mtngunr
02-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Well (he said, as the thread hijack ground inexorably towards the precipice), there are surely expensive pre-'64's out there, but my checking on gunbroker/auctionarms/gunsamerica for asking/getting rates showed there are a bunch out there in that $450/$500 range, and quite a few really nice ones at the lower end, this looking done before I made my purchase....gunshow prices around here I would not even dignify by quoting, as anything I can find through other means for $500 is surely an $800-$1000 item at local shows, and probably refinished.....

calaverasslim
02-18-2007, 09:33 AM
My 2 bits worth, but I just swapped a used 94AE in 45lc, 20" carbine straight X for a NIB USFA Rodeo. That was with a dealer. The pistol is a 44-40, no longer made and retails for in excess of $600 so that may add a little fuel to the fire. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
02-18-2007, 01:56 PM
The dealer probably trade cause the demand of the Winchesters are strong. Any lever year, and probably will continue to be strong.

The pistol is awesome and you made a good trade, but from his stand point it's probably easier to find 94 lever buyers right now.

PatMarlin
02-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I also think online auctions have brought a real world market price to the sales of everything these days.

It's the closest average of a current value you will ever see and it draws from everywhere now, not just a local market.

This can be good or bad depending on your perspective, but a REAL market value non the less.

Poohgyrr
02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I just want one or two of the take downs in the last WINCHESTERcatalog..... [smilie=1:

And I can't afford that M92 special they're making now either.. :(

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2007, 05:35 PM
theres a nice post 64 3030 with decent wood at my buddys gunshop right now for 200 bucks hes also got a savage 110 06 for 200 bucks there thats a decent gun. Anyone intersted shoot me an email and ill give you contact info.

PatMarlin
02-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Ifn you want to see some real nice post-64 94's I've got this set, but I don't want to shoot em'. Well actually I could and want to but they wouldn't be worth as much.. :roll:

http://www.westcoastminisplitter.com/WInchesterSet.html

Every once in awhile I pull em' out and drool a little.. :mrgreen:

Newtire
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I have 2 of the Win. 94 AE .30-30's. One is a later style, "Black Shadow" model and the other is an earlier one before they put in the dreaded crossbolt safety.

The difference is night & day. The earlier one is a real beaut in all respects and the later one has following issues:
1. Poor stock to metal fit.

2. Fails to extract half the time.

3. Fails to fire more than enough to make me not trust it for hunting.

They are both real accurate shooters but just that the earlier one was made by craftsmen and the later one was put together at the Yugo factory it appears.

PatMarlin
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Sounds like someone pulled it from the reject bin. My 94, made in 1994 is pefect in all of those ways. To bad Winchester's not around to fix it.. :roll:

boommer
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I JUST HAD A 94 SPORTING RIFLE 38-55 OCT BARREL 1901 VINTAGE APPRAISED
by a appraiser and dealer in older firearms if you want something old or unusual
you go see these guys and he gave a value of 4000.00 and he said if you think you are sell it he wants first shot and last shot on it now to me i would never pay that kind of money for it but I guess there is it is nice rifle and I shoot it!