PDA

View Full Version : What powder in 38spl +P?

Joel Chavez
02-03-2007, 11:36 PM
What powders do Buffalo Bore, Federal, Black Hills, etc. use for their 158gr LSWCHP +P loads? Are these recipes trade secrets or availalbe to the public? Thanks in advance.:castmine:

mag_01
02-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Joel------I don't know that info but if you are looking for a hot 38 load I have a +P+ load that is awesome---A tack driver to say the least---I shoot it out of a colt python 4 inch barrel----It feels like a light 357 round-----Lee 125gr RN 9mm boolit tumble lubed with 5.5grs. of bullseye. Of course start lower to be safe and work your way up----This load I found in an old manual before the time of law suites---It is a healthy load and I enjoy shooting it.----Mag

454PB
02-04-2007, 01:59 AM
It's likely that only the manufacturer knows, and also likely that it's a non canister powder. I would guess a slower burning powder like HS-6.....at least that's one I've used for home made +P .38 specials.

Joel Chavez
02-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the info.,but I was just wondering if manufactors use the powders available to the general public; bullseye, h110, clays, etc. I have a rather hot load too. It starts with a cast 158gr swc quenched in water and pushed by 3.8gr of Bullseye from a M64 with a 3" tube. It's rated at +P pressure according to Alliant. I'll try yours when I get the chance. Take care and hope it's warm and dry where you are.:castmine: