PDA

View Full Version : Why is almost everything nowdays called "Tactical"?

Hardcast416taylor
09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Maybe it`s just me, probably is! It seems that I can`t look at a gun magazine anymore that doesn`t have at least 1 article on some sort of "Tactical" weapon in it. It`s not limited to just gun mags. look at the current Brownells catalog. The first 87 pages of the catalog is devoted to the M-16 family. Further into the catalog they delve into making a shotgun a "Tactical" weapon also. I`m not limiting my gripe to the "Black rifle" alone if it isn`t this it`s "Tactical" shotguns or how to make a "Tactical" 10-22 or do you have enough "Tactical" handguns in your "Tactical" arsenal and lets not overlook the "Tactical" ammunition we should be buying? What has happened to us that this is the way we think we must arm ourselves. It seems that this is the way gun makers are heading also by offering "Tactical" versions of standby semi autos to fuel this psuedo fire. I`m just a mite old to be dressing up in camo and facepaint and screaming "OOORAH" as I chop down paper targets on a shooting range with my "Tactical" rifle or shotgun. I understand that everybody has a right to do what turns their crank. Myself, I`ll stick with my "UN-TACTICAL" bolt guns along with my pump Model 12`s and my antique Blackhawks in .45 LC.Robert

Trey45
09-27-2011, 09:38 PM
If you attach the word tactical to any item, you can add another 10 to 30% to the price tag. It's a selling point, the word has lost all meaning.

DCM
09-27-2011, 09:50 PM
If you attach the word tactical to any item, you can add another 10 to 30% to the price tag. It's a selling point, the word has lost all meaning.

+1 Sales tactic(al).

geargnasher
09-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Like "vintage" on fleabay.

Gear

btroj
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Because there are so many mall Nima types who will pay a premium for tacticool gear.

Obviously the mainstream gun owner doesn't buy enough "stuff".

RayinNH
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm with you Robert, as soon as I see "tactical" in the title of a gun rag article I turn the page...Ray

slide
09-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey Ray, If you can tack 10 to 20% on tactical items why don't you sell tactical smelting tools.

Remember,just kidding!

RayinNH
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Hey Ray, If you can tack 10 to 20% on tactical items why don't you sell tactical smelting tools.

Remember,just kidding!

Hmmm, maybe in camo colors...Ray

Blacksmith
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
FOR SALE vintage tactical gear!
Caliber .45-70 with trap door action.
Ammo loaded with solid Pb-Sn Hi Impact Boolits.
Rainbow Trajectory gets the bad guys hiding behind the Mall fountain.

Blacksmith

MtGun44
09-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Because we are at war, and the real warfighters have very cool looking guns with lots of
really cool addons. So we are hero worshipping by trying to buy gun stuff that looks like
our hero's gun.

REAL heroes.

Bill

Ickisrulz
09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Here's another way to look at it. The popularity of the blackgun may preclude any future bans on AWs. That's a good thing. In the event of a civil war, riot, invasion, holocaust scenerio (don't laugh--it has happened), etc; I will grab my AR with an Aimpoint first. It is much faster than any bolt, lever or single shot rifle. I like all kinds of firearms, but the "tactical" rifles are they way to go if it comes to fighting and the most fire power I can buy over the counter. I'm not a mall ninja in any sense of the word.

Lee
09-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Don't forget "vintage" or "antique" or even "rare"
Cmon guys, even the unemployed used car salesmen and insurance men have to make a living somehow! ..... [smilie=p: ..... Lee

wallenba
09-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm nearly 60, overweight, have arthritis and degenerative disc disease. I have no illusions about my fate if a SHTF scenario arises. I'll be picked off fairly quick. So will most of the untrained younger set with 'tactical' weapons if they are facing a trained military foe. But...if one wishes to own one, that's their business. I am a 'practicool' weapon owner myself. All my rifles are bolts except two, a 10-22 and a T/C Contender 30 Herrett. IMO, black rifles are the younger sets preference because they came in with that generation. I grew up watching westerns, so SA revolvers are my thing.

Oh yeah...how could I forget my Savage 99 lever gun?

vintagesportsman
09-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Nice wallenba..."Practicool" thats good. Its a ploy to sell more but will come back to bite us when they start passing legislation to "Dis-arm" these tactical nuts. Truth is, any man with a rifle/pistol/shotgun he is proficient with is worth more than a dozen wannabes with AR's.

sargenv
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
The same reason why Kawasaki added the name "Ninja" to a whole line of sport bikes from 125-900 cc's at once point...

Ickisrulz
09-27-2011, 11:57 PM
The same reason why Kawasaki added the name "Ninja" to a whole line of sport bikes from 125-900 cc's at once point...

While in many cases the addition of the word "tactical" is a marketing ploy, there is a very real interest in the gun culture (many younger people especially) about fighting guns. Why is this? For many it is because they are cool. For others, it's because they are useful tools designed for a specific job. I think this is along the same lines as many magazines dealing a lot with CCWs and tactics. I hope I never to have to use my CCW...or my AR15. But I'm glad I have these tools just in case.

220swiftfn
09-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Personally, I couldn't give a hoot WHAT it's called, if it's something I want / fills a need, I'm going to get it, not worry one way or another if it's "in" or "cool"........ (Tech sight for the Sks comes to mind....) I got it....... Thigh holster...... Nope......... IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) good idea to have at the range if someone gets stoopid, going to get........

Dan

geargnasher
09-28-2011, 12:09 AM
I was at a bowling pin shoot a couple of years ago and a "Mall Ninja" with his wannabe SWAT uniform on was having a go at it. Not a bad shot really, but he had so much water behind his ears it was pathetic. His pompous attitude about "using the right tool for the job" (AR of some flavor in .223) didn't help. Finally someone had enough of it and took him to school with his .357 Magnum Rossi levergun, eight pins, eight shots in seven seconds at 100 yards with buckhorn sights, standing. Ya could have heard a pin drop. Tacticool boy just kinda faded away after that.

I always wanted to see a really sharp SASS shooter take on a three-gun course, with his SASS weapons. Some of those guys can really make "modern" weapons look a lot less advantageous.

Gear

redneckdan
09-28-2011, 12:29 AM
I tried out a three gun tactical match with a S&W 15, a stoeger coach gun and a .375 H&H. They had formed the squads up before hand and when I showed up "under prepared" the organizers had to rearrange things a bit to placate the fan boys. I ended up with a group of older guys who were just there to have fun. Between running the bolt, the cylinder and the locking lever I was busier than a one legged midget in an *** kicking contest but I managed to place pretty well. Had fun too.

RugerFan
09-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Why is almost everything nowdays called "Tactical"?

That requires a tactical response and frankly, you just don't have the proper clearance. :kidding:

waksupi
09-28-2011, 12:34 AM
when many of us grew up, we had Roy Rogers and Gene Autry pistols, and a Rifleman repeater, all shooting caps, of course. As we grew up, most of the same people had a love for single action revolvers, and lever action rifles.
I think the tacticool stuff is the same syndrome, fed with a different lure.

Sonnypie
09-28-2011, 12:35 AM
I think I'll melt all my lead back down and cast it as Tacktickel Boolits.

sargenv
09-28-2011, 12:41 AM
I wonder if it partly comes from the video games of today... words like shotty and gat... words that I abhor... and I'm only in my mid 40's... I'm too young to be a "grumpy old man"... :D

lead-1
09-28-2011, 03:01 AM
I have both so-called fudd guns and tactical weapons but this crossover always gave me a chuckle.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

Recluse
09-28-2011, 04:00 AM
In my opinion, you can thank the "reality TV garbage" that has flooded the idiot tube.

Between idiotic shows like "Cops" and "Top Shot" and all the military "special ops students in school oh my god will they graduate?" type of mind-numbing nonsense, the civilian wannabes who either couldn't or wouldn't hack it in military and/or LE work resort to buying anything "tacticool" in hopes that complete strangers will think they're something they're not.

Unfortunately, this is what I run into at shooting ranges in larger cities all too frequently. A buncha mid-30's and younger yahoos strutting around in their "tactical" BDUs, "tactical" boots, black t-shirts and carrying every "black" gun or knife or laser scope or whatever they can and then regaling everyone else with what's wrong with OUR firearms. :rolleyes:

I remember when we'd see these same types back in the mid-80's roaming the gun-shows after the first couple of Rambo movies came out. Only, the jokers in question wore jungle camos and all claimed to be either ex-Green Berets (or some other "special forces") or ex-CIA "operatives" (a word and position that doesn't exist in the agency) or better yet, "mercs."

Everytime one of these phonies would tell me they were a "merc," I'd always say, "Really?! What kind of boat to do you sit on?" in reference to Mercury outboards and stern drives.

The vast majority of them weren't even ever in the service, let alone as a "special forces guy." But I had one guy tell us at our gun show table back in '91 that he'd been on SEAL Team Six back during the Tet Offensive. . .

The only good I see from all this tacticool **** is an increased interest in the very types of firearms the hanky-waving namby-pamby anti-gunners hate along with significantly increased sales and production--which is good for the firearms/firearms related industry and economy.

I don't care if I even pick up a black gun of any type for the rest of my life. I got enough of the damned things in the military and LE. Give me my wooden stock, bolt-action and lever-action rifles, pump-action shotguns and six-shooters and I'm one happy Texan.

:coffee:

Jim
09-28-2011, 04:01 AM
That thing from Stoeger reminds me of that Ranch Hand abomination. It's a handgun with no grip and a rifle with no stock. 'Bout as useless as brakes on a boat.

Bret4207
09-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Tactical, extreme, operator, area of operations, Spec Ops, vintage, rare, NEW! IMPROVED!!! and of course the most ambiguous word of all- hardcast. None of it means anything, it's fluff. The yahoos and idiots that buy something because it's mil-spec tactical extreme/Spec Ops Operator approved are the same people that buy all the other advertising hype.

Personally, I'm not going to play Mr. Dressup like David Fortier and Pete Kokalis or like the Hopalong Cassidy lookalikes in the SASS. My current adopted persona is a grumpy 50ish white male the dresses like a farmer and tend to stick his guns in pockets rather than $300.00 tactical elite holsters and is so cheap as to think one shot will suffice rather than filling the air with bras and bullets.

I have a feeling I'm not alone.

MtJerry
09-28-2011, 07:10 AM
My current adopted persona is a grumpy 50ish white male the dresses like a farmer and tend to stick his guns in pockets rather than $300.00 tactical elite holsters and is so cheap as to think one shot will suffice rather than filling the air with bras and bullets.

You are indeed not alone .......

3006guns
09-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Oh, I don't know......"filling the air with bras...." might be a lot of fun!

I recently gave my step son an SKS in normal, as issued form. Within two weeks that poor gun was sporting an aftermarket plastic pistol grip stock, bipod, red dot/laser/Darth Vader death star scope, "tactical sling", muzzle brake and a mounted flash light. A flash light for cryin' out loud! I looked it over and asked him where the Kleenex dispenser was.......

It had to weigh 15 lbs. or so. I said nothing....just let him lug it out to the range and shoot it. Within a day most of the carp came off. He's a quick learner.......:smile:

Brasso
09-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm with most everyone else on this. Gimme a walnut stock on a blued steel bolt action and I'm happy. I was in Vietnam when the M-16 was getting soldiers killed due to built in malfunctions, I have an extreme disdain for this weapon.

Sam

3006guns
09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
I have to agree with Brasso. I bought an AR15 clear back in 1974 from the (then) J&G Rifle Ranch in Texas for the magnificent sum of $229, shipped. What a sexy looking thing! Took it out to the Nevada desert and was very impressed with the cartridge, but the gun? Worst trigger pull/disconnector I've ever shot and you could hold the rifle by the pistol grip, shake it and it would rattle. And this was a Colt product too!

My "pride of ownership" lasted about a month. I took it back to the dealer who ordered it for me and traded it for a '97 Winchester trench gun. That was my first and last flirtation with "tactical" anything.........too much of a traditionalist I guess.

Blacksmith
09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Bret said

Personally, I'm not going to play Mr. Dressup like David Fortier and Pete Kokalis or like the Hopalong Cassidy lookalikes in the SASS. My current adopted persona is a grumpy 50ish white male the dresses like a farmer and tend to stick his guns in pockets rather than $300.00 tactical elite holsters and is so cheap as to think one shot will suffice rather than filling the air with bras and bullets.

And I am sure that Bret and most of the members here know just which ones are the most dangerous adversary and who is a danger to themselves and by standers.

Blacksmith

blackthorn
09-28-2011, 10:37 AM
"Like "vintage" on fleabay."

Yes it is or "green" this or that. Same old **** that was "whatever" a year or two ago is now "green"! SO---the fools and idiots will buy!!!

cobbmtmac
09-28-2011, 11:16 AM
waksupi,

I believe you nailed it:!:

Our young years are so impressionable:!: That being said, I am sure glad I grew up with Aurty, Rogers and the Rifleman.

Bret4207
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh, I don't know......"filling the air with bras...." might be a lot of fun!

Yeah, with my luck it'd be from 400 lbs porkers and 87 year old grannies!:roll:

wills
09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Could it be easier and cheaper to paint something flat black than put a good looking finish on it?

Char-Gar
09-28-2011, 11:58 AM
"Tactical" is the new word for "black".

montana_charlie
09-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Saying 'tactical' confuses the gun grabbers. Guns seem to disappear as they blend in with tactical knives, tactical clothing, tactical marketing, and tactical decision making.

Meanwhile, the grabbers are still guarding society from 'assault' rifles.

wallenba
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Good thread. People are saying what I've been thinking, and now I know I'm not alone.

pdawg_shooter
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I guess if spray and pray is your thing, than a black rifle is the way to go. You know who is the most feared man on a battlefield? The fellow with the bolt action, scoped rifle and knows how to use it. After 13 months in S.E. Asia I will stay with by bolts. Thank you.

HollowPoint
09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
"Why is almost everything nowdays called "Tactical"?"

It's a tactical marketing ploy that's seemed to have worked but, I think that marketers have slowly run that tactic into the ground.

What it's come to mean now days is simply, "Over-Priced."

HollowPoint

geargnasher
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Whaddaya mean, Bret, you can kill a woodchuck with just one shot? C'mon you KNOW you have to have at least a 20-round magazine in the gun and four more in belt carriers! Plus, how are you ever going to hit the target without a 20-power, rangefinding, laser-guided scope with auto-elevation compensation and night vision?

Gear

Adam10mm
09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I guess if spray and pray is your thing, than a black rifle is the way to go.
Quite a broad brush.

Just because a weapon has a large magazine and chambers a new round automatically doesn't mean everyone shoots it with wonton disregard for the basic principles of marksmanship.

For me, the AR is easy to work on, easy to find parts, is cheap to shoot, and is very fun. I designate it for home security because I need something that will do the job in close quarters that my wife can also handle if needed. A scoped bolt action rifle is a poor choice in this role. My AR is a very plain rifle. 16 inch barrel, standard A2 sights, a simple sling, and a small white light to ID targets in the dark in the event of a home invasion. Just the basics.

You will not see me dressed in camo of any kind unless I'm hunting. Usually then I'm either armed with my .22LR bolt action or my single shot 20ga shotgun. I do not have chest rigs or other such nonsense a civilian doesn't require.

Bret4207
09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Quite a broad brush.

Just because a weapon has a large magazine and chambers a new round automatically doesn't mean everyone shoots it with wonton disregard for the basic principles of marksmanship. True, there's always that 10% that doesn't spray and pray!

For me, the AR is easy to work on, easy to find parts, is cheap to shoot, and is very fun. I designate it for home security because I need something that will do the job in close quarters that my wife can also handle if needed. A scoped bolt action rifle is a poor choice in this role. That's why the the Good Lord invented the shotgun!My AR is a very plain rifle. 16 inch barrel, standard A2 sights, a simple sling, and a small white light to ID targets in the dark in the event of a home invasion. Just the basics.

You will not see me dressed in camo of any kind unless I'm hunting. Usually then I'm either armed with my .22LR bolt action or my single shot 20ga shotgun. I do not have chest rigs or other such nonsense a civilian doesn't require.

Don't take it personal. AR's are fun, even the not so tactical ones.

3006guns
09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
And to think, I have been eating Reguler Old Pig Bacon all this thime.

I just never knew about it????

http://thehh6life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Tactical-Bacon.jpg

Wicked.....WHERE do you find these pics??? You mean there really is a "tactical bacon"?? Now I have seen everything worth seeing on God's green earth....:groner:

Adam10mm
09-28-2011, 02:57 PM
My wife can't handle a shotgun. Even my 20ga #1 buckshot handloads. She's much more competent and confident with the AR and that's what matters in the end.

Adam10mm
09-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Wicked.....WHERE do you find these pics??? You mean there really is a "tactical bacon"?? Now I have seen everything worth seeing on God's green earth....:groner:
CMMG, an AR15 manufacturer makes and sells it on their site. It stemmed from a joke on one of the AR15 forums about the guys selling beef jerky at gun shows and what's next, tactical bacon. The owners of CMMG thought it was funny so they made it. It's poking fun at all the tactical marketing in that sector of the industry.

dragonrider
09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
And it is not limited to firearms or related things. I got a flyer in the mail today from WoodCraft and they have some hearing protectors on sale. Hyskore Over and Out Tactical Stereo Hearing Protectors. Even in your woodshop you gotta have tactical. They are only $69.99

9.3X62AL
09-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Tactical (usually) = overpriced and overhyped.

I like bolt and lever rifles, and bought an AR lower receiver largely to piss off the CA hoplophobes up in River City. If it's something those sissy-la-la nanny staters don't like, it's a pretty sure bet I'll embrace it. Just because.

There are posers and mall ninjas in most hobby fields. They serve a purpose, that being to provide entertainment for more sensible adherents. The boat angler version--show up at Dana Landing in San Diego to watch weekenders launching their crafts. Basically, a slam-dance conducted with Boston Whalers. Locals set up tailgate parties and serve beer on holiday weekends. Ah, bratwursts and boat crashes--potato salad and pickups sliding into the Bay. Lovely.

Trey45
09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Is it tactical tater salad though.

Southern Son
09-29-2011, 12:47 AM
I think that the best description of tactical I have seen was on this site. I wish that I could credit the original poster, but I cannot remember who it was. He said that he had finally worked out this tactical thing. He had his Springfeild Tactical out. He removed the magazine and then locked the slide to the rear. At this point he fumbled and dropped the pistol. As the pistol landed in his lap he tried to grab it to stop it falling to the floor, however, his thumb hit the slide release and the slide snapped shut on his left tactical.

MtGun44
09-29-2011, 12:50 AM
I used to think that ARs were short range spray and pray squirt guns. I now have a bunch
of them. They are uniformly extremely accurate, as a matter of fact, I have some pretty
accurate guns, but the reality is that my MOST accurate rifle is an AR. That includes HB
Rem 700, Sav HB varmint rifle, etc. Those two are pretty close, but the best AR will
consistently out shoot them. So much for my original opinion - run over by facts.

There are definitely a lot of really silly accessories out there, and a lot of kids playing like
they are hotshots. The type used to have a highly faked up low perf car or motorcycle
in years gone by. Folks with not much maturity, and less skill trying to be cool. Hopefully they
will grow up and get some skills eventually.

If things every go pear shaped, I'll grab an AR unless I am going to be vehicle borne and
will have the vehicle carrying the ammo, and then one of the 7.62 battle rifles would be
the choice. If I have to lug the ammo to the fight - I choose the 5.56 guns. I also am
happy that the wife has her own personal one and is good with it, "in the case of an
emergency" as the saying goes.

Also, I have known the CMMG folks at gun shows over the years and they make top quality
stuff and definitely have a good sense of humor.

Bill

Recluse
09-29-2011, 01:22 AM
The boat angler version--show up at Dana Landing in San Diego to watch weekenders launching their crafts. Basically, a slam-dance conducted with Boston Whalers. Locals set up tailgate parties and serve beer on holiday weekends. Ah, bratwursts and boat crashes--potato salad and pickups sliding into the Bay. Lovely.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

One of my favorite forms of entertainment in the early spring here in Texas is to head to the boat ramps on a Saturday, lawn chairs and cooler in hand, and watch all the "captains" launching and recovering.

I hear more props grinding against the ramps, more outdrives making the most gawdawful noise when some genius captain forgot to use that little trim button before recovering the boat, and of course, my ALL TIME FAVORITE. . . . . . . forgetting to put in the drain plug and watching the bilge pumps work double-secret probation overtime as the water-logged boat is floundering back to the ramp.

I used to think that ARs were short range spray and pray squirt guns. I now have a bunch of them.
Bill

But Bill, somehow I just can't see you dressing up in special forces t-shirts, slapping an old beret on your head, zipping up your tacticool jungle jump boots and flashing your AR with every mall-ninja's wet dream accessory list bolted or velcroed on to it. :)

You own ARs because you like them and you know how to best utilize them. If you could get the same performance out of a Mini-14, you'd own them. Or an AK47 or whatever.

Real shooters buy the tools that best augment their abilities and needs regardless of whether they're "trendy" or "cool."

And guys like you are real shooters.

:coffee:

Bret4207
09-29-2011, 07:19 AM
When people start making excuses and coming up with complex justification for what they carry around that's when we get into "Mall Ninja" mindset, whether it's AR's and AK's or 1 ton dually diesels that have never seen a load heavier than a set of golf clubs. I'm a lot more comfortable with the simple "I want it!" than I am with the poser fantasy justification.

It's kinda like the people that order the Mega Bacon Triple Cheeseburger and curly fires, super sized, and a diet soda.....huh?

theperfessor
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I think I'm going to offer a new line of tactical nose punches. I'll save time by not putting a nice shiny finish on them. I'll just dip them in a blackening compound and raise the price $2-$3 each.

Think my sales will go up?

montana_charlie
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
The most ubiquitous tactical 'tool' available to both civilian and military individuals appears to be the black ski mask.

I can understand why a terrorist or criminal would want his face hidden, and why SpecOps people need to remain anonymous. But, what is the advantage for mall ninjas and police department SWAT members?

CM

Adam10mm
09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
But, what is the advantage for mall ninjas and police department SWAT members?

CM
Small departments that have officers serving on SWAT teams also are involved in undercover operations. To hide their identity, face masks are worn. They can also be protective in the case of glass windows being broken upon entry or drug busts on a meth lab where flammable chemicals are present; I know GBPD (WI) mandates Nomex masks when doing meth lab raids.

Sensai
09-29-2011, 03:03 PM
(1 Corinthians 13:11) It all has to do with whether you are real or pretending. If only those pretending to relish combat could be put into it and let our real heroes come home, I think the popularity of "tactical" gear would greatly deminish.

Don't get me wrong, AR-15s and other guns of that genre are neither good nor bad, they're just tools. If you need a laser and a flashlight hanging on your rifle, go for it. But if you have to have every new gizmo and trinket that you see in the movies and in the game of the day, you may have a reality problem. And I'm not talking about "reality TV"!!

Can anybody help an old man down off this soapbox?

wills
09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
I think I'm going to offer a new line of tactical nose punches. I'll save time by not putting a nice shiny finish on them. I'll just dip them in a blackening compound and raise the price $2-$3 each.

Try Lindstroms ferro phosporic finish.

Love Life
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM

I would buy them. If they are tactical enough the boolits won't know what them until the get thinner.

I am with the majority here. The AR is an amazing platform as is or with just a low magnification optic or non magnification optic. It's when people start to put super flashlights, telescopes, pistol grips that hold batteries, buttstock mag holders, garage door openers, etc onto them that they get to be ridiculous. I have seen people turn an 8 pound battle ready rifle into a grossly overweight and unbalanced monster. It is quite funny actually.

As for myself I don't own an AR. I will use this analogy for why. It's like working for Dominoes and not wanting pizza for supper.

AggieEE
09-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I have a part timer here at the shop who's former SF and I told him if I ever show up with taticool anything he has my permission to shoot me. I've never been in the military and my ego is secure enough that I don't' have to pretend that I have been. I love the Marine medics from Viet Nam that I see at gun shots sometimes. Good for a laugh when I need one.
AggieEE

P.K.
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a part timer here at the shop who's former SF and I told him if I ever show up with taticool anything he has my permission to shoot me. I've never been in the military and my ego is secure enough that I don't' have to pretend that I have been. I love the Marine medics from Viet Nam that I see at gun shots sometimes. Good for a laugh when I need one.
AggieEE

I am reading this right?

Psssst.....Marines don't have medics, just ask out beloved mr. obama.

For the record and untill a few more from the, just prior to all this Gen-X nonsense started, own a few black guns and like them very much. Maybe it was my military service or just from a practical aspect. IHDK, what I do know is that when I was 18 I paid about $220.00 for a Rem 700 MTR chambered in .280. I liked that rifle alot but one thing I obsessed over was the finish or rather dinging the stock or scratching the barrel.

Now I have a go to gun that is a HD fire arm and a freezer stuffer, wheather it's mine or the Coroners worries me not. It's an SR-556/6.8 and shoots just fine, I know there were a few posts about the "reliability" of AR platforms. Well gentlemen, times do change and just about every issue that was encountered has been resolved except for lack of maintenance.

Before I get "painted" as it were sience we "Talkin' Tacticool" my weapon came with all I'll ever put on it and is a piston gun not DI. I'll eventually have to pull the system, but after 200 rounds the ammount of cleanup needed didn't warrent taking the gas system apart untill much later. As for the "finish," I really prefer a parkerized or similar finish on my weapons.

Bret4207
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I can recall when the most "taticool" item you could own was a boonie hat or maybe your Dads Ike jacket from Korea, maybe your uncles Pea Coat from his Navy days. Boy, times change, eh?

wills
09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I am reading this right?

Psssst.....Marines don't have medics, just ask out beloved mr. obama.

That was probably the point

cbrick
09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
If it's something those sissy-la-la nanny staters don't like, it's a pretty sure bet I'll embrace it. Just because.

I like the way you think!

Rick

Ickisrulz
09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I can recall when the most "taticool" item you could own was a boonie hat or maybe your Dads Ike jacket from Korea, maybe your uncles Pea Coat from his Navy days. Boy, times change, eh?

Well...how about all the surplus mail order firearms?

P.K.
09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
That was probably the point

MY Hope.....It is, I almost charged D.C. when those comments were made. The CIC not able to make that distinction is despicable.

MtGun44
09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Recluse -
You're right. I have the utmost respect for our combat troops and would never even think
about being such a fool as to dress up like something I am not. I have family that are now
serving and have served in the current wars and would never pretend to be one.

Actually, my latest AR is going towards the ultra light direction. Had to go to the mid length
handguard to move the frt sight fwd enough to still see it clearly. Old age isn't for sissies.
I'm trying to decide what sight, I may save up for the ACOG that the USMC is using, because
my nephew used one in Afghanistan. It is a pretty good sight, and has range bars.

Kids will do silly stuff, nothing new. The adults that lie and pretend to have been combat
vets or SEALS or Rangers or SF, or such really make me mad. They aren't kids and it isn't
right.

Bill

Blacksmith
09-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Just ordered a real Tactical Rifle from the CMP and it isn't black. [smilie=w:

"The greatest battle implement ever devised."
-- General George S. Patton, Jr.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Now I have to wait.:coffee:

Blacksmith

Adam10mm
09-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Had to go to the mid length
handguard to move the frt sight fwd enough to still see it clearly.
The midlength gas system lowers the port pressure to match the rifle system providing for a smoother operation, cooler action temperature, and less wear on the parts. The carbine length gas system is for the birds. The midlength is ideal for a carbine.

I'm also with you on the longer sight radius. I'm fairly young at 30yo, but I like a longer sight radius for accurate iron sight shooting. If you can afford one, get an ACOG. They are wonderful optics. I'm poor so I have to use iron sights.

P.K.
09-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Recluse -
You're right. I have the utmost respect for our combat troops and would never even think
about being such a fool as to dress up like something I am not. I have family that are now
serving and have served in the current wars and would never pretend to be one.

Actually, my latest AR is going towards the ultra light direction. Had to go to the mid length
handguard to move the frt sight fwd enough to still see it clearly. Old age isn't for sissies.
I'm trying to decide what sight, I may save up for the ACOG that the USMC is using, because
my nephew used one in Afghanistan. It is a pretty good sight, and has range bars.

Kids will do silly stuff, nothing new. The adults that lie and pretend to have been combat
vets or SEALS or Rangers or SF, or such really make me mad. They aren't kids and it isn't
right.

Bill

Another option that could be explored is a decent aimpoint or reflex with a 3X magnifyer. A nice set up that allows for the mag to be flipped to the side and just use the aimpt/reflex for close in stuff. I'd like to have an ACOG but the coin is going to other things at the moment. :wink:

Chicken Thief
09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Heres my rifle so "Tactical" that it defies common sensehttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/Kneel.gif

A 1878 Swiss Vetterli in a for the time exceptional "tactical" chambering 10.4x38R with an awesome magasine capacity of 12 + 1http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/knel.gif

Super duper bad a$$ bayonet (cooks knife)
Tactical light (runs hours on end on a gulb of kerosene)
Oh be afraid, be very afraid of the "flame thrower" (old blow torch)

Look at it in awehttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/scared.gif

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Vetterli/R0010592.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Vetterli/R0010595.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Vetterli/R0010594.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Vetterli/R0010593.jpg

Sorry no "mounting" rails, i have'nt got an old trainset!

Trey45
09-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I bet it weighs less than half the tacticool AR's I've seen.

The suburban operator has the uncanny ability to turn a perfectly good 7 pound AR into a 14 pound monstrosity.

cbrick
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Recieved a weekly flyer from Widners today, clicked on the link and whadda ya know, Redding now has . . .

Tactical loading dies.

Who'da thunk it?

Rick

Chicken Thief
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
@ Trey45

Here's one for you:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/spamani.gif

KCSO
09-30-2011, 02:47 PM
I got up tacticaly early and turned off oof my tactical alarm clock. I grabed my tactical shorts and brushed my teeth with my tactical toothbrush...

Sick of it it's nonsense.

Hardcast416taylor
09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Chicken thief. Like the pictures of your "personal defense weapon".

To all the entries here, "Thanks guys for helping me think that I`m not the only homely girl at this here dance about understanding "tactical".Robert

firefly1957
10-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Wow this thread grew fast!
I think tactical is used because the media has not found a way to vilify it YET!

crabo
10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2WKSg8KQg

Save a lot of money by doing it yourself! Go tactical!

Love Life
10-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Chicken Thief- I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. I printed the pictures out to show my buddy who is the walking definition of "tacticool"

btroj
10-01-2011, 01:49 PM
In the end it is because there are large numbers of people out there who make "tactical" decisions with their wallet.

Personally I think it is "tactifoolish" to buy into the hype.

Dale in Louisiana
10-01-2011, 02:48 PM
My current adopted persona is a grumpy 50ish white male the dresses like a farmer and tend to stick his guns in pockets rather than $300.00 tactical elite holsters and is so cheap as to think one shot will suffice rather than filling the air with bras and bullets.

Yeah, been there, as in, "Why don't you dress up?" and I say "I AM dressed up. This (sweatshirt, jeans, walking shoes) is the uniform of the Southwest Louisiana Irregular Militia."

dale in Louisiana

WILCO
10-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm nearly 60, overweight, have arthritis and degenerative disc disease. I have no illusions about my fate if a SHTF scenario arises. I'll be picked off fairly quick.

I don't care about it really, I always vote with my wallet for the products I like. That's how the free market works. Obviously there's a need for such items and folks buy them. It's that simple. As for one's fate in a SHTF scenario, I'm overweight too, but I'm using it to my advantage. I'll be the last guy standing in a death camp or I'll be good for at least a dozen direct hits before I go down. Either way, I'm not worried. [smilie=s:

Bret4207
10-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Actually, it's not the buying of all the tacticool ninja gear that makes me shakes my head. It's the belief on the part of the purchasers that because it's black or attaches to an AR or Zig Zower that they NEED it and that it will somehow make up for any lack of marksmanship on their part. We see a similar issue in casting to a far. far lesser degree. People have to have the HARDEST alloy, the mould with the most cavities, the fastest sizer, the latest powder and 14 Dillion 1050's.

It ain't the arrow, it's the indian.

btroj
10-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Actually, it's not the buying of all the tacticool ninja gear that makes me shakes my head. It's the belief on the part of the purchasers that because it's black or attaches to an AR or Zig Zower that they NEED it and that it will somehow make up for any lack of marksmanship on their part. We see a similar issue in casting to a far. far lesser degree. People have to have the HARDEST alloy, the mould with the most cavities, the fastest sizer, the latest powder and 14 Dillion 1050's.

I couldn't agree more. You dis forget the need to have a tester so you know the BHN to at least 4 places after the decimal.
This is not a problem with just your average Joe either. I was once at the range and the Omaha SWAT team's "snipers" were shooting. Wow, they were what most would expect. The one guy knew which end the ammo went in but that was about it. They certainly couldn't outshoot the vast majority of the guys there practicing NRA high-power.

Like Bret said- it ain't the gun or hear, it is the shooter. A bad shot with a great gun won't beat the great shot with a crappy gun. And wearing black doesn't make you better either.

GabbyM
10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Saw where Mossberg is offering AR type rilfes. Calling them "Modern" . They even have the obligatory acronym to go with it, MMR. Leaves me shaking my head but is a more plesant handle than tactical.

Guess that makes our bolt guns obsolete rifles.

P.K.
10-02-2011, 10:09 PM
In the end it is because there are large numbers of people out there who make "tactical" decisions with their wallet.

Personally I think it is "tactifoolish" to buy into the hype.

That there is the bottom line, $$$ is made from what other's "think" they need.

I don't care about it really, I always vote with my wallet for the products I like. That's how the free market works. Obviously there's a need for such items and folks buy them. It's that simple. As for one's fate in a SHTF scenario, I'm overweight too, but I'm using it to my advantage. I'll be the last guy standing in a death camp or I'll be good for at least a dozen direct hits before I go down. Either way, I'm not worried. [smilie=s:

Please do so! Not only are you voting with your $$$ you are doing the right thing by supporting the true measure of a republic, it's economy. Not to forget the small business owner!

Silly me, running around looking for the "softest" and coming up short. I have about 40# of Lino if anyone wants it.....

I couldn't agree more. You dis forget the need to have a tester so you know the BHN to at least 4 places after the decimal.
This is not a problem with just your average Joe either. I was once at the range and the Omaha SWAT team's "snipers" were shooting. Wow, they were what most would expect. The one guy knew which end the ammo went in but that was about it. They certainly couldn't outshoot the vast majority of the guys there practicing NRA high-power.

Like Bret said- it ain't the gun or hear, it is the shooter. A bad shot with a great gun won't beat the great shot with a crappy gun. And wearing black doesn't make you better either.

Now adays it may be something about the color of your "gear." I'm sorry it was a few years ago....but it used to be the "Body of your work." Don't judge all shooters by their gear. I have shot with many individuals, but one Mid-Central KY SOP team is good folks. That's the LEXPD. Professional and knowledgeable. Also they can shoot, period.

Saw where Mossberg is offering AR type rilfes. Calling them "Modern" . They even have the obligatory acronym to go with it, MMR. Leaves me shaking my head but is a more plesant handle than tactical.

Guess that makes our bolt guns obsolete rifles.

"Bolt" Guns will NEVER be obsolete. Trust to that, they may never be battle or sniper rifles but as hunting arms they will always have a place. Folks, at least those of the "uninformed" always look to the "latest and greatest" to drop their $$$ on. Those of us who Handload or Reload will have atleast one or more in our cabinets. My hope for both is more than one.....;-)

cbrick
10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
That there is the bottom line, $$$ is made from what other's "think" they need.

Very true.

Many a mold maker has made many $$$$ off me, all it takes is seeing one that I just can't live without and out comes the wallet.

Rick

btroj
10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't deny a guy the right buy "tactical" gear, just don't expect to make money off of me.
I do tend to judge people upon appearances. Call it prejudice if you like. If I see a guy shooting at 25 yards at the indoor range using an AR with 30 rounds mags full to the top, a red dot or scope, a flashlight mount and the dude decked out in black Including tactical vest and gloves what am I supposed to think? Then when I see him shoot 3 inch groups at 25 yards while high giving his buddies I have my opinion validated. Mall ninja all the way.

It is about ability, not appearance. The only visual I need to know you can shoot is the target. It is not a fashion show.

geargnasher
10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I am with the majority here. The AR is an amazing platform as is or with just a low magnification optic or non magnification optic. It's when people start to put super flashlights, telescopes, pistol grips that hold batteries, buttstock mag holders, garage door openers, etc onto them that they get to be ridiculous. I have seen people turn an 8 pound battle ready rifle into a grossly overweight and unbalanced monster. It is quite funny actually.

As for myself I don't own an AR. I will use this analogy for why. It's like working for Dominoes and not wanting pizza for supper.

Probably the best perspective on the entire thread, written by a man who would know.

Gear

btroj
10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I do own 2 ARs. Both are set up solely for competition shooting. I spent a few years shooting NRA service rifle. That is all they ever were intended to be for me- target rifles. They served me very well in this role. I bought them because they are easier to shoot and maintain than an M1A for service rifle shooting.
I was personally happy to not have a flash hider- just one more thing to cause potential troubles.

Blacksmith
10-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Bret said

+1 So many people try to substitute money for skill and practice. The ones who try to buy good scores are the ones who will never shoot to the maximum of their potential. You only get there through practice.

As long as the equipment you have is capible of shooting better than you its you that needs improvement. If it groups better on sand bags than in your hands keep practicing.

Blacksmith

Adam10mm
10-03-2011, 01:18 AM

Mossberg is part of the Freedom Group along with Remington, DPMS and a host of others. They and the NSSF are trying to dismantle the thought that ARs have not place in civilian hands. The NSSF calls them Modern Sporting Rifles and equates them to a hand drill versus electric drill; same result different technology. Mossberg, under direction of the Freedom Group is doing what they are told. Remington is putting only camo on their ARs to promote them as a hunting rifle. Others have done so before, but Remington is more of a household name than most.

What the industry is doing is to remove the negative stereotype of the AR rifle. People call AR style (Armalite Rifle) assault rifles. Same argument could be said for all bolt action rifles to be called sniper rifles. We in the know, should know better. But that's the public perception they are trying to fight.

"Tactical" is a marketing buzzword for defensive use. For some reason marketing execs like to use trickery. There is nothing defensive about shooting someone else, because the act is actually offensive, but many call it self defense. Many hunting shows say they are harvesting animals. Really? I harvest crops. I kill animals.

Ickisrulz
10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Mossberg is part of the Freedom Group along with Remington, DPMS and a host of others. They and the NSSF are trying to dismantle the thought that ARs have not place in civilian hands.

This program is a great idea for the gun culture since AR type rifles may be the very future of shooting sports.

I see lots of young guys shooting their ARs at the range. For many of them this is the first and only firearm they have. For many of them they wouldn't be shooting if they didn't think the AR was "cool." They might become better marksmen with practice. They might purchase other firearms as their interests expand. They might encourage their friends to join them at the range creating even more shooters.

This will strengthen the shooting community and help preserve our 2A rights. This will pump money into the economy and firearms manufacturing and sales businesses. This will leave copious amounts of brass on the ground for us reloaders.

I say keep making and marketing those "tactical" firearms and gadgets. As long as the shooters are safe, we only have much to gain. We shouldn’t look down on the tactical wannabes.

pdawg_shooter
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Buddy of mine had to have a tricked out AR to shoot prairie dogs with. Why? I have been shooting them with a bolt gun since the sixties and haven't had to defend myself against a charging one yet.

Adam10mm
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Buddy of mine had to have a tricked out AR to shoot prairie dogs with. Why? I have been shooting them with a bolt gun since the sixties and haven't had to defend myself against a charging one yet.
A semi automatic rifle is not only for protection. There are other uses. [smilie=b:

pdawg_shooter
10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
A semi automatic rifle is not only for protection. There are other uses. [smilie=b:

And shooting prairie dogs is one of them? Sorry just don't see the need.

crabo
10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I personally have no problem with how other people spend their money. One of my very good friends, has hundreds of guns. He does not shoot very often. I have probably shot more in one month than he has shot in his life. He is a collector and I am a shooter. He is going through a phase where he is buying ARs and dressing them up. He is doing things that I personally would never do to my guns.

I have put different forends, grips, scopes on my ARs so I can hunt and shoot better with them. I have benefited from others buying lots of tacticool stuff that they wanted. I remembered when I first went to a flat toped reciever. I had the carry handle milled off and a base put on it. No one made a flat top then. Now it is so simple to get a flat topped reciever. The cost is cheaper and our industry reaps the benifits and parts are cheaper for us.

I think there is a lot of silly marketing and buying going on, but I think the money spent, invested, and made from such is good for our sport and economy.

Bret4207
10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I'd love to have an AR or 3. I've looked at various models over the years and, sadly, they are just too expensive. I'd enjoy having one, but it would be a working rifle, not a status symbol.

Ickisrulz
10-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd love to have an AR or 3. I've looked at various models over the years and, sadly, they are just too expensive. I'd enjoy having one, but it would be a working rifle, not a status symbol.

You kind of touched on the best thing about the AR. You can buy it part by part and put it together once you have everything.

Gee_Wizz01
10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
CT
I thought that the "Flame Thrower" was either a high intensity spot light or a laser sight. It would also work for a quick cup of coffee or heating MRE's.

G

Gee_Wizz01
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM

I bought one and it is great working rifle! It makes quick work of coyotes and other assorted varmints around the ranch. The only problem is the blame thing wants to throw all your brass away. They are also extremely hungry.

G

garbear
10-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Got to sell to the mall ninja's some way.
Garbear

Dale in Louisiana
10-03-2011, 10:19 PM
On the subject of AR's, as much as it rankles me and a lot of other lovers of fine wood and steel, the AR platform has taken over many shooting sports, including high power rifle competition. As one who had a 'glass bedded, accurized Garand, I can tell you that a match-competitive AR is a lot easier to build maintain and (Saint John forgive me) shoot. Truth is, a .223 just doesn't mess up your position like a .308 or .30-06 does, and building AR's is a matter of correctly assembling off the shelf pieces.

When you think about a semi-auto rifle that can do less than one MOA, consistently, well, death and destruction of small animals is certainly a game it plays well.

Still rankles me, though, the whole 'tacktickle' thing. And unfortunately, seeing the decked out M4gery with the 'black ops' mall-ninja at the range shooting a PATTERN at fifty yards while I'm eating up the black out of a regulation bull at a hundred with iron sights on a sixty year old rifle, well, there is indeed a little justice in the universe...

dale in Louisiana

Blacksmith
10-03-2011, 10:36 PM
'tacktickle' helps the rest of us identify the Mall Ninjas. One glance is all you need.

Adam10mm
10-04-2011, 12:52 AM
It's not a question of need, it's a question of want.

I have no problem if someone wants to use an AR15 to shoot prairie dogs or a bolt action or a Holland & Holland double rifle in .416 Rigby.

Myself, I'm a lazy bastard and don't like working a bolt to reload after so many rounds, so I might select a nice 20 inch AR15 that I assembled myself part by part with 4.5-14x optic. Maybe I'm in a mood play around with a wildcat, so I'll dust off my .224 TTH (6mm Rem necked to .224) and run some long 77gr Sierra MatchKing bullets down a 26 inch barrel with fast 1/7 twist.

If it's legal and someone is enjoying the way of life we live, why does anyone really care what they are using?

Ickisrulz
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM

If needs dictated all firearms puchased, what more does anyone need beyond a .22 rifles, shotgun, centerfire rifle and one handgun?

theperfessor
10-04-2011, 11:11 AM
No problem with the AR platform, after all the '03 was the tactical rifle of the day. I think a lot of the stuff that is sold to hang on one, or to dress up the "operator" of one, is stupid.

Ickisrulz
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
or to dress up the "operator" of one, is stupid.

The same could be said for Cowboy Action shooters:-)

Sonnypie
10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I was at a bowling pin shoot a couple of years ago and a "Mall Ninja" with his wannabe SWAT uniform on was having a go at it. Not a bad shot really, but he had so much water behind his ears it was pathetic. His pompous attitude about "using the right tool for the job" (AR of some flavor in .223) didn't help. Finally someone had enough of it and took him to school with his .357 Magnum Rossi levergun, eight pins, eight shots in seven seconds at 100 yards with buckhorn sights, standing. Ya could have heard a pin drop. Tacticool boy just kinda faded away after that.

I always wanted to see a really sharp SASS shooter take on a three-gun course, with his SASS weapons. Some of those guys can really make "modern" weapons look a lot less advantageous.

Gear

Like Bob Munden, Gear?
You Tube (http://youtu.be/iS9uGktUCrY)

Amazing!

Hardcast416taylor
10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
While we are talking stupid add on "tactical" gear. Can anybody explain the need or actual purpose of the "bayonet knife" that snaps onto the flashlight underrail of pistols?Robert

perotter
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
While we are talking stupid add on "tactical" gear. Can anybody explain the need or actual purpose of the "bayonet knife" that snaps onto the flashlight underrail of pistols?Robert

Actual purpose is comic relief.

perotter
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
If needs dictated all firearms puchased, what more does anyone need beyond a .22 rifles, shotgun, centerfire rifle and one handgun?

And both of the rifles & the shotgun being single shots.

Chicken Thief
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
CT
I thought that the "Flame Thrower" was either a high intensity spot light or a laser sight. It would also work for a quick cup of coffee or heating MRE's.

G

The spotlight is underneath the rifle barrel (and the light it emits is indeed a tiny spot!)

Here is at it's biggest roar
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Komfurer%20og%20lamper/R0010611.jpg

Whiterabbit
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
"Tactical" is the new word for "black".

So, I was thinking about buying a firearm that could use tactical powder. What do you think?

:)

Whiterabbit
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
This program is a great idea for the gun culture since AR type rifles may be the very future of shooting sports.

I see lots of young guys shooting their ARs at the range. For many of them this is the first and only firearm they have. For many of them they wouldn't be shooting if they didn't think the AR was "cool." They might become better marksmen with practice. They might purchase other firearms as their interests expand. They might encourage their friends to join them at the range creating even more shooters.

This will strengthen the shooting community and help preserve our 2A rights. This will pump money into the economy and firearms manufacturing and sales businesses. This will leave copious amounts of brass on the ground for us reloaders.

I say keep making and marketing those "tactical" firearms and gadgets. As long as the shooters are safe, we only have much to gain. We shouldn’t look down on the tactical wannabes.

Thanks for writing this also, I agree with you 100% and support the black rifle people. Most importantly, they take the brunt of the gun control laws for us and allow us to enjoy a good proper firearm more freely.

Thanks for taking one for the team, black rifle guys! I'm right there behind you, in walnut, blue, and stainless!

Ickisrulz
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
So, I was thinking about buying a firearm that could use tactical powder. What do you think?

:)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=350270

Ickisrulz
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM

I would imagine the bayonet is an awful lot like a CCW. Most of the time you don't need it. But when you need a bayonet...you really need a bayonet.

Arisaka99
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Being a teenager in this era, I have found that there are a lot of Special Forces wannabees. There are also kids that play too many video games and dont understand the practicality of guns and life and death. If I were to have an AR it would be like everyone else, a shooter/ hunter. There are some kids in my school that shoot but they talk a big talk, but they shoot a lot more than I do, so I really cant say I shoot better than them. With practice, I'm willing to bet that I could shoot better than all of them. With my bolt guns and single shot.

cbrick
10-04-2011, 04:09 PM
My name's Chris and I'm a gunaholic, I've got an addiction but I dont know what to call it.

A good thing . . . [smilie=1:

Rick

Ickisrulz
10-04-2011, 08:07 PM
“All the people constitute the militia — according to the Founding Fathers. Therefore every able-bodied man has a duty under the Constitution to become part of the “well-regulated” militia, specifically to understand and perform well with the individual weapon currently issued to the regular establishment. . . . Thus one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen.”
--Jeff Cooper

Blacksmith
10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Chris

Start practiceing then you will be a better shot than they are. Even if it is only practice at home with a BB gun or pellet rifle/pistol. Practice often even dry fire and mental conditioning help. Find a good coach to work with so you don't learn bad habits.

Blacksmith

GabbyM
10-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I love my bolt guns with wood stocks and will never buy another black rifle. But that’s only because I’ve two and two is enough.

What beginners need is a 22 rim fire with fifteen thousand rounds of ammo but our filthy rich society allows them to buy a AR with a thousand rounds of ammo. When the tactifool boys show up at our range I treat them like any twelve year old with his first BB gun. If you are nice to them for a while they may even listen you your old man advise a long as you keep it subtle. Aint nothing wrong about being young and wild eyed. Last bunch of young boys I encountered like that were some DOC employees. They handed me a large bag full of fired brass in 223 and 9mm. All same head stamp once fired.

I’ve a 5 gallon bucket full of mixed head stamp 5.56mm but it never will shoot well.

Come to think of that I may buy both my daughters a Marlin model 60 in 22 rim fire for there birthdays.

Blacksmith
10-04-2011, 10:18 PM
GabbyM

The CMP sells .22 ammo by the case.
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/relatedsales.htm

Maybe your daughters would be interested in Rimfire Sporter competition. They even have a “Tactical Rimfire” class.
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm

Blacksmith

GabbyM
10-09-2011, 12:05 AM
GabbyM

The CMP sells .22 ammo by the case.
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/relatedsales.htm

Maybe your daughters would be interested in Rimfire Sporter competition. They even have a “Tactical Rimfire” class.
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm

Blacksmith

My daughters are 24 and 26 years old and live out in Arizona.
Youngest went turkey and bear hunting last week but struck out. :(

Blacksmith
10-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Gabby M
Then we need to see them at the Nationals at Camp Perry.

Blacksmith

wallenba
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I found this image on the web. I think it's one of them there tactickle thingys...or the space ship Nostromo from that movie, Alien.

JohnH
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
It's a means of selling people who don't know what they need, something they don't need.

RMulhern
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
You guys like doing things the HARD WAY!!

Friends call me Pac
03-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I actually like my AR. It's a plain jane M4 with carry handle and peep sight & post. I even have to use the tip of a bullet to adjust my sights. Is it a spray & pray gun? Not for me. As an example my gun club had a combat style rifle competition with targets ranging 15 - 400 yards. I had my plain jane ready to go. The rest of the crowd gave me some of the most pitiful looks for my having to use such an antiquated rifle. Everyone else had all kinds of wizz bang gadgets on their rifles.

I actually finished in 6th place. Not first but not bad for these old eyes trying to hit a target at 400 yards with post & peep. I know it inside & out, feel comfortable with it & know what it is capable of in my hands. Then again I did carry one for real life applications for 20 years. I guess I bought it out of nastalgia after listening to my Father lament how he wish he had bought an M1 like he had carried. I didn't want to be the same way so I bought the M4 in the same configuration like the one I carried. I consider it a plus that I don't have to worry about the batteries dieing on my rifle. In short I like my M4 evil black rifle (EBR).

dakotashooter2
03-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I found this image on the web. I think it's one of them there tactickle thingys...or the space ship Nostromo from that movie, Alien.

This guy will be an easy target weighted down with his 30lbs of gun.............

Gliden07
03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe it`s just me, probably is! It seems that I can`t look at a gun magazine anymore that doesn`t have at least 1 article on some sort of "Tactical" weapon in it. It`s not limited to just gun mags. look at the current Brownells catalog. The first 87 pages of the catalog is devoted to the M-16 family. Further into the catalog they delve into making a shotgun a "Tactical" weapon also. I`m not limiting my gripe to the "Black rifle" alone if it isn`t this it`s "Tactical" shotguns or how to make a "Tactical" 10-22 or do you have enough "Tactical" handguns in your "Tactical" arsenal and lets not overlook the "Tactical" ammunition we should be buying? What has happened to us that this is the way we think we must arm ourselves. It seems that this is the way gun makers are heading also by offering "Tactical" versions of standby semi autos to fuel this psuedo fire. I`m just a mite old to be dressing up in camo and facepaint and screaming "OOORAH" as I chop down paper targets on a shooting range with my "Tactical" rifle or shotgun. I understand that everybody has a right to do what turns their crank. Myself, I`ll stick with my "UN-TACTICAL" bolt guns along with my pump Model 12`s and my antique Blackhawks in .45 LC.Robert

I agree, I started to look for a semi-auto shotgun was interested in the Mossburg 930 all I can find on the web are reviews on the SPX (Tactical) version I'm looking for a 28" either in the wood or Black furniture with a 5 round tube not 6 round extended tube or over sized charge handle. I'm looking for a hunting, skeet or all round gun!!

This latest trend in calling Firearms "Tactical" stinks. In my opinion this is another catch phrase for the Anti-Gunners to seize!! Many of us as Firearms enthusiasts have even accepted the term "Assault Weapon" which was a made up term by Anti's. It goes to show you if they keep hammering on these type of terms it will become a reality and a catch phrase of the Anti's!! If I was selling firearms or related components "Tactical" is the last term I would want my companies items associated with!!

TXGunNut
03-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Like Pac I occasionally took my ugly gun to a match, in my case it was patrol rifle side matches put on by my PD. My Armalite patrol rifle was well-maintained but completely stock and I generally shot against guys who had at least a half-dozen mods and a few accessories hanging off them. The reason my rifle was completely stock was because it rode around in a patrol car or my car or truck in a soft case and it got banged around a bit from time to time. I decided early on that mods and accessories increased the likelihood of failure or damage so I followed the KISS principle.
Match results? I won the few I entered against better shooters because my rifle worked every time and I took the time to hit what I was aiming at. Sold that ugly green thing after I turned in my badge & gear but I missed it so much I bought a S&W a few years back. May have to take off that handle and install a dot scope as a concession to my middle-aged eyes, mebbe a little tacticool is good after all.

BD
03-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I entered the first "Tactical" rifle match I ever encountered using my truck gun, (a 1914 M96 Swede cut down to 22" in a cheapo Ramline stock wearing a scout scope in a homemade mount). I didn't win that match, but I didn't lose it either. Someplace like 8th out of 25. I entered my first 3 gun match using that same scout rifle, a M12 Winchester in 16 gauge with a 28" barrel and a 1911. I was second out of 20 that time. Somewhere around the third time I showed up, a fellow shooter insisted I try his AR15 and the light came on. Never looked back. Today, many years later, the most accurate rifle I own is an AR built with my old high power barrel and lower using a new flat top receiver shooting loads tuned to the BDC scope. It's a little on the long and heavy side to be truly "Tactical" by today's standards. But, I haven't found anything more "Practical" for the purpose of quickly putting lead on to multiple small targets inside of 600 yards.
BD

lreed
03-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Well,fellers several of my rifles and shotguns are "tactical"seeing as how they are singleshots and if you happen to miss your shot you really need to be tactical to get another!
The wishers and wanabees keep gunstores in business and provide entertainment for people watchers. Some of the stuff the tactical people buy is well worth having and I for one watch them close cause when they tire of their fun they sometimes sell,cheap! lreed

bbs70
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I have an ar in 6.8.
I refuse to put anything on it or around it that says tatical.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Post # 127 by Wallenba is the proverbial picture that is worth 1000 words (or maybe 100,000 for that matter-or more) Missing are two or more 100# black (of course) sandbags to stack on top of the whole concoction and some camouflaged (black) creature in a tactical air-conditioned space suit with plug-in ports for the nearest mall video game console. Pity any self respecting traveling extra-terrestial that shows up on this planet and runs into one of those clowns. LLS

dakotashooter2
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
One thing they have not thought of is that the tacticool guys are going to be primary targets where as the guy with the 30-30 is going to be further down the line....................

Hardcast416taylor
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I believe that the useage of the term "Tactical" is akin to a crooked politician running for office. The more his name is used in print or verbally used as on the TV or radio the more his name is emblazoned upon the public mind. Therefore upon election day in the polling booth that name is an instant recognition and is where the check mark is placed. This is just my humble take on all the verbage of "assault weapons" and "tactical weapons and accessories", say it often enough and people will accept the useage of it - even if they have nor real concept of what the terms mean.Robert