PDA

View Full Version : What mix would you suggest?

stealthshooter
09-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I will be casting for my 450 bushmaster soon. .452 caliber 1 in 24 twist with 300 grain Boolits. This gun will push them well over 2000 fps as long as the accuracy is good that's where I'll be running it. I was wondering what mix you would run? I have ingots from lead shot,range lead and wheel weights. I almost forgot this gun has a chrome bore if that makes any difference.

Rangefinder
09-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Running that fast I'd suggest water quenched WW with a gas check. I'd suggest looking up some load data with a slow burning powder that has the lowest pressure ratings for the velocities you're trying to reach. Start on the slower side and work up. Your RPM's should be low enough not to spin boolits apart, but you'll need to keep under pressure ratings for your alloy hardness to keep from stripping out and leading the bore pushing the alloy too hard. Some of the 45/70 guys might have an alloy/boolit style combo that can whistle out that fast. I wouldn't recommend trying it with a plain-base.

clodhopper
09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Being a fan of rapid fire I suggest jacketed bullets.
A drop of moulten lead in the gas tube will leave you with a single shot.

bumpo628
09-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Here's a $20 Lee mold that'll work. It's 300 grain and GC.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=658577

Rangefinder
09-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Being a fan of rapid fire I suggest jacketed bullets.
A drop of moulten lead in the gas tube will leave you with a single shot.

I shoot cast through an AK almost exclusively. If you work your load and alloy right, it runs darn-near jacketed performance without hardly a sign of lead at all. Don't fall for propaganda. ;)

I'd say bumpo pointed in the right direction on a boolit to work with. NEXT!? Powder and load start data. ;)

clodhopper
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I shoot cast through an AK almost exclusively. If you work your load and alloy right, it runs darn-near jacketed performance without hardly a sign of lead at all. Don't fall for propaganda. ;)

I'd say bumpo pointed in the right direction on a boolit to work with. NEXT!? Powder and load start data. ;)

I have a Garand I have been trying to get to work with cast bullets, a drop of moulten/then frozen lead jams the op rod. At least I can get it out.
Good luck with an AR and the gas tube.

AnthonyB
09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
clodhopper, I have no problem with cast in either of my Garands. What bullet/load are you using that will leave a drop of molten lead that solidifies and jams the op rod?
Tony

clodhopper
09-30-2011, 11:03 PM
I have tried several bullets 311-291, lee 150 FP, RCBS 165 311-041.
Tried powders from 4895, 4064, 4350, 4831, RL22.
Even tried paper patching. no leading but no accuracy.
Bullets sized 308, and 309
Perhaps my barrel is rough, polished with Flitz after last try.
My cadence is high, fireing 2 and eight in 60 seconds.
The flat points do not feed well.
I have had a lack of real hard lead but this summer scored some monotype perhaps 50/50 with wheel weights will do it.
Casting season is just around the corner.
The 311-291 shoots pretty good and will be the focus mould next try.

What ever my issue is I hate to see it happen to an AR.

captaint
10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
hopper - I'm not sure I would mix monotype 50/50 with anything. Monotype is like 19% antimony, which makes for very hard and brittle boolits. I believe I might start with a 10% min with WW and go from there. Just a suggestion. Good luck. enjoy Mike

Echo
10-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Hopper, I mix mono w/WW's at a ratio of 1/7 = 5 lbs of mono to 35 lbs of WW - and add another 1% Sn. Gives about 6-% SB and 2+% Sn, about the same as Magnum metal. Actually too hard for 38/45 pistol balls, and I cut 50/50 w/Pb, adding another 1% Sn, for 38/45 balls.
In other words - DON'T 50/50 mono/WW! WAY TOO BRITTLE!

clodhopper
10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Captiant and Echo. My supply of mono type is quite limited and I have lots of wheelweights and a few pounds of tin. Mixing 1-10 or 1-7 would make a lot more bullets.
I wonder if there is a burr at the gas port in my Garand.
It has had several hunderd jacketed bullet go down it before I tried cast.
So Stealthshooter, this thread has been way off track, did you try any cast yet in your 450?

stealthshooter
10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
No not yet. I'm still saving money for my mold and rounding up my lead and such. Still cruising the forum and asking all the questions I can before I jump in. I have about 50 pounds of WW lead and about 40 pounds of melted down shot. I also have a med sized flat rate box of pure lead on the way and about 200# of mixed lead on it's way also. So I should have about 300# of lead to start out with. There are a few other guys shooting them through their AR15's without function problems but are having issues with gas cutting due to the check being shorter than the gas port in the barrel. I've been talking to a few guys on here about getting some tall checks but it may require a custom mold.

Ole
10-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Another thing to try would be heat treated (in an oven/not water dropped) wheel weight alloy.

If you do the temps right, you can get those up to around 30BHN.

I run water-dropped 50/50 PB/WW to 1950-2000 in my SKS and don't get leading, but 7.62x39 pressures are a lot lower than you are dealing with.

Good luck!