PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Factor....

Sonnypie
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
... or a sack of shot = sack of Boolits.

So I got in a zone yesterday. I had some lead in the pot from melted shot (Magnum Shot). I decided to cast it rather than ingot it.
Things went so well, I decided to open another sack and started adding it. As it went down I kept adding.
The Lee 6 banger was drinkin lead and shi... spittin out boolits into a 5 gallon bucket of cool water.
The last of the sack went in the hole, and the pot ran dry.
I didn't think I was going to be able to get the 5 gal bucket of water and boolits out of the shop! But I did.
Yield is a shot sack full of 45 cal, 230 grain boolit shaped ingots. ;-) And no, Ima nota gonna count them.
But 28.9 pounds of boolits. Calculates out to 879 boolits in the bag where #7 1/2 shot used to live.

My reckoning is that a sack of boolits beats a bar of lead for storage. :veryconfu

Then I loaded up Lyman #2 Formula and started doing 30 cal in the 2-banger mold... I have got to get a multi-holer rifle boolit mold!
I'm approaching 5000 boolits cast since I fell into this trap. :shock:
Too much fun! :cbpour:

Sonnypie
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
BTW, now I get to loob and size them.
But I have a feeder now for my sizer operation. :holysheep
Crazy like a fox. [smilie=p:

a.squibload
10-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Hmmm, I'm thinking shot feeder, like a powder trickler, to feed the pot?
With a float like in the toilet tank...

onesonek
10-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I wish I had a source of cheap mag shot. It too expensive here, to use for a straight alloy for boolits. I did smelt and ingotize some approx. 10oz. bars in case I need it for As enrichment of another alloy that I want As in.
How did those .45's cast with it straight? I would have thought a touch of Sn would be needed. Then too, wasn't the all that graphite in your casting pot a pain to deal with?
Just curious......