PDA

View Full Version : cleaning stainless barrel

robert6715
09-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I just bought my first stainless barreled rifle.It was a gunbroker auction on an odd caliber,so I did not inspect in person.The bore is so copper fouled that you can see it with the naked eye.Its not just copper wash at the muzzle. It is so fouled that it looks like leading(no joke)only copper color(EXTREMELY HEAVY copper colored build up).
Once upon a time I shot high power matches every weekend for about 120 weeks,so I am fully aware of how to properly remove copper from a carbon steel barrel without harming accuracy.
What solvent should I use to remove these deposits?I remember hearing on more than one occasion that solvents that use ammonia to dissolve copper should NEVER be used in a stainless barrel. THANKS IN ADVANCE ROB

B R Shooter
09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
You don't use different cleaning solvents for stainless than you do for CM. It is generally said to not leave ammonia cleaners in a barrel for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. For a barrel fouled as bad as that, I would consider using Wipeout foam, fill the bore and let it work overnight. The patch will be nasty coming out. Might take a few doses.

swheeler
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I have used Sweets7.62 as long as I can remember, then followed up with JB's bore paste. A couple years ago I bought a bottle of Montana X-treme Copper Killer special 50BMG formula, it is the best of the ammonia based cleaners I have found, I still give the barrel a good scrubbibg with JB's when done. I have used it in 3 SS rifles and one revolver, no ill effects.

The blue I used to high light the name is what you're going to see, har

DCM
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I have used sweets in my SS barrels for years without an issue, I have never left it in the bore for more than 15 min.

For quick cleaning and poor bores I use Rem clean regularly. For slow cleaning I use Hoppes with long soak periods.

Just before going to the range I would use a combination of dry patches and ones soaked with lighter fluid to remove any solvent from the bore. By doing this the first shot with bare naked J words would be right where I called it.

As others have said it is just like cleaning a CM barrel. Just my .02