PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Boat

Hometek
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Here's a small boat my son and I built this spring. 11' 6" with a 4 hp Evenrude. Needs a little bigger outboard.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/106684e34883964959.jpg
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/106684e3488392bf29.jpg
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/106684e348a5d305f7.jpg
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/106684e348838dbfb1.jpg

Hometek
09-29-2011, 01:35 PM
This was a pilot project to see if I could do the wood work, particularly the glass and epoxy. This is what I'm going to attempt this winter.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/images/012chinook-hantis6.jpg
http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/kh-images/012chinook-l.gif

Beagler
09-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Wish the lakes around my place where that clear. All our lakes/water ways have sewage treatment plants dumping into them and cant see more than 6 in in to the water if your lucky.

wcp4570
09-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Hometek
Looks like you and your son did a fine job on that boat. How big is your next adventure in boat building? I have had the itch for quiet awhile to build a wood boat. I'm thinking of trying my hand at a kayak.

The pic's of the lake are beautiful. We lived in the Denver area for 6 1/2 years while in the Air Force. Have some greats memories of fishing those beautiful lakes and streams in Colorado. We still vacation there every time we can.

wcp

Hometek
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I'ts going to be a challenge to get the next one done. The plans say it's 20' 6" but I want to add 2' if I can. Plywood, epoxy, and fasteners is going to run about 2800$. I have a 170 horse Mercury inboard, outboard but I would really like to get more hp.

waksupi
09-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Looking good. I would like one of the 20' models. Going out on this lake scares the dickens out of me with my little boat, and I have heard of others getting in trouble with bigger boats here. I think I need something ocean going!

Walter Laich
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Beagler: Wish the lakes around my place where that clear

Wish the lakes in Texas had water in them :-(

walt

Bret4207
09-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I think I have every issue of "Wooden Boat" magazine printed from 1984 to 1998 or so, plus a whole slew of books on building wooden craft. I have a lot of boat builders in both sides of my family tree. The urge is natural I guess. I don't know if I'll ever get to it though.

That little skiff looks fine from here! And the kids look like they're loving it. What more can you ask?

krag35
09-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Good Boat, I built one myself last winter. It WILL become an obsession. :-)

Suo Gan
09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
This was a pilot project to see if I could do the wood work, particularly the glass and epoxy. This is what I'm going to attempt this winter.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/images/012chinook-hantis6.jpg
http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/kh-images/012chinook-l.gif

I have always liked that style. If/when you attempt it could you document it in stages and keep itemized expense sheet? This is of interest to me. I think the 4hp goes pretty good with your first boat too.

Hometek
09-30-2011, 08:13 AM
I have always liked that style. If/when you attempt it could you document it in stages and keep itemized expense sheet? This is of interest to me. I think the 4hp goes pretty good with your first boat too.

I've already got quotes on most of the material. $1800 to get the meranti plywood shipped to my door. Glen L sells the fastener kit (silicone bronze) and the West System fiberglass and epoxy kit for $600 and $800. I can cut the price of the epoxy in half by using US Composites. That's what I used for the small boat and it was great stuff if your painting the boat. It cures with more of a yellow tint. I already have a boat that the interior had been stripped that has a 170 HP merccruiser I/O in it plus all the steering, tank, ect. So that's going to cut the price of the boat in half. I want to put that money into a gps/radar system.

alongston
09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Wow! I do some woodworking. Most recently built a lego play table for my son but man. Really impressed and that lake area is beautiful!!

ElDorado
09-30-2011, 11:45 PM
This is something I want to do when I retire. I don't think I can devote the time to it right now. There are a lot of nice wooden boat designs out there.

My father was a boat builder for the Navy until they adopted fiberglass utility boats in the 1950s.

gnoahhh
10-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Having spent the best part of the last 20 years building wooden boats ( plywood cold moulded construction, the last one being a 35' S&S sloop w/self made wooden spars) I can appreciate your efforts. That little skiff looks good! A couple of words of advice on the 20' cruiser: Stick with West System epoxy. I like it better than the rest, its system flexibility outweighs the extra cost. The fiberglass cloth can come from anywhere. Spend a few more bucks and gerry-rig a vacuum bag system for applying the fiberglass cloth layer(s). You'll be glad you did. Don't skimp on the paint/varnish either, lots of false economy in that area too. Make your strong back beefier than you think you need, things have to be straight and plumb from the git-go or you're screwed. Feel free to PM me with questions. I would rather share my knowledge than see people make the same mistakes I learned from the hard way!

Hometek
10-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Having spent the best part of the last 20 years building wooden boats ( plywood cold moulded construction, the last one being a 35' S&S sloop w/self made wooden spars) I can appreciate your efforts. That little skiff looks good! A couple of words of advice on the 20' cruiser: Stick with West System epoxy. I like it better than the rest, its system flexibility outweighs the extra cost. The fiberglass cloth can come from anywhere. Spend a few more bucks and gerry-rig a vacuum bag system for applying the fiberglass cloth layer(s). You'll be glad you did. Don't skimp on the paint/varnish either, lots of false economy in that area too. Make your strong back beefier than you think you need, things have to be straight and plumb from the git-go or you're screwed. Feel free to PM me with questions. I would rather share my knowledge than see people make the same mistakes I learned from the hard way!

I appreciate the tips and offer for help. I'll have to do that. I actually found a lumber yard in Utah that I can drive to for the marine plywood. Gonna start on the project sometime this month. Question I have is, what kind of lumber do you use for the frames?

gnoahhh
10-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice straight grained mahogany is ideal, IMO, but nice clear Douglas Fir is good too. Usually we would use mahogany for the keel, chines, laterals and sheers, doug fir for ribs and deck beams. Mahogany or white oak for engine mounting. Teak for the cockpit sole.

Winter project? My hat will be off to you if you manage to splash it next spring!

Funny, my old partner called last night to dangle another boat project in front of me. I'll probably help him cold-mold the hull and apply the fiberglass cloth because that is simply a two man job, but he'll be on his own doing the skantlings and finish work. I have sworn off the interminable sanding between coats of Awl Grip!

We had a saying: "Marine finishing involves repeated coats of expensive materials meticulously applied and laboriously removed." Ha ha.

dualsport
10-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Is Glen L still in business? The plans should spec all the material. The one in the photo looks nice with the bowsprit, handy for different things. Looks like a planeing hull, 170 hp ought to get her up no problem. I'd add a little trolling motor mount too, call it a 'get home' motor. Is it trailerable?

Hometek
10-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Nice straight grained mahogany is ideal, IMO, but nice clear Douglas Fir is good too. Usually we would use mahogany for the keel, chines, laterals and sheers, doug fir for ribs and deck beams. Mahogany or white oak for engine mounting. Teak for the cockpit sole.

Winter project? My hat will be off to you if you manage to splash it next spring!

Funny, my old partner called last night to dangle another boat project in front of me. I'll probably help him cold-mold the hull and apply the fiberglass cloth because that is simply a two man job, but he'll be on his own doing the skantlings and finish work. I have sworn off the interminable sanding between coats of Awl Grip!

We had a saying: "Marine finishing involves repeated coats of expensive materials meticulously applied and laboriously removed." Ha ha.

I don't have much work in the winter. This winter I'm planning on letting my help do my work and I'll work 40 to 50 hours a week on it. So I'm still probably to optimistic but we'll see.

Hometek
10-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Is Glen L still in business? The plans should spec all the material. The one in the photo looks nice with the bowsprit, handy for different things. Looks like a planeing hull, 170 hp ought to get her up no problem. I'd add a little trolling motor mount too, call it a 'get home' motor. Is it trailerable?

Not only is Glen-L in business, they also have a nice website and forum. And yes, the boat is trailerable.
http://www.glen-l.com/

Pavogrande
10-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Having been messin' about in boats for about 60 years, I will be the first to remind you that a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.
I still have quite a few of the fawcett "how to build boats" books and about 10 years of "boatbuilder" but at my age I think another venture into boatbuilding is no longer in the cards.
Just trying to sell off the old outboards and a put-put around the lake in the tin skiff keeps me occupied -

Hometek
10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Having been messin' about in boats for about 60 years, I will be the first to remind you that a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.
I still have quite a few of the fawcett "how to build boats" books and about 10 years of "boatbuilder" but at my age I think another venture into boatbuilding is no longer in the cards.
Just trying to sell off the old outboards and a put-put around the lake in the tin skiff keeps me occupied -

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

legend
10-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I like your boat,NICE JOB!

PatMarlin
10-05-2011, 11:31 PM
That boat has direct drive inboard written all over it. Not as easy as an install as an I/O but it would give you more hp.