PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy...Lyman 45

tinyejp
09-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey there, fellas...

I have an opportunity to buy a Lyman 45 Lube-sizer for $60. Seems in fair-to-middlin condition, but comes with no dies. The gentleman assures me that it does, in fact, function.

To me, it seems a bit on the high side. I have no Lubrisizer currently and have been pan lubing for quite a while with fine results. I am shooting enough these days that it tends to be a pain in the kiester to do so, however. You know- more like work than play.

Thoughts?

How much do dies tend to be these days?

Thanks in advance for the loan of your gray matter.

HeavyMetal
09-27-2011, 11:40 PM
60's a touch on the high side but it would have to have a sizing die of my choice at that price!

You'll find most on e bay run 50 or so, some with several dies.

I realize money is tight all over these days, Heck I started out with a 45 I payed 10 for back in the 70's!

I see patience as a virtue these days and I think I'd make an offer in the 40 dollar range as it will cost you most of 20 to get a sizing die!

Don't be insulting simply state you've done you " due diligence" as far as parts prices go and this is what you consider a fair offer now that you know what it needs to be a "turn key" casting tool!

If he goes for it you win if he doesn't go for it you still win because a better deal may come to your door tomorrow!

Good luck.

Recluse
09-28-2011, 12:40 AM
$60 bucks and no shipping? Hell, I'd take it. That's about what I gave for my two Lyman 45's and I've never looked back.

:coffee:

fryboy
09-28-2011, 12:58 AM
i've gone higher for a nice one ( complete with box etc ) the real question is is it worth it ? IMHO yes , while i wish it was stronger it's my fav of the bunch , from time to time one does see one for less in good shape , one thing to figure on is if it doesnt have o-rings on the piston the newer one fits and is a worthy up grade and about $5 plus shipping ( which is also a good time to get a couple spare o-rings anyways )

94Doug
09-28-2011, 03:45 AM
I might just wait for a better priced or one in nicer shape....however that isn't too far out of line, so it's your call. They are a good sizer.

Doug

tinyejp
09-28-2011, 06:26 AM
From the pics I saw it is in ok shape, but not great. It has the box and instructions, also in ok but not great condition. I think I'll take Heavy Metal's advice and offer low and see what he says.

adrians
09-28-2011, 11:29 PM
if it functions as it is supposed too and all parts are there i don't think you are paying too much ,borderline, but for a 45 in good working condition you ain't getting "ripped off".
i paid $50 (without shipping & handling) for mine last year and it isn't very pretty but i have already got my money's worth out of it ,,i love it,.
so $60 with no s/h ,,,go for it ,:twisted::coffeecom:evil:

Pigslayer
10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
$60 is a little high especially with out a die. But I've seen 'em go higher. Six of one . . . half dozen of the other.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-22-2011, 06:46 PM
i would pass at that price offer $55. shipped

mooman76
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Tell him you'll take it if throws in a die and maybe a top punch too. He might go for that quicker than lowering the price. Either way you won't get screwed. It's just not a great deal.