PDA

View Full Version : 1st CCW

Jamesconn
09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Well I am in between jobs right now, I am looking for my first pistol although I am young (16) and have much to learn I am not a complete newbie with guns. Although I have been shooting rifles and shotguns since about 7.
My father got a CZ75b a couple months back and we have been goin to the range every other week we go through about 100 rounds a person.
I am not of age and won't be for awhile Ive been reading about it and I think .357 is the best choice for me ATM.
I don't really know much more than I want besides .357 revolver with less than 2.5in barrel and no hammer.
I would like to train now my parents are fine with it I just have to buy it myself ammo included. I don't get to have guns in my room although I make ammo in my room.

MtGun44
09-30-2011, 01:07 AM
With the short bbl, you'll probably be happier with .38 Spl loads in a 2-2.5" revolver. Also, the
new ultra light versions are real handfulls with full power 158 gr +P .38 Spl, so much that I
would decline to shoot a full power .357 in one. Note that I have and shoot a .44 Mag
S&W 329 which is a really nasty handful with full power loads, but I expect the .357 in the
ultralight revo would be worse.

The muzzle blast and flash of the .357 mag would add to the mayhem. Nasty little guns,
short bbl .357 mags. Also consider that for CCW, you will likely be shooting without hearing
protection if it ever goes pear shaped. Permanent hearing damage is likely with hot mag loads in
one of the snubbies.

I would start with shooting a med frame .38 special a lot, so when you get old enough the snubbie
version (Smith J-frames are most commonly found) will be like an old friend, just a bit smaller.

A S&W Model 10 is a great tool that will teach you to be a crack shot for as little money as
is possible these days if you cast and load your own and stick to the 3 gr of Bulleye or 3 gr
of Clays type loads (normal loads) with 125-158 gr cast lead. You can probably find a fixed sight
(M10) or adjustable sight (M15) S&W K-frame in good shape for under $300 if you look
long enough. I bought a stainless heavy bbl once for $150, just got lucky.

After you are an expert with the K-frame, a J-frame is just a bit smaller, 5 shots and easier to
carry. The 649 (SS) or 49 (blued) are the hammerless models. The ultralight (aluminum frame
and titanium cylinder) are the 342/342 models, a lot more expensive but very light to carry. If
you run across a M60 or 36 (SS/Blue) you can bob the hammer and have a good approximation
of the hammerless guns.

Bill

lylejb
09-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Although it may not agree with what you are thinking, anyone's first pistol should be a 22.

First, LEARN TO SHOOT IT WELL, not just burn ammo.

Learn sight alignment, and trigger control. Learn to shoot accuratly.

A good 22 can be, and often is, more accurate than many shooters, and frees you from dealing with blast, recoil, and flinch while learning.

once you've learned how to shoot a 22 pistol WELL, these lessons will carry over to any pistol you care to shoot.

I would suggest a ruger mk1 or mk2.

As far as a snub nosed 357, I once fired ruger 357 snub. I can't recall the model number, but it was the one that takes 125gr loads only, due to the short cylinder. It was absolutly squirely. It was harder to keep a grip on than my 629 44mag. Because I couldn't keep a grip on it, my accuracy with it was horrible. Powerfull? Yes, but that doesn't matter if you can't hit anything.

If you really feel you have to have something larger, go with MtGun44's suggestion of the model 10 or 15, preferably with a 4" barrel. Leave the snub nose for later.

Blacksmith
09-30-2011, 02:21 AM
+1 on the learn to shoot WELL. And practice with paper targets not steel plates so you can see where you are hitting and how you are grouping. Practice varried distances also.

Remember in a self defense situation the adrenilan will be full on, the heart rate up, your vision will change, and other physical changes happen so even good shooters have trouble hitting targets. Become an excellent shot first.

If you can't hit what you are aiming at you are just making noise and wasteing ammunition.

Blacksmith

Wayne Smith
09-30-2011, 07:32 AM
I would agree with the .22 idea except - James, you are already reloading. You can load .38's as cheaply as buy .22's. Agree also with the idea of a mid-frame .38 for practice. S&W Mdl 10 is the classic, but everyone made one. Remember that, for generations, the .32's and .38's were police pistols. The .357 was designed to shoot through car doors, not to be more effective on people. Granted, it did both, but the purpose was car doors.

In the common CCW use you need to think close and personal, not barricades. In this situation the 32's and 38's are adequate, the 357 is overkill and over penetration. Also realize if you ever do have to use the gun you will see it go bye-bye for at least a couple of years (evidence) if not forever. DO NOT carry your favorite gun except to the Texas Governer's Barbeque!

Jamesconn
09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys I think I'll start with a 4in like you said I thing I might get a .357 just so I can shoot both but I'll just stick with .38.

I don't like stainless revolvers or stainless anything as far as guns go

frkelly74
09-30-2011, 08:27 AM
A 22 is a lot of fun!! Worth thinking about.

looseprojectile
09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Something I think I read on this board.

"An amature practices till he gets it right, a professional practices till he can't get it wrong".
I always think about that statement when I compete in the local pin shoots.

I've been shooting the 45 auto since the mid fifties and I think I am approaching getting it right.
I was a confirmed gun looney when in my teens. Never got over it.
You have time. Make every shot count. Good luck to you.

Life is good

redneckdan
09-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Git yer self a 4" K-frame in 38 or 357. It can do just about anything you'll need to do with a hand gun. I know you said you don't want a stainless steel handgun but these are a good deal.

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431

firefly1957
10-01-2011, 07:36 AM
At 18 I started with a 4" S&W "N" frame Model 28 in 357 mag. I would sure like to have that gun back today it set me back $128 new. It was not really good for concealed carry but it was a great gun I had a couple loads I could shoot 4" groups at 50 yds. with it , was good for small game and self defense. My main use of it was my sidearm as a security guard but it went hunting and fishing with me too, no not to shoot fish, but for vermin control while I was fishing in remote areas. I am certain on one occasion it prevented me being a crime victim when I came upon a couple creeps while fishing upon seeing pistol in holster they split fast.

Bad Water Bill
10-02-2011, 08:30 AM
When I started shooting (many many years ago) I bought a Ruger 357 mag. Wow could it kick. Then someone introduced me to the facts of life concerning handloading and hand gun cartridges. Shortly there after I developed a 38 load that in my new gun would wipe out the X at 25 yards. I have used that load to get folks familiar with handguns many times over the years.

Start with a 22 and learn how to use it accurately and safely. As any parent will say, you did not learn to jump hurdles first, you had to learn how to walk. After you have mastered the 22 then collect several reloading manuals and get used to the use of a gun with a little more recoil,blast,noise etc.

I doubt there is anyone here that started with a 44 mag as their first gun and never looked back.

firefly1957
10-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Bill that is good advice I put down the first pistol I owned but had already put thousands of .22 long rifles down range in my fathers High Standard HD-Military that pistol will shoot better than many 22 rimfire rifles.

Jamesconn
10-02-2011, 11:09 PM
I've shot atleast 10,000 .22lr from a rifle and I'm shooting about 200 rounds per week through my dads 9mm and I am still working on technique I was going to transition to the pistol I want to carry if I have to start with one a little longer that's fine but ill get small version when I carry but this is probably one of the 2-3 pistols I will own I'm not that big into them I prefer shotguns and rifles but I'm not sure what the laws are on carrying concealed shotgun

Blacksmith
10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
It can be hard to conceal a legal length shotgun especially in the summer when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. :bigsmyl2:

So with thousands of rounds down range what kind of scores do you shoot? Shoot any competitions?

Blacksmith

Jamesconn
10-02-2011, 11:35 PM
I shoot good I would like to shoot alot more.
I don't compete with pistol, at scouts there's rifle competitions and I win frequently once a perfect score I'm even better at archery. Dont shoot shotgun that much but I'll be getting one next.

Yes I am mediocre compared to alot of people on this board, and when I turn 18 i will be shooting more than our troops in Iraq I love it and I want to go to some classes taught by ex special forces operators. I am not saying I'm done learning or am expert i need alot of practice but I think I'm ready for more than .22 although I still shoot it the most I want other guns and I want to train with them especially the one I plan on carrying.

Blacksmith
10-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Jamesconn

Find a junior club that offers training and competition you are at a point where a good coach will help you learn a lot and avoid bad habits. Here are some places to help you find one.

CMP associated club finder for Texas:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=TX

NRA locator for clubs and training:
http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

NRA Instructors course listing:
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Blacksmith

Three44s
10-03-2011, 02:20 AM
I'll second the .22!

Your work with your dad's autoloader pistol not withstanding .......... you need a .22 revolver as close to your desired center fire revolver as you can get.

If it's a Smith in .357 .......... then you need a Smith in .22 first!

Trust me ............ Elmer Keith did it that way .......... .22 ......... .32 ............. 38 ......... and then .45 and .44's

I could not have made much progress without my K22 and mountain of .22 lr for cheap!!

ALL of my practice sessions yet to this day .......... START with that "lowly" .22 lr in a revolver!!!

Use golf balls for targets and work CLOSE IN ................ as you progress .......... move back ...

Go for HITS FIRST and distance SECOND!

Three 44s

firefly1957
10-04-2011, 06:07 AM
The 22 is good for something else also every now and then the Model 29 will get me in the bad habit of flinching . A bit of practice with the Model 17 and I can redevelop good shooting habits again.

VA Shooter
10-04-2011, 06:46 AM
You should start with a 22 and move up from there 22 revolvers are a blast to shoot and ammo is cheap

firefly1957
10-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Another nice thing about 22 cases is I can use the empty cases for 22 centerfire jackets for velocities under 3500 F/s! Just keep that in the back of your mind if you really get addicted to shooting reloading........