PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550B primer feed?

David Turner
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a Dillon 550B that I purchased years ago in getting ready for retirement but listening to everyone, I started with a Lee single stage press. In reading the Lee Precision handbook that I purchased with the press, I am scared to death to use the tube feed system on the Dillon machine. Friends are talking that I should now get a "blast Shield" ! Scary.

Those of you that are using 550B's; have you had problems? Are you concerned?

I had one fellow tell me not only do I need a blast shield but I should put some protective metal above the machine on the ceiling. His point was that when the stack of primers goes off, it will protect the drywall!

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Gunslinger1911
09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't worry, Lee is just trying to sell their method of priming.

Dillon machines are some of the best thought out reloaders in the biz.

I have loaded 100"s of thousands of rounds on a 550B.

mtgrs737
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I agree with gunslinger, I have two 550B's and have never had a problem after loading thousands of rounds. If you look at the priming system you will see that Dillon already has a blast shield incorporated in their design. The steel outer tube and the aluminum inner tube that houses the actual primers. I think they did this for strength as the aluminum primer tube would not be very strong and not as a safety feature although it may of worked out that way.

To me the primer system is not a safety issue. Buy Dillon with confidence!

rmcc
09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Somebody is trying to sell you something!! I have reloaded upwards of 100k of various calibres on 550's. I have NEVER had a primer go off let alone the stack. I am not saying it couldn't happen, I just can't imagine how you could without deliberately trying to set them off!! The primer tube itself is thicker than most pipe. Rest easy in your mind, Dillons are some of the best reloading equipment around.

Rich

lesharris
09-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I have personally loaded thousands on rounds, with small and large primers , on 3 seperate Dillon presses including the 550B and never had an issue or doubt with them. They are well shielded as is.

Colorado4wheel
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
I have a Dillon 550B that I purchased years ago in getting ready for retirement but listening to everyone, I started with a Lee single stage press. In reading the Lee Precision handbook that I purchased with the press, I am scared to death to use the tube feed system on the Dillon machine. Friends are talking that I should now get a "blast Shield" ! Scary.

Those of you that are using 550B's; have you had problems? Are you concerned?

I had one fellow tell me not only do I need a blast shield but I should put some protective metal above the machine on the ceiling. His point was that when the stack of primers goes off, it will protect the drywall!

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

First off, the Load Master is a JOKE when it comes to safety. With out a blast shield (which is a option btw) you got a 100 primers pointing right at your face. Yes, get the blast shield on any Lee Progressive. That is a scary press with out one.

Second, the Dillons all have a blast shield that directs the blast up and away from the user. Plenty safe. Drywall can be protected with a small piece of plywood. But it's not needed. Any progressive with automatic priming can have a detention. It's not common but it can happen. I would rather have it go up and away then pointed at my face (even with a blast shield) like on a Lee Progressive. Don't worry about it on a Lee Turret with the Safety Prime.

Alvarez Kelly
09-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I've loaded on 2 Dillon 550s for years. Never had a primer detonate. I've also loaded on Square Deals. Same results. Of the few detonation reports I have heard of, all were on 1050s and all were when the operator admits to "forcing" something. The priming system on the 1050 is completely different than other Dillon presses. Oh, and I have one of them too. No detonations on it either.

So, along with everyone else so far, I say relax. Take your time. Enjoy reloading, and just don't "force" if something doesn't feel right. After a while, you will KNOW if something doesn't feel right. That is one of the advantages built into the 550 design.

Happy loading!

357shooter
09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Agree with everyone. No blast shield is needed and nothing scary about loading with a Dillon 550.

LUBEDUDE
09-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Amen to what others have said - the big tube around the small tube IS the blast sheid.

You can be confident with Dillon.

BruceB
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Many years ago, gunwriter Ed Matunas decided to test the blast shield on a Dillon press....probably a 450.

He filled the tube with 100 primers and fired a bullet (.223, maybe?) right through it from 100 yards. He said, "The fireball was impressive!" The photo of the tube showed that the only damage was the bullet hole ....the rest of the tube was intact.

As stated, all the Dillons already have a steel blast shield, and it does work as designed.

KYCaster
09-29-2011, 10:50 PM
I agree with everyone else. It's not worth losing any sleep over.

BUT.........I had a neighbor where I usta live who managed to set off a tube full of primers on a 550..........four different times!! He had a piece of plywood screwed to the ceiling above his press and it was blackened and pock marked.

He also had numerous failures to fire and failures to chamber...and destroyed two guns with double charges. He also admitted to three negligent discharges inside his house.

Does that mean that the Dillon 550 is unsafe to operate? If course not! It just means that there are people who shouldn't operate any kind of machinery.

Just use the common sense the Good Lord gave you and wear proper safety glasses when you reload, regardless of the machine or method you use. (hearing protection is optional :roll:)

Jerry

MtGun44
09-30-2011, 12:26 AM
The Dillon HAS a blast shield. It is a heavy gage seamless steel tube around the
primer tube. I have loaded on a 450 or 550 since 1982, many, many hundreds of thousands
of rounds, not one single primer pop EVER.

Don't sweat it. Move the handle at a reasonable speed and you will never have a
problem.

I literally can't imagine how the idiot mentioned above managed to set off a primer unless
he was using a hammer on something. Maybe by really slamming the handle around super
fast, but that is pretty crazy.

Bill

357shooter
09-30-2011, 05:40 PM
BUT.........I had a neighbor where I usta live who managed to set off a tube full of primers on a 550..........four different times!! [smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:

Pete P
09-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Same thing here, 10,000 9mms on a Dillon Square Deal and 1000 on a NEW 550b, no problems.

Waldog
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Been loading for 45+ years on all types of gear. Never had a primer cook off while reloading

whd45
10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree with what others have said, don't worry about it. I love my 550 and have had no problems with it.

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2011, 03:14 PM
650s have a bit of rep for blowing primer tubes but i have never heard of it happening with a 550. Ive probably loaded a half a million rounds on the two 550s ive owned and its never happened to me.

btroj
10-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't need the piece of metal on the ceiling , I would want it in my shorts if I had a tube of primers go off!

I use my 550B with no worries.

Huntducks
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Lets see we have blast shields on presses now and haz mat suits to cast with for fear of lead, what's next????:killingpc

Some need to take up checkers, oh guess you could hurt your wrist...:holysheep.

By the way dry wall has a fire rating like 1hr on 5/8"

jakharath
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm with everyone else. Don't worry about it. Switch to Dillon and don't look back.

mongo
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I actually had a primer go off while seating in my 550b. I was loading .357 using new starline brass and federal primers. Did not force anything. Seating the primer felt the same as all the other ones that were seated. I have been reloading upwards of 35 years and have been using the 550b for about the last 9-10 and never had one go off. Must have been a hell of a bad primer, LOL

frankenfab
10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Blast shield?

http://fundraisingcoach.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/theforce-luke.jpg

Colorado4wheel
10-03-2011, 08:22 PM
The good side of the force used a BLUE light saber. The dark side used a RED light saber. Coincidence?????? I think not.

btroj
10-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Why didn't the dark side use a dark saber rather than a light saber?

Alvarez Kelly
10-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I actually had a primer go off while seating in my 550b. I was loading .357 using new starline brass and federal primers. Did not force anything. Seating the primer felt the same as all the other ones that were seated. I have been reloading upwards of 35 years and have been using the 550b for about the last 9-10 and never had one go off. Must have been a hell of a bad primer, LOL

As many of you may know, Federal primers are the softest, and by far, the most likely to be "accidentally" set off. They are a favorite BECAUSE they will fire even if the firing pin hits lightly for some reason. Cost/Benefit analysis... I only use Federals. I absolutely WANT them to go off. I've had too many CCI and Winchester primers dented but not fired. Never had a Federal fail me.

missionary5155
10-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Good morning
Been cranking a Dillon since 1988 & I buy primers by the 5000 pack. Never seen any detonation nor know anyone who has seen one. I am sure it is possible.. but I do not think Dillon is going to sell a product knowing it will cause bodily harm.
Mike inPeru

Geraldo
10-04-2011, 08:13 AM
No problems with either of my 550s, and my Redding T7 has essentially the same primer tube setup.

For a long time my single stage reloading was done on an RCBS Rockchucker with an aluminum primer tube staring up at me. No problems there either.