PDA

View Full Version : Some times you get lucky

hornady
09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
The wife wanted to go to a yard sale. In the past I have picked up some stuff cheap, we got there early, the guy and his wife were setting up, the guy looked like he really wanted to be there, (Sarcasm) any way he was putting stuff out on the tables, he had this big pewter man on a horse. Well he dropped it and it broke in half, his wife had a fit, seemed to get him out of helping, she started to throw it in the trash, I offered her a dollar for it, she said just take it, free pewter not a bad day.

dieguy59
09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Nice! I feel for the poor guy though. Speaking of pewter, local guy stopped casting jewelry so I scooped a Lee 10lb furnace(just over 1/2 full of pewter) large cast ladle,small Lee ladle,his jewelry molds(?) and large ammo box for $25. Not free, but made me happy. Have yet to find free alloy stuff at garage sales, so hats off to you.

yobohadi
09-30-2011, 03:31 PM
That statue may not be pewter if it broke in half, I have dropped pewter objects before and they always dent or bend for me. You may want to verify it really is pewter before you melt it down with your other pewter items.

hornady
10-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Yes this was pewter. It was hollow and the man was soldered to the horse. Where the saddle was soldered to the horse, it broke the body of the horse. I have gotten a lot of pewter at yard sales most have been plates and belt buckles.