PDA

View Full Version : Update to:S&W says no lead boolits for me

castblaster
09-27-2011, 10:12 PM
here is the original thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=127717

Well S&W called me today. We talked and decided a refund was going to be best for both of us.

They said that because of the new rifling process that all the barrels were the same. And we agreed that a new barrel that looked the same was not going to work for my use(boolits).

This out come is ok with me. I will be able to look on the used market for an older Smith to shoot Boolits out of.

Matt

Piedmont
09-28-2011, 01:54 AM
So they are basically admitting all of the new barrels are flawed. Wonderful.

Dale53
09-28-2011, 02:32 AM
I don't pretend to understand S&W's position on this.

I have two fairly new 625's (a 625-6 Model of 1989 and a 625-8 JM Special). They shoot better, or at least as good, as the best revolver I have (and I have a bushel basket of revolvers in various calibers).

I shoot NOTHING but my own cast bullets and these two revolvers have had several thousand rounds through them. I clean them no oftener than 300-500 rounds. I get NO leading whatsoever. I would have to say that my barrels on these two revolvers are as good as my older Smith's in every way.

I remain puzzled...

Dale53

PbHurler
09-28-2011, 06:32 AM
"They said that because of the new rifling process that all the barrels were the same."
(Read as: "We're producing crappy barrels, will continue to, and you'll have to like it")

Un freekin' believable!

Bret4207
09-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Sad, very sad.

imashooter2
09-28-2011, 07:07 AM
I've bought 3 new S&Ws since 2005 and none looked like the pictures you posted. When did S&W go to this new process?

bobthenailer
09-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I bought a new 629 2 years ago and it shoots cast bullets excellent with no leading. actually ive never had a S&W revolver really lead the bore with approate loads.
When did they change the rifleing process ?

VA Shooter
09-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Well look on the bright side now you can own an American work horse a RUGER

Guesser
09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
I had a 66-5 from 1999 that I could never free from sucking lead. None of my other S&W blued steel revolvers did it, all were older. All my loads work in all my other guns but that 66-5 finally went away and I got a 1919 Colt. End of problem!!!!!!

captaint
09-28-2011, 07:54 AM
This is really disappointing. I've been looking at a new 625 as my next new piece. Now, it'll have to be used. OK, used it is!!!! enjoy Mike

Jack Stanley
09-28-2011, 07:57 AM
"They said that because of the new rifling process that all the barrels were the same."
(Read as: "We're producing crappy barrels, will continue to, and you'll have to like it")

Un freekin' believable!

That must be a standard factory response . I got the same thing from Ruger and Marlin years ago . I stopped buying from them just the same as I did from S&W when they did the "deal" with Clinton . I guess eventually these old guns I have will break or wear out and I can use them to keep someone elses old gun working longer using the parts that still work .

On the other hand they could get their act together but let's not hold out breath waiting .

Jack

3006guns
09-28-2011, 08:00 AM
This thread may have saved me from making a very expensive mistake....

For many years, I prayed that Smith and Wesson would crank up production of the 1917 revolvers in .45 acp...my idea of a good, heavy belt revolver. Not a wanna be magnum because it doesn't need to be. My prayers were answered in recent years with the introduction of their line of "classic" revolvers, including the long desired 1917. It could even be had with a case hardened/colored frame. Wowee!

Now I find out that their barrel quality is the pits. Too bad, as I finally have the money. S&W just lost a customer......almost the same as when Bangor Punta was running it. Back then, it seemed every new S&W felt like it was trundled down a conveyer belt and fell into a box full of sand.

When will they learn that customers stick to a specific brand because of guaranteed QUALITY???? You can build plastic parts for my car, but don't cheapen my guns......ever.

bcp477
09-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Well, I am glad for you. At least you won't be out much, except time and effort (and what expense you've incurred for components, etc.). Under the circumstances, I think that is the least S&W could do.

It is sad, though (what S&W said). Hard to believe that they find this acceptable - that ANY such company would.

I guess that, from now on, I must look at (new) S&W's with a jaundiced eye - they have definitely lost a big portion of my respect.

Bwana
09-28-2011, 08:12 AM
A refund was the eventual outcome of my experience with Marlin in the early 90's. I bought a '94 in 44Mag and it had a bulge in the barrel where the dovetail slot that attached the forend to the barrel was cut. Two trips back, one to replace the bbl, which wasn't done and another when they replaced the barrel but left grind marks and no bluing on the bolt was too much for me. After much run a round I called the company President at his house and talked to his wife. She was very pleasent and concerned and after that things started happening. I had requested a refund and payment for the receiver sight I bought. They sent me a check for the amount I asked and asked me to send the gun back when I got around to it. I have not bought another gun from them and I most likely will not ever do so.

Shuz
09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I would like to know how much of their revolver business is with cast boolit shooters.
I'm hopeing their revolver sales will decrease as a result of their unsuitable bbls, but I doubt it.

Has anybody else seen the same lousy bbls on a recent new purchase as Castblaster?

Love Life
09-28-2011, 09:53 AM
I would like to know how much of their revolver business is with cast boolit shooters.
I'm hopeing their revolver sales will decrease as a result of their unsuitable bbls, but I doubt it.

Has anybody else seen the same lousy bbls on a recent new purchase as Castblaster?

Yes. A S&W 327 Performance Center TRR8. The key words here being performance center. I sold it and am now buying a Ruger.

Char-Gar
09-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Well you "took on for the team" with your experience. I am sorry you had to put up with the angst, but we all learned something and are grateful to you for the knowledge.

pistolman44
09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Bought a new 625 5" around 2005, it shoots cast very well. Got a 45 PB gas check maker on order from Pat. I hope the PB gas checks shrink the groups more. But it doesn't out shoot my custom built 45 ACP's.

44magnum1979
09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I bougth a new with lock. 629 this year and my barrel doesnt look like his and mine does shoot my cast boolits well.

Freischütz
09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Have you posted this on the Smith & Wesson forum? I'd be interested to see the reaction over there.

dverna
09-28-2011, 05:22 PM
I doubt that S&W would set up a process, on purpose, that would result in all their revolvers being unable to shoot lead bullets. That makes no sense.

It is more likely they decided the OP was "difficult to work with" and issued a refund. If I was interested in a S&W revolver, I would send this thread and the previous one to them for comment; and tell them my decision to purchase their product is based on getting their response.

Don

HDS
09-29-2011, 01:20 AM
So they are basically admitting all of the new barrels are flawed. Wonderful.

It also seems like they intend keeping on producing useless junk barrels like this, if they cannot even get a replacement barrel for him. In that case it seems the only lesson we can take from this, is to never buy a new S&W again because they will all be similarly flawed.

Seems like a great way to destroy your reputation overrnight, I guess they really got tired of being on top of the revolver game.

Jon K
09-29-2011, 02:48 AM
I bought a 627PC 5" within the last year, and have only put about 600 rounds thru it.........I have had no issues with leading, or gas cutting as described.
It's smooth and shoots great, so far I have only shot it 50/75/100 yds. It likes the Saeco #358 w/7gr Unique.
The only issue I have with this gun, is that the DA won't lite Rem 7 1/2 primers consistantly.

I'm with Dale53 on S&W position on this, and I'm sure the lawyers have a big say in what company policy statements are made.

Jon

MikeS
09-29-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't remember exactly was wrong with the OP's gun, was it something that can be seen by handling one of the guns? If so, than it would be something to look at/for when buying a new gun from a gun shop where you can handle the gun before you buy it.

imashooter2
09-29-2011, 06:57 AM
I still would like to know when S&W started this new process that makes all barrels bad, since I have 3 newer S&Ws and none of them have barrels that look anything at all like the OPs pictures.

Jim_Fleming
09-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Just remember that S&W is fully aware of a forum that has 20,000+ registered members, and the P.R. damage they've done to themselves, by letting the bean counters run the business!

If not, they soon will be! It's about time for good old American quality to assert itself AGAIN!

Sent from my Droid

cbr
09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I bought a new S&W 629 about 2 weeks ago, and while it does have the "rocket ship things" between the lands, they appear to be smooth, and I am having great luck with cast lyman 429421 boolits as long as I use a good lube. It shoots great with no leading. It did come with some new grips that I hated and had to be replaced ASAP. I gues they no longer ship them with hogues.

Moondawg
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a S&W 686+ that was born in June, 2011. It's forcing cone and barrel don't look like that. The pistol shoots cast bullets great. In fact that is all I shoot in it. After a hunded rounds or so, it has very light leading which quickly brushes out. I think you got a lemon. BTW, the action on my 686 came from the factory with a smooth as butter double action. I took the lock out and put a plug in so it is now about a perfect 357.

Shuz
09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Perhaps the "rocket ship things" are only in the .44 bbls?

alamogunr
09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Did this get posted on the S&W forum? If so, under what user name?

I have considered a new S&W. Now I'm not sure. The last(and only) new S&W handgun I purchased was a K22 Masterpiece in 1961. I was a poor college student working for $25/wk in the summer. I bought it because I could shoot it for very little $$.

Love Life
09-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I bought a 627PC 5" within the last year, and have only put about 600 rounds thru it.........I have had no issues with leading, or gas cutting as described.
It's smooth and shoots great, so far I have only shot it 50/75/100 yds. It likes the Saeco #358 w/7gr Unique.
The only issue I have with this gun, is that the DA won't lite Rem 7 1/2 primers consistantly.

I'm with Dale53 on S&W position on this, and I'm sure the lawyers have a big say in what company policy statements are made.

Jon

I had the same issue. If you remove the grip and tighten the screw in the grip frame it should clear it up. I plan on buying other S&W in the future, but it will take me a while to get over the lemon I got.

Leading was never a major issue for me. The issue I had was the gun shooting loose after a couple thousand 38 special loads and a few minor things. As I have said before I believe a $900+ fun should be damn near perfect right out of the box. You don't pay good money for something that may be a project gun. When you pay that money you expect the company to deliver what they promise in their top of the line gun.

badbob454
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Well look on the bright side now you can own an American work horse a RUGER

go super redhawk !:Fire: