PDA

View Full Version : What brand of animal bedding works for tumbling cases

bobthenailer
09-28-2011, 08:09 AM
HI ! what brand of animal bedding of litter works like corn cob to polish brass cases thats avaliable from wall mart or a feed store ?
Thanks Bob

speedyr
09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
check to see if you have a harbor freight nearby. they have coarse and fine grit walnut hulls. Abut $25 and easy to find a 20% off coupon if you look around for a 25 lb box. I picked up the fine and with a little bit of dillon polish it's been great.

other than that, pretty sure you should be looking for "lizard litter" in the pet shops...

Ziptar
09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
The corn cob pet litter you find in stores is not suitable for tumbling brass, it uses the entire cob and is too soft and gummy because of all the pith and chaff to do Any good. It'll just plug up your primer pockets.

http://www.gritocob.com/images/slide_bkgd2.png

Corn cob blasting media only uses the "woody ring" portion of the cob and that's what you want for tumbling and the grit is the right size to keep from plugging up primer pockets and flash holes.

If you can't find corn cob blasting media locally drillspot has the best online price for it http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

The walnut pet bedding is called "Zilla Lizard Litter Desert Blend Ground English Walnut Shells" and it does work well for tumbling brass if the pet store option is all you have.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3922071284_05cd70c600.jpg

Otherwise bulk walnut blasting media in 40 or 50 lb bagd costs less per pound.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
thanks for the link. I ordered a bag of the corn cob grit just a few minutes ago.

Rich

Whiterabbit
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I use zilla dry with great results on brass. If I pre-treat in a liquid detergent to break up powder stains, the results are even better.

ReloaderFred
09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
You mean the ground corn cob I've been buying in 40 pound bags for the last 20 years won't work?? The current price at my local supplier is $15.50 per bag for the corn cob. My brass is so bright you need sunglasses to just handle it.

There are several brands that work well, with Bed-O-Cob being one of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

evan price
09-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Been buying the Zilla walnut online, it works great and cheap to boot if you shop around.

Ziptar
09-29-2011, 04:56 AM
You mean the ground corn cob I've been buying in 40 pound bags for the last 20 years won't work?? The current price at my local supplier is $15.50 per bag for the corn cob. My brass is so bright you need sunglasses to just handle it.

There are several brands that work well, with Bed-O-Cob being one of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I can't speak for what you use but, I bought a bag of "Kay-Tee Kay Kob" bedding and tried it. I might as well have tumbled my brass in Play-Doh.

It didn't clean / polish worth snot and there wasn't a primer pocket / flash hole that didn't need to have the stuff picked out of it.

Night and day difference between the Corn Cob Blasting Media and the Corn Cob Pet Bedding in my experience.

Bret4207
09-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh boy! Sorry, but when I read the post title all I could picture was a guy loading up his polisher with a big soggy gob of urine soaked sawdust out of the alleyway. That the curse of the agricultural mindset, "animals" tend to be cows, steers, sheep, etc. I think it would take about 40 of those bags to bed one cow.

It was a good chuckle!

bobthenailer
09-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks ! i ordered from drill spot

avogunner
09-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the zilla worked ok but it was very "dusty". When I popped the lid of the tumbler there was a cloud of escaping dust and the brass was left with a fine coating....it was a PIA to wipe clean each piece. Although, it did seem to lessen somewhat after it had been used a while.

brow_tines
10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
How about throwing a dryer sheet in your tumbler to cut down on dust ?

DLCTEX
10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Drill spot is the way to go. Shipped to your door, cost me less than $20 about a year ago. The finer grit doesn't plug flash holes.

trixter
10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
How about throwing a dryer sheet in your tumbler to cut down on dust ?
I cut 1" strips of dryer sheets and usually put 2 strips in the tumbler with my brass cuts out the dust problem and keeps the media cleaner a lot longer, also, when the tub of my tumbler gets really bad black ring around I just take to the sink and a good scrub gets rid of all annoying crud.

brow_tines
10-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, that's what I do, I was just asking the other guys why don't they do that, when they was talking about dust

bigjason6
10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I cut 1" strips of dryer sheets and usually put 2 strips in the tumbler with my brass cuts out the dust problem and keeps the media cleaner a lot longer, also, when the tub of my tumbler gets really bad black ring around I just take to the sink and a good scrub gets rid of all annoying crud.

I'm going to give that a shot tonight! If you do shotshell reloading on a mec machine, dryer sheets really cut down the static in the powder bottle. Just take a sheet and wipe it around the inside of the bottle with a dowel rod and your problems are gone!