PDA

View Full Version : Chicks with guns

looseprojectile
09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
This fits better here than anywhere.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44690575/ns/today-today_people/t/chicks-guns-million-us-women-pack-heat?GT1=43001

I have never seen anything on the MSM as good as this.

Life is good

garbear
09-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I just read the article and enjoyed it. I have 5 daughters so it was nice to read different womens reasons to own fire arms. I may even buy the book for my girls.

Garbear

Catshooter
09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
It didn't stay up for very long I notice. But it's a good artcle and a good start.

Cat

cbrick
09-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow, had to look twice to see that really was MSNBC. I wonder if she got canned for that article?

I know women with more guns than I have, nothing strange about it.

A fact of life is that women have better conversational skills than men, another is that women have better hand eye coordination than men. Several times I've seen men snicker because they were competeing against a woman . . . and then get their clocks cleaned. Many women are excellent shooters, they have a built in advantage. Doesn't mean that because they are female they will win but if they want it bad enough and pracitce enough they do have an advantage and can become great shots. I have great respect for several of the women shooters that I know.

More power to the lady's, they should each treat themselves to another gun.

Rick

btroj
09-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I was never more proud than when a I not only got a female coworker to go shooting for the first time in her life but she ended up buying her own GP100. To me it was a victory. I took a potential anti gunner and showed her it was a safe, enjoyable hobby. She now has a vastly different view of firearms.

RayinNH
09-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Did you notice that all of the women pictured were quite attractive, not the mean faced clipped haired type...Ray

Bad Water Bill
09-28-2011, 08:25 PM
The page is still working. I just sent it ALL over Illinois. Thanks for the post.

pls1911
09-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Ray, come on, let's be honest.... gals with guns are always more attractive than when they're not packing.
My pitch is this,,, Life is a choice.. choose to be a victim, or choose to be a victor. Period.
I won't loose much sleep from someone choosing to be a victim, but I'll champion every single person who has an investment and committment to family, country and sweat.
Every American should go through boot camp.
Every American should give service time.
We'd have very few whiners left, and a lot more who have concept of personal accountability..

Blacksmith
09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Girls are better students than boys. The girls will listen and generally become excellent shots. The boys know it all and take longer to give up bad habits. Some boys quit when the girls outshoot them.

I've been training new shooters for going on 40 years.

Blacksmith

Roundnoser
09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Overall an OK article, but I don't trust those kinds of media outlets. I think they always have an agenda. I only found one sentence in the article I did not like...

"...capturing artistic and arresting portraits of women with their weapons of choice."

"ARRESTING" portraits? Interesting choice of words...kinda sounds like a crime was committed somewhere. It might be nothing, but I still don't trust them (media).

jmsj
09-28-2011, 09:04 PM
looseprojectile,
Thanks for posting this. I was surprised at the number of women that claimed to be gun owners in the article.

Blacksmith,
I think that you are correct. The example that comes to mind is my own two children. My rule for starting the kids shooting was they had to be able to listen quietly, follow directions and not argue. My daughter started shooting when she was 5 and my son was not ready till he was 7. Both are good shooters but She was a much better shot then he was when they were beginning.
jmsj

wgr
09-28-2011, 11:33 PM
my oldest girl has never shot a gun. but last week she called and ask if i would teach her. i ask her if she had ask my son in law . she told me if if she was going to handle firearms i would teach her and no one else. man i proud of my little 40 year old girl

looseprojectile
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
"arresting", in the context it was used meant, "grabs your attention".
Very arresting story about the book.;-)
The State Trooper that lives down the road from me figures everyone is armed in my County. Probably near true.

Life is good

SciFiJim
09-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I liked the money quote from the author on the lessons that she learned in doing the article.

“One is that on the subject of guns, nobody is neutral. And the other is that when you get outside of the blue-state cities, everybody has a gun.”

First one is a no brainer..The second one made me laugh because while I understand the universal truth of it (with exceptions). it would be a startling fact to the anti gun crowd.

After doing an informal, VERY low profile survey of my coworkers, it turns out that all of them are gun owners (even the liberal ones). This is in a unionized, cough:govt:cough office.

MtGun44
09-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Great article and great pix. Good lookers and a wide breadth of experience.

I LOVED the quote:

“I learned two main lessons while working on this book,” said McCrum,
who divides her time between New York City and California . . . . . . when
you get outside of the blue-state cities, everybody has a gun.”

Yep, isn't it GREAT! Not everybody is like the sissified folks in much of
CA and NYC. And we know how to use them.

PS - I know that there are a lot of shooters in CA, but the typical Hollyweird,
SanFran, and LA types are pretty out of touch, as are many (most?) in NYC.

Bill

waksupi
09-29-2011, 01:02 AM
At the last gun show, was a real fine looking blonde gal, hair down to her butt, wearing a low slung six shooter. I fell in lust.

fatnhappy
09-29-2011, 01:54 AM
At the last gun show, was a real fine looking blonde gal, hair down to her butt, wearing a low slung six shooter. I fell in lust.

Was it a first generation colt? please describe the pistol and caliber......

mroliver77
09-30-2011, 12:56 AM

Pictures Ric, pictures!!!!

waksupi
09-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Best I could do.

MtGun44
09-30-2011, 01:19 AM
I've fallen in lust before. Tough to get that stuff out of jeans. . . . . . . and other places.

Happened a long time ago.

Bill

9.3X62AL
09-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Largely the same story across the mountains in Ridgecrest, SciFiJim. This isn't Los Angeles, by a dern sight.

Buckshot
09-30-2011, 02:10 AM
..........If the dern book doesn't cost $50, I'll have to pick up a copy. Looks interesting and I think deserves the support. I have another book purchased a year or 2 back, called "Armed America". It was similar to the "Chicks with guns" book. It was neither political, nor was it for, or against. It was simply a book by someone interested in the myriad folks, married, single, young or old who owned firearms (I HEARTILY dislike calling a firearm a weapon in casual conversation) and that you cannot stereotype a simple gunowner, or real gun loonie's (like us :-)).

................Buckshot

a.squibload
09-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Yep, same as a brick, it's only a weapon if you have to use it that way.
Sometimes my wife calls 'em "weepons", for some reason.
One time I threw an empty beverage can as far as I could, said "shoot that",
she hip-shot it with her 38 Ladysmith (2" barrel).
I think she was showin' off.

Bad Water Bill
09-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Yep, same as a brick, it's only a weapon if you have to use it that way.
Sometimes my wife calls 'em "weepons", for some reason.
One time I threw an empty beverage can as far as I could, said "shoot that",
she hip-shot it with her 38 Ladysmith (2" barrel).
I think she was showin' off.

Man don't EVER EVER' EVER get that lady mad at you. :D

Flinchrock
09-30-2011, 05:49 AM

I understand completely!

Bob Krack
09-30-2011, 05:53 AM
In perusing several of the narratives of some of the gals mad me think of the current hit (or semi hit) song by Trace Atkins "She thinks we're just fishin".

Bob

firefly1957
10-01-2011, 08:16 AM
It is so good to see a main media outlet do a positive story on firearms for a change. Maybe they are learning the truth and will continue down the path towards the light of truth.

mroliver77
10-01-2011, 10:24 AM
It is so good to see a main media outlet do a positive story on firearms for a change. Maybe they are learning the truth and will continue down the path towards the light of truth.

+1
Jay

captaint
10-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Last spring I took one of the young MARRIED female teachers to the club to shoot my 1911 and a 38 revolver. It was her first time shooting. Lately, she has been buggin to go again.
I asked her "we need a little recoil fix, do we??" She said "there's just something majic happening when I pull that trigger". I just smiled and said, yeah.... I was so proud.. enjoy Mike

cbrick
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
(I HEARTILY dislike calling a firearm a weapon in casual conversation) Buckshot

I couldn't possibly agree more. In fact about 25 years ago our club mandated that while calling the line on the PA system the word "weapon" will never be used. It is not a weapon unless you are using it that way. If you are playing baseball and it's your turn at bat that chunk of wood in your hands is NOT a weapon, if however I am beating you about the head and shoulders with it . . . Well, now it's a weapon!

The commonly tossed around term "weapon" is fuel for the anti's and we should put some thought into how we use it.

Rick

fishnbob
10-01-2011, 12:20 PM
That is soooooooo hot! I can feel it coming over me again. I think I'm in love. Thanks for the pic.

shooterg
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I ordered the book for a Christmas present - of course I'll read it first ! About $35, but since it's "dual purpose", (reading for me and a check off on the Christmas list), good deal for me.

1bluehorse
10-01-2011, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=pls1911;1412233]Ray, come on, let's be honest.... gals with guns are always more attractive than when they're not packing.

Double whammy WOW!! if they're horseback [smilie=p:... something special about a woman on a horse...boots, chaps, wide brimmed hat and if she's packin iron. Well, just can't get any better than that..:bigsmyl2:

Catshooter
10-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I dig a woman that packs. Wish mine would.

All my guns are weapons boys and I'm sorry you don't like it. Well wait, I take that back. I do have two .22 rifles, they aren't.

But all the rest are. Even the smallest I own, a .22 High Standard HD. In fact it's been blooded. My dad shot his first Japenase with it.

The ones that aren't blooded are still weapons as that's what they're for, that's the intention behind 'em.

Cat