PDA

View Full Version : head stamp shorted or not?

colt 357
09-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Ok I've been shorting the head stamp in my 9mm luger. I haven't sorted head stamp in 40 S&W. I have had no problems in not sorting head stamp in 40. But I heard or read that sorting head stamp in 9mm is important. So who sorts and who doesn't sort and how important is it to sort by head stamp or is it a waste of time.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Lots of Winchester 9mm has crimped in primers. Lots of fired case pickups go in the junk bucket for defects. If you load progressive especially or even single stage , when you going to inspect?

BvT

zuke
09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
What your really looking for is to make sure 9mm is NOT berdan primed!! the other thing to look for is the primer crimp

marvelshooter
09-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't sort cases for any pistol shooting including .45's used in a target 1911 and certainly not 9mm's. As zuke said I do watch out for crimped primer pockets and usually chuck those in the scrap bucket.

bobthenailer
09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I sort brass buy maker for every handgun caliber i load for and use the different brand of brass for every different load in that particular caliber .
I also size first and trim all revolver brass to min trim specs at least once !
for handguns used for accuracy orented matches i also use only the same lot number of cases
for loading that load . as well as trim & check case length
It all really depends how accurate you want your ammo to be ! for me i want the most accurate ammo i can possibley load as i have allways shot in the highest class in handgun shooting and i firmley belive my system have helped me acheive that goal .
For regular ammo if possible at least sort by brand & check that max case length has not been exceded !

elk hunter
09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
The problem with 9mm is that it is and was made by everybody everywhere and to slightly different standards. It was frustrating to reload commercially due to the differences in rim diameter, extractor groove, case thickness and flash hole diameter. Not to mention berdan primers. I sorted and threw away a lot of brass to alleviate problems with foreign made cases.

In my experience, If you stick to US made brass you'll have a lot less problems.

bobthenailer
10-01-2011, 04:43 PM
With so much free 9mm brass being avalible i keep only WW , R&P & Fed which are the predomiant brands of brass that i find and give away , sell or scrap the other brands. the same goes for the 40 s&w brass

colt 357
10-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I am thinking I well keep winchester and federal. I also have some blazer brass that I know is once fired I bought it. I'll reload to see how it works havent heard anything on blazer brass yet. Reload that for good stuff and the others I think I well reload as winter brass as it gets lost in the snow no big problem about finding that stuff.
Now I heard that the RP head stamp isn't as good as win and fed as they use softer brass any comment on the rem brass.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I have never heard anybody claim (with any data to support it) that the 9mm was very accurate.
Certainly no winning tradition in any sort of pistol accuracy competition. MOO* seems the standard. Magazine articles on 9mm handguns tend to universally focus on the reliability, and discuss 3" 5-shot groups at 25yds as more than acceptable.

If it makes you feel better, by all means continue to do so. I believe it is as useful as saying "Sir" to the young police officer who pulls you over for 90+ on the highway...

Rich

*Minute of Opponent