PDA

View Full Version : Encore Broken Locking Bolt

leadman
09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I shot my Encore rifle with the 7mm Rem Mag barrel on it yesterday and it opened when fired. I did a quick look at it and could see the case had seperated so put it away. At home I got the case out with a 12ga brush and noticed the front edge of the locking bolts were chipped.
When I ran my finger over them one of them moved to the side. I drove the roll pin out and noticed when I tried to remove the bolts that they came out hard. There was a bunch of gunk on the shaft of the bolts and the spring. I think this prevented the locking bolts from going under the shelf in the action far enough.
I never remove these to clean them and do not oil them so don't know if the gunk was machining oil or something else. I bought this barrel new.
I took the locking bolts out of another barrel so I can take this barrel on an elk hunt in a couple weeks. Called T/C today and they are shipping the parts out to me along with a couple hammer springs for my Contenders, no charge!
I have never had a problem like this in 15 years or so with the Contenders and 5 or so years with the Encores. I did clean all of my barrels today and found none gunked up.
Guess it would be good to push back on the locking bolts once in awhile just to check them, especially if the barrel is opening when fired.

school of mines
09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I have an Encore and will check the locking bolts! Never heard of this happening with Encores.

leadman
10-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Thought I would share this as I had never heard of it either. That broken base of the cartridge almost made it out of the gun! Guess you know where it would have ended up!

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Time to change the undies!