PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly what I wanted

hornady
09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
I was looking for a winter project gun and ran some ads, ended up with a model 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7X57, I re did a Spanish Mauser in 308 a few years back. Basically the same rifle. The more I work on this one the more I like it. Next one will be a 98. Those old Mausers clean up nice. And it gives you a reason to hit the gunshows.

Ed in North Texas
09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Some people think this is a "sickness". I sure do wish I never get well. :bigsmyl2:

adrians
09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Some people think this is a "sickness". I sure do wish I never get well. :bigsmyl2:

yer mines cronic, no hope for me :evil:[smilie=w::evil:

Uncle Grinch
09-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I don't know about it being a sickness... I think it's worse, I think it's an addiction.

I can barely pass by a pawn shop or gunshow table when there is a milsurp involved. Why I've walked right past decently priced, and I'm talking about less than $300, late model bolt actions and find myself handling a $129 '93 Mauser or a $219 Enfield SMLE. Why sometimes I hear '98 Turks calling me!

I can't help it!!!

hornady
10-01-2011, 07:48 AM
This is actually my 3rd Mil – rifle. Back in the late 60 we had a store called Masons I believe. At that time they had barrels with Lee Enfields rifles in them for $25.00. Your choice. So far with this rife and my order to Midsouth for Dies , mold, , M-die, stock refinish kit. I have over $400.00 into this project. And the rifle is in pieces on the bench. With the Blue job and incidentals, I am thinking I will have $500.00 in this project. Could have bought a decent sporting Rifle with the money. So yes I would say it’s a sickness.

bcp477
10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, you may have the price of a new "commercial" rifle in the project at the end of it....or more. But, if you'd spent that money on a new rifle, you'd have.... a new rifle. A shooting appliance - with little to no character - and no history. Boring !!! For me, this is a no brainer. I'd rather spend the $500 on something interesting.

My opinion.

roverboy
10-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't know about it being a sickness... I think it's worse, I think it's an addiction.

I can barely pass by a pawn shop or gunshow table when there is a milsurp involved. Why I've walked right past decently priced, and I'm talking about less than $300, late model bolt actions and find myself handling a $129 '93 Mauser or a $219 Enfield SMLE. Why sometimes I hear '98 Turks calling me!

I can't help it!!!

I do the same thing. I've got several modern rifles and shotguns. I walked past some nice .22 rifles, several modern centerfires and several shotguns looking for mil-surps yesterday but, didn't find any. Thats what excites me now. I forgot I did see a French (8mm Lebel I think) Carbine that was in good shape. I'm just not into French rifles. No offense to the guys that are.