PDA

View Full Version : Case Neck Expander solution needed

offshore44
09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I have been fiddling around with shooting paper patched out of my 8mm Mauser, with good success. It appears to be time to get serious about it.

I need to size my case necks to about 0.323", or a little less (TBD) for the paper patched boolits to fit correctly. The Redding Neck sizer that I have sizes the neck to 0.312" without the expander and the expander ball opens it back up to 0.321". Ideally, I would just size to 0.323" or there-abouts and load away. I have found a competition neck sizer that has different sized bushings that could work, but it is kinda out of my price range.

The question is: Where can I find a Redding expander ball, or a substitute, that will size my case necks to the size I want that is cheap enough to be a throw away if it is the wrong size? If I had a lathe, it would be a no-brainer. I'd just make several in different sizes to get where I needed to be. Once I get the correct size identified, I plan on honing out my neck sizing die to minimize working the brass to much...

Oh, I shoot gas checked out of this rifle as well as paper patched, so I would end up with two different neck sizer dies. That's kinda besides the point of this discussion though. This rifle is gloriously accurate with both kinds of cast boolits right now, which is why I am pursuing that last little bit accuracy.

Thanks for the ideas!

Calamity Jake
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Lyman "M" die with custom expanders available from lyman, a .321 should work for both.

Remove the expander from your size die, size all cases then expand the neck with the M die.