PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gal Drum o ww

VA Shooter
10-01-2011, 08:13 AM
I hit the jack pot yesterday I went to 3 different small shops and all told me no so I went to a little one bay shop and asked if they had any ww and he said yea but you got to take them all then he pointed at a 55 gal drum full of ww and gettem boy. He told that he does not work on tires that the guy that he rents from had them in there for over 20 years NICE FIND

WILCO
10-01-2011, 08:29 AM
He told that he does not work on tires that the guy that he rents from had them in there for over 20 years

So he gave you WW's that are not his? :shock::veryconfu:shock:

odinohi
10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Great find. Congrats!

imashooter2
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
If they're really 20 years old, they should be all lead too. Very nice score. I see a couple of sweaty days in your future! :)

clintsfolly
10-01-2011, 10:33 AM
The same thing happened to me 30yrs ago but I had to get them out of there by closing time. 22 min to work it out. Back the truck up to the barrel hooked a chain around the base a dragged it outside rehooked to top of the barrel and tipped it over. Got the shovel out went to work I finished up about 20min after he closed. As I got in the truck I found a Cold Coke set on the seat! Greatest day of WW hunting to date! Clint :-P :bigsmyl2:

VA Shooter
10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Heck the guy helped me transfer them into 5 gal buckets. WILCO he told me that the guy that owns the shop has been saying for 5 years that he was going to take to the dump but never did when I got home his square point shovel was in the back of my truck so I went back to the shop and landlord was there and said to guy "I told you I would get thoes ww out of there" Then the landlord told me to go to another shop he knew of and when I got there the man said that he just got rid of 5 buckets 2 days ago

jsizemore
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
The last 55 gal drum of ww I bought was close to full and weighed 1800lbs. That was 2 weekends making ingots with a 4 quart dutch oven. 92% return of ingots from original weight.

hardcase54
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Good score.

Ole
10-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Wow awesome score. You must have earned some good karma sometime earlier in your travels. :drinks: Congrats!

Roundnoser
10-01-2011, 07:35 PM
LUCKY DUCK! Good for you!

Sonnypie
10-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I love good news!
Congratulations!

Dennis Eugene
10-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Why is it, that while I'm in possession of enough WW's to more than likely last the rest of my life, I still find myself jealous of a score such as this one. Congrats on a great find. Dennis

Matt_G
10-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm invoking rool 16...
Pictures my man, we need pictures!!

Jamesconn
10-01-2011, 11:15 PM
im just starting and i have about 10 lbs of ingots its impossible to get WW here ive tried everywhere. I am jelous of all these people having thousands of pounds and im only 16 and getting started and i have a stockpile the size of a nice ****. It seems as though I got into guns a couple decades too late

castblast
10-01-2011, 11:28 PM
And I thought I found all the big scores in North VA!

Boolseye
10-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Jamesconn,
Some of these guys won't use up all those wheel weights, and then they'll go to a young caster like you. Congrats on finding casting so early in life, and good luck to you.

Love Life
10-01-2011, 11:49 PM
im just starting and i have about 10 lbs of ingots its impossible to get WW here ive tried everywhere. I am jelous of all these people having thousands of pounds and im only 16 and getting started and i have a stockpile the size of a nice ****. It seems as though I got into guns a couple decades too late

It gets aggravating at times, but keep on looking. I have gotten lucky a few times, but you really cant beat $1 a pound shipped to your door. When I scrounge I add in the cost of gas, pizza, propane, etc. I have had people offer me large amounts for cheap, but I just didn't feel like loading it up, and then smelting it down later. To each their own. Next time I get a smoking deal or free lead I will PM you and ship as much as I can to you for just the cost of shipping.

WHITETAIL
10-02-2011, 08:19 AM
I would be back with lunch for the boys.:holysheep

zuke
10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I know of a wrecking yard that has 3 barrel's full, and I can have all I want!!
At $1.00 a pound............

Matt_G
10-02-2011, 11:47 AM
They won't budge on that price at all?

fatelk
10-02-2011, 12:24 PM
im just starting and i have about 10 lbs of ingots its impossible to get WW here ive tried everywhere.
Patience, grasshopper. I was pretty frustrated myself a couple years ago when I got back into casting again; struck out time after time at tire shops. I gave up completely on tire shops around here (mostly steel now anyway, or they "got a guy").

I mention lead to people I know and just watch around for good deals. I found an awesome deal on half a ton of linotype, found several great deals on scrap at gun shows and garage sales, and a local member here set me up with a couple hundred pounds of soft lead for really cheap (Thanks Mark!).

I probably have a ton now and don't even bother looking anymore. For me, that's probably a lifetime supply and then some. Just keep your eyes open and you'll find some, though it may take a while.

I guess that's true about a lot of things in life, isn't it? I wish I had learned that younger. The harder you try when you're in a hurry, the more frustrated you get. When you relax and work towards a goal over time and with determination, good things will come.

Congrats VA shooter; great find. That should keep you busy for a while!

SciFiJim
10-02-2011, 06:23 PM

James,
I know it feels like you will never get caught up with what some of the guys here have. However, one day YOU will be one of the senior casters on a board and can talk about when FWFL (Felix World Famous Lube) and Recluse's tumble lube were not available commercially and you had to make your own. You will also talk about being there when NOE (Night Owl Enterprises) was just getting started as a custom mold operation before they grew into a casting giant. And about how you associated and listened to the REALLY senior casters like Felix, and 45Nut, and Recluse and others that have spent decades perfecting the art of casting.
Continue to learn what you can and one day YOU will be the one people go to for "The Answer".

Ole
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM

If I were in your spot, I'd be looking around for good shooting places to go mining for lead.

If you can get some range lead it's just about as good as wheel weights. More work, sure, but it's cheaper.

evan price
10-03-2011, 01:31 AM
If I were in your spot, I'd be looking around for good shooting places to go mining for lead.

If you can get some range lead it's just about as good as wheel weights. More work, sure, but it's cheaper.

That's what I did finally. I had a nice string of lead farms, was getting a bucket full every 2-3 months for a total cost of less than $20 a bucket and the tire shops were all places I drove near by anyway.

Then it started getting more and more non-lead weights in every bucket, and more shops started saying they had to send them out to Johnson Controls or Exide and not letting me have them anymore. I still have a couple of places I can get some weights now and then but not so many as before. I've got buckets full I have not yet smelted, and 2 buckets full of ingots. A good amount but not a huge amount maybe 1800 pounds or so.

So I started mining berm lead. It's not much more or less work than trying to fight over wheel weights and it gets me lead whenever I want it:castmine:

VA Shooter
10-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Hey, Jamesconn try looking at small one and two bay auto shops off the beaten path most of the ww that I got were from places like that they are usually happy to get rid of them and I always have a 5 gal bucket in my truck at all times you never know when you will run into a good find

zuke
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
They won't budge on that price at all?

Nope, but I'll be around there in a couple week's so I'll try again.

9.3X62AL
10-03-2011, 02:30 PM
These days, $1/lb. isn't out of line. In CA, anyway.

Scrounging has gotten so thin locally that I'll likely just use Rotometals for my casting material from here on out. I do have 100#-150# each of monotype--foundry type--and Linotype in stock, and I need to get unalloyed lead for blending those metals with. So I'm not as well-set as others here. If worse comes to worst, I'll just raid Buckshot's Ingot Ziggaurat in his side yard some night. :) Ain't THAT a low-rent option, or what?

There's just a break-even point for WW scrounging into which you need to figure costs and time to gather--store--smelt--ingotize--and re-store the results. I don't like paying $2+ for casting metal, but the time savings alone go a good distance toward making that equation more right-side-up. And guaranteed assay vs. mystery metal is a plus, too.

klutz347
10-04-2011, 08:52 AM
And they always forget the pic's.

VA Shooter
10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I didn't forget pic's that is the first thing I thought of was to post on this site but 2 problems don't have a digital camera and don't have internet at home yet and my buddies started smelting the next day while I was at work Looked like someone was making applebutter and butchering hogs at the same time still not done smelting