PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a lyman 4500

sparky45
10-01-2011, 10:57 AM
As the title states, I just 10 min ago purchased a Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer with Heater and immediately have concerns. BTW, got a great deal from Optics Planet; $152.99 with free shipping. My concern; trying to buy the blamed Top Punches I will need to fit the cast boolits from my Lee Molds. Why do they make it so difficult. IMO, the punches should be listed in the same way that the Dies are listed. A 452-whatever Top Punch should be for a 45cal sized bullet with the "whatever" being the profile. For instance, a RCBS Top Punch # 465 is for a 32cal RN bullet, not some bada$$ bullet with a mean profile. This stuff makes my head hurt.

Ziptar
10-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Go take an aspirin and look this over, http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

Your head should hurt allot less after. ;)

theperfessor
10-01-2011, 11:20 AM
See my sig line. Read Recluse's review in this section or email me for details.

sparky45
10-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Ziptar, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

10-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Sparky45,
You'll find that using an RCBS or Lyman top punch with a Lee boolit is a compromise, at best, and you'll end up with a ring round the nose or some other sort of visual defect. Rather than use something for which it wasn't designed, buy what you need from theperfessor.

The other option, is to modify an RCBS or Lyman for an exact fit. However, theperfessor turns out a quality product that is a better value. To top it all off, you don't need to keep an Allen wrench handy, or search for one, to install or remove it.

Support RCBS, Lyman, or theperfessor.

sparky45
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I already replied to theperfessor's post and am waiting for a return message.
Thanks everyone.