PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL AP

bogorman
09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm seriously considering upgrading from my lee pro 1000 to a hornady lnl ap. Just looking for any comments and thoughts on the hornady press. Pros, cons, quirks, other thoughts? I also thought about a dillon, but would like to have auto indexing and the price difference between the hornady and dillon 650 is substantial. Have at it, and don't hold anything back. Thanks.

bigjason6
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
No complaints from me! I started out with the lnl ap for reloading pistol cases. If the timing for the shell plate goes out of whack, it's not too hard to get it back in line.

Also, the customer service is top notch as well. The part that the shell plate bolts down to must have been a bad casting. Called them up and they fired the part out the door the same day. When I received the part the tech support guy walked me through the procedure on replacing it on the press. Great people at Hornady and a great recorded message when you call them too!

Waldog
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I have two LNL presses. Love em' both. Prefer LNL over Dillon and I have loaded on SDB, 550, 650, and 1050. I still own the SDB but, use it rarely.

Lloyd Smale
09-28-2011, 06:37 AM
ill put it this way. It will be a giant upgrade from your lee press but if money wasnt a guestion id take a 650 hands down over a lnl and i own 3 of them.

seagiant
09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi,
Ok,I'll help out a little here. I've had the Hornady AP not the LNL but the older one. I ended up selling it and was happy when it sold for what I had in it. This was years ago and if I remember right it always had primer problems. I think this was improved on with the newer LNL! Hope so any way. While this was going on I obtained 3 STAR progressives a Dillon Square deal and a Dillon 550B. Was more impressed with the Square Deal than the 550! Ended up selling them all and now use 2 PW Met 2 loaders and I'm very happy.

Can't stay out of the game though and am now looking at the RCBS Pro 2000. All cast iron big press,the LNL is a aluminum body with iron swingarms. The RCBS also uses the APS strip system which is suppose to be better,but there is also a primer tube system available for it now. Just something to keep in mind!

Colorado4wheel
09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I have owned a LCT, Load Master, 550, LnL and 650.

I would never ever recommend the LnL to anyone who wants a casefeeder and loads a lot of 9mm. 550 is a great press if you don't want a casefeeder. LnL is Ok with out a casefeeder but I prefer the 550. LnL casefeeder was a HUGE PITA. MONTHS of fiddling didn't make it as good as the 650 with a casefeeder was in 2 hours. I found no advantage to the Hornady Powder Measure in Pistol. In fact the Hornady was not as good as every once in a while it would throw light. I think the shaking of the Dillon's return rod actually makes it more consistent. I am very glad to not have the LnL. For me, I don't want to file, polish stuff. I just want it to work. 650 cost more because it has caliber specific casefeeder parts for each caliber. LnL has universal parts. 650 is just better IMHO. I wanted to like the LnL but I had to fix nearly every piece of it in some way to make it work 99%. JUST a PITA. 99% IS NOT GOOD. That is one screw up every 100 pulls of the handle. Totally not acceptable.

Floydster
09-29-2011, 12:28 PM
I'll go along with Colorado on the LNL, it is totally impossible to prime on this press without some kind of stoppage.
Believe me, I have exhausted all the avenues to no avail.
Floydster

omgb
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I have two L-N-L s, one with a case feeder. I also have had the lee 1000 and a Dillon 650. I stuck with my LNL because it has more positive going for it than any of the others. My only dislike for the LNL is that it's primer system is a tad problematic. Mostly it's OK but when it gets finicky it gets pretty fickle. Cleanliness is next to godliness they say and I think Hornady LNLs are built to that ideal. Keep it clean and the primers feed great. Get it dirty or oily or...and you start having problems.

Lee 1000s are pretty shaky. Lots of fiddeling and constant adjusting. I hated mine. Dillon's weakest point is in the powder measure. They are so tiresome to adjust that lots of guys by multiple measures and change them out rather than readjust them. The dies are also an issue. Loading lead rifle rounds on one where you need 6 stations can be a real pain. Dillon is also more costly up front. Both Dillon and Hornady have stood by their products for me. So, that's my experience. BTW, the case feeder works great for me in 32-20, 375, 45 APC and 3006. I have no experience with 9mm.

Colorado4wheel
09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Micrometer for the Dillon. Works great. Yes, the Dillon cost more. LnL also has a noisy casefeeder motor. Well I guess you could say the Dillon has a really quiet one and the LnL is a lot louder. You can barely hear the Dillon running. To me the Dillon is worth the money. The slower you load the less the LnL will bug you. I think that is why people have such a Love/Hate feeling about it. I simply could not get it to be reliable (ignoring the priming issue) going faster then about 7 mins per hundred with Pistol. It just would choke all the time. My 650 can load 5 min per hundred and not break or have issues.

cgblues
09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Never owned a Dillon but I know many of my fellow shooters are happy with Dillon. I do own the LNL with case feeder, loaded many many thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 for IPSC and thousands of 38 sp. for cowboy. Absolutely No primer problems and no case feeder problems, A few self inflicted idiot problems show up from time to time. Todays LNL is much better than the old ones, especial how it kicks out the shells. I have nothing but praise for my LNL.

Waldog
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I also have 2 LNL's and one case feeder. I have loaded over 12000 9mm rounds with my LNL and case feeder. Primeing has never been a problem EXCEPT when I encounter S&B or Amerc cases. The case feeder is noisy and works well IF IT IS ADJUSTED PROPERLY. I have never experienced the problems that some other posters has listed. Maybe I'm just lucky and maybe they got a bad product. I just set up a NEW LNL with my son; no case feeder. His priming system worked flawlessly out of the box. This press is the 5th LNL press I have loaded on and I have never had trouble with any of them, provided they are adjusted properly.

JeffHolt
09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I bought the Hornady LnL two years ago and have loaded over 70,000 round s of various handgun calibers on it. It can produce some very fine ammo, but I am constantly tinkering with it.
There are too many parts of the press that loosen- and I mean the screws and bolts loosen on it- including the two small screws that hold the subplate on the Ram. I've had to polish the shellpates so rounds don't jamb when they are supposed to eject. Often the cases bouce off the shuttle and on the floor. It appears to have some keen engineering in certain aspects, but then they produced some of its parts with cheap pot metal. It has become a PITA to use, so I am Buying a Dillon 1050 Super.

It may be more money, but I'd bet it won't loosen like a LNL. I thought I was saving a little dough for a press with a 500-600 round load rate but I usually muster up about half that - partly because I have to stop and tighen stuff and partly because I weigh every 20th charge.

I wish that after having owned the LnL, I'd bought the Dillon 650.
Just my 2 cents.
Jeff

Moonman
09-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, Loaded 70,000 rounds in two years and it's a PITA, amazing.

JeffHolt
09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
What's your point, Moonman?

RGMJ
09-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I've owned the LNL for about 3 years loading mostly pistol cases - 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, 357 mag, 44mag and 500 SW.

I've probably loaded over 15,000 rounds and had little if any problem. I like the flexibility of being able to move dies around in the LNL w/o readjusting them. Also the powder measure uses inserts which you can dedicate to your favorite powder and load.No need to adjust everytime.

I would recommend LNL over the Dillon 550 which I had before. 5 stations, auto index and better powder measure are the main reasons.

Just my opinion....

KYCaster
09-29-2011, 11:29 PM
I like the two LNL's I have, one with case feeder, and have very few problems with them. The powder measures are the most consistent and easiest to adjust of any I've ever used. I did have issues with the primer feed till learned to deburr and polish the shuttle, now its trouble free with a little PM every few thousand rounds. (would you run your gun three thousand rounds without cleaning?)

I also have a Dillon SDB, which I like. Not very convenient to change calibers or primer size, but it's easy to use and runs with very few problems.

I've loaded a few times on a friend's Dillon 550 and for me, the manual index is a deal breaker.

At one time I had four Lee Pro 1000's and two Load Masters....don't miss them a bit. To paraphrase Eddie Murphy in "Changing Places"...."Once you've tried ANYTHING ELSE you'll never go back!!"

Very little experience with Dillon 1050....wasn't impressed.

No experience with Dillon 650 so can't comment.

Jerry

byronw999
10-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I've been more or less happy with my LNL.. Does great on 9mm, 44-40 and 45 colt...Seems to give me a lot of trouble with 357 for some reason...Cases either dont feed right from the feeder or they tip just enough in the shellplate so it wont go into the resizing die. Primer feed has it's days when it wants to be finicky too.. If I wanted a press I had to monkey with I would have stayed with Lee

Having to pay for the new ez-eject and pay to get 10 shell plates reworked to work with it chapped my behind. Their original wire ejector was just piss poor engineering and we should not have had to pay for their mistakes..

Would I buy another one? 99% of my shooting buds run Big Blue and I never hear anything but praise, especially about the no quibble guarantee.. Prob will go with a 650 next time..YMMV

shovel80
10-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Ilike my LnL...have had it for over two years...had a little trouble in the beginning...but, I got things adjusted..and it works fine for me..Customer service is excellent!
I''d buy another if needed!!...It's a very simple machine and easy to keep running!!
Terry

Lloyd Smale
10-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Dont get my answer wrong. I like the LNLs there decent presses and if it werent for the case feeders i rate them right along side the 650. Bottom line is the case feeder on the 650 just works better. it was designed right from the git go to have a case feeder and the lnls is more of an add on and takes lots of fooling around to keep running reliably. If you want the flat out most reliable one grab yourself a 550. Theres just less to go wrong on them and they still can crank out lots of ammo but at a slightly slower rate.

milprileb
10-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Owning a Dillon 650 and having agonized on the decision of LNL vs Dillon 650 for a progressive self indexing press (I own a 550 so I exclude that from discussion, its manual index), I chose 650 since my research indicated shell plate issues and priming issues were less likely with Dillon.
I own a ton of Hornady products so its hard to be biased against them ! I just thought the Dillon was a bit better engineered but its not perfect either. It might run a bit faster and be a bit better finished.

Both presses will serve normal shooters well.

That all said: Speed always becomes the main topic and you can read how these machines do well or not so well with the speed and manner owners RED LINE them. It obvious some folks just crank that handle and chunk out tons of ammo and they chance all manner of malfunctions in priming and powder charging. I am not slamming anyone here so don't take offense and think I am saying you speed demons make bad ammo.

I am saying speed on these machines equates to problematic performance and you got to ratchet down to the speed to which your machine runs well and you can maintain same continuous momentum and use of it for consistent ammo.

If you are going faster than your M1 Eyeballs can register all things going on: you can have problematic ammo results.

I expect things to run 100% out of the box. Dillon always has. I don't expect Hornady to less either but any of these machines can have issues and if so, I would send the entire rig to manufacturer and demand they sort it all out. Don't tolerate half stepping machines you got to tinker to make work.

I shoot 1000 rds on a slow week now, I don't much mind slowing my speed to 500 rds per hour on the Dillon vs racing for max production and getting done 30 min sooner. Thundering Coyotes ! I can even live with slowing down to 400 rds per hour easily and get done in 2 hrs and 30 minutes. I like reloading and good ammo a tad more time is okay with me.

For me: I waste more time correcting SNAFU when I race my Dillon than when I take my time and just make great ammo.

Beware of speed. If you MUST have it, then go the 1050 commercial route and get all the feeding machines and shovel the ammo out the door.

G__Fred
10-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Received mine in a trade, BEST TRADE I EVER MADE!

Plus the life-time warranty, you cannot go wrong.

bogorman
10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the comments and thoughts, I think given funds availability I'm going to give LNL ap a try.

bigjason6
10-06-2011, 07:18 AM
You won't regret it!

Moonman
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
The RED machine is a very good machine. The internet has many things to make it even better as time and finances allow you. UltimateReloader.com has a roller handle and a bullet tray and mount along with a floor mounting post. You could purchase his products or use his designs and fabricate your own. (he has the drawings and dimensions posted). If you make things Rust-Oleum Paint REGAL RED is the close match.

The BLUE machine is also a great machine.

bbqncigars
10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
My 550 was a great press for every caliber I shoot except .30 Mauser (pistol) and 25-20WCF. The Dillon munched too many precious brass of the latter. The AP has yet to ruin one out of thousands loaded now. For those who worry about stuff working loose: Loctite 290. A medium grade green wicking threadlocker that is applied AFTER final assembly. It will keep fasteners from moving until you put a wrench on them.

Mike Kerr
10-11-2011, 07:12 PM
+1 for Milprileb's comments.

This has been a good thread because posters have expressed their own thoughts and experiences while recognizing there are sometimes alternate viewpoints, also with considerable support.

regards,

:smile::smile:

JeffHolt
10-11-2011, 07:37 PM
bbqncigars,
Thanks for the tip on the loctite 290. I'll give it try.

I've used the loctite (blue stuff) and tried very thin mono filament fishing line also, but the LNL subplate still keeps wiggling loose after a couple dozen rounds. I was thinking maybe some liquid metal or 2 part epoxy.

bogorman
10-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Well bit the boolit and have a LNL on the way from Cabelas, now just need to clean up my bench.

mooko
10-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Haven't seen anybody bring up the true meaning of pain - the RCBS Piggyback unit. A couple of years of loading .223 with it and continual cleaning of spilled powder drove me to narrow down my options to Dillon or Hornady.
I went with Hornady for several reasons. I like the interchangeable powder measure charge tubes. They pop in and out in a second. So, for $8 I can have a charge tube for each load. The CD that comes with it has detailed videos for setup and adjustment. And all the procedures are simple. The LNL system is great for die changes, and the priming system has worked flawlessly for me.
It works so well, that I am spending a lot more time casting to be able to keep up with my shooting.

Oreo
10-13-2011, 01:17 AM
I love my lnl-AP. In its current form its hands down one of the best presses ever made, imo. Better then the competing Dillon presses even.

- I think the lnl priming system is the best & safest design out there. Since the primers are slid from the tube by spring pressure you can't crush-ignite a primer by pulling the lever like you can on some presses. Also, since seating the primer has a dedicated forward push on the lever you can feel exactly how the primer is being seated. On other presses seating primers happens along with everything else when you pull down on the lever making it more difficult to sense primer seating issues by touch.
- I think the lnl bushing system far surpasses dillon's tool-head design in terms of convenience and versatility.
- hornady's powder meters perform brilliantly for me. I use the pistol rotor for pistol & the bench rest version for any rifle caliber up to .30-06 (the rifle rotor included with the press is good, but only optimal for larger rifle calibers. The pistol & br meters are more precise for the smaller stuff.)
-The case activated powder drop is a nice feature that I don't think Dillon offers. I could be wrong though.
-the case retaining spring is easier & more convenient then the pins used by Dillon.
-the 1/8 turn increment auto-indexing makes for smoother operation then the 1/4 turn Dillon system.
- price. Cause feature for feature per dollar the lnl pwns the entire Dillon line-up.
- hornady's warranty = dillon's warranty.

I don't have a case feeder or a bullet feeder so I can't comment on those. Hornady's ptx design sucks though. Luckily there's a really good aftermarket version: http://www.powderfunnels.com

Yep, I love me some lnl-AP.

milprileb
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
It all depends

I suspect if you bought a LNL and a Dillon 650 and both left mfg. plant made right, then out of the box you would be well served with either and differences of either system would be what suits your personal preferences. If there were places that let you test ride both machines before purchase, then one could make the right personal choice. I haven't found that place yet.

Then there is opinions and brand loyalty that further cloud the issue at times. Finding the best machine can be quite an event and like chasing FOG. Sometimes you might not find what is best. My Co Ax has yet to show me its better than my old Rock Chucker but .. that may be a BMW vs a Camero in the hands of a old infantryman who just needs wheels.

In the progressives that index, I think its pretty much Dillon 650 vs Hornady LNL with Hornady value priced and Dillon over priced. As to end state of which makes best ammo, the jury can't decide as the evidence is not there to prove one is superior to the other in my opinion. I equate this to buying a 1911 pistol. I own a ton of Colts but when a Taurus 1911 has gone 5600 rounds out of the box with perfect performance and same accuracy then one has to recognize other makers can compete with Colt in 1911 arena. $1300 Colt vs $450 Taurus...what is best? Best by what? Performance ... I can't tell a difference to justify the pain in $ difference.

Trickling down to bottom lines here: You won't go wrong with a LNL in my opinion and I don't own one. I may though.... as the price of all the conversion goodies on a Dillon 650 to load 9mm on the press is almost half of cost of a LNL press..... and the LNL comes with what I think is a better powder measure. The LNL then becomes worth consideration plus the bullet deal they offer and its far an above a better option than buying the single focus Dillon Square Deal press in 9mm that uses odd dies and is same cost as a LNL.

Sonnypie
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Well bit the boolit and have a LNL on the way from Cabelas, now just need to clean up my bench.

Oh! That is the very hardest part of this whole deal.
Just set up some pictures of your new press to make the drudgery more palatable. [smilie=w:

Lots of good stuff here. None of which I'll ever see. No need to. But lots of good stuff.

PS: You need kegs of powder, piles of primers, barrels of boolits, and cases of cases.

Stand by for FUN! [smilie=w:

Colorado4wheel
10-14-2011, 08:49 PM
-the 1/8 turn increment auto-indexing makes for smoother operation then the 1/4 turn Dillon system.

I found the LnL was always indexing. So I had to pull the handle slower or I would spill powder. On the 650 it only index's during a small portion of the handle travel. So you can actually get a feel for when you hit the index ramp and control the speed of indexing just during that part of the handles travel. It would seem the LnL setup would be better but in actual use I found I preferred the Dillon indexing process much more. But I load fast. 5-6 mins per 100 rds. At a slower pace it's a non-issue on either press.

williamwaco
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
I own an Hornady LnL AP. About 18 months now. Loaded around 20,000 9mm, .38, and .357s on it.

I have seriously mixed emotions about it. It Makes really good ammo, really quickly but I can't really say I like it.

The LnL Bushings are an abomination. They work loose regularly and in the beginning I found my self regularly picking the resizing die up off the floor.

Ejected primers regularly hang between the primer drop hole and the shell plate requiring the shell plate to be jiggled manually before it will index.

I have now learned that the resizing die and the powder measure MUST be reseated and tightened with a wrench every time I change the primer tube.

I have not used either the Dillon or the RCBS so I don't know which I would choose but If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would try the green or the blue. ( That said, I really do not like the idea of the primer strips used by RCBS.)

"The grass is always greener..."

Waldog
10-14-2011, 11:58 PM
I own an Hornady LnL AP. About 18 months now. Loaded around 20,000 9mm, .38, and .357s on it.

I have seriously mixed emotions about it. It Makes really good ammo, really quickly but I can't really say I like it.

The LnL Bushings are an abomination. They work loose regularly and in the beginning I found my self regularly picking the resizing die up off the floor.

Ejected primers regularly hang between the primer drop hole and the shell plate requiring the shell plate to be jiggled manually before it will index.

I have now learned that the resizing die and the powder measure MUST be reseated and tightened with a wrench every time I change the primer tube.

I have not used either the Dillon or the RCBS so I don't know which I would choose but If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would try the green or the blue. ( That said, I really do not like the idea of the primer strips used by RCBS.)

Interesting! I have had my LNL for about 4+ years. I have never had a bushing come loose. And, I only tighten my bushings finger tight. As for primers hanging up. I have experienced that one. I adjusted my decapping pin to run a little deeper. Say 1/32" of an inch and I have not had any further problems. UNLESS I GET A CRIMPED WCC CASE. Then the primer may hang up.

This may be a dumb question but, have you talked to Hornady Customer Service? They will make it right.

I have loaded on all BLUE press models and they have their issues as well. If you don't believe me check out http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
There are lots of people having issues with Blue presses.

Grass isn't always greener......

1in9twist
10-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I have 2 LNL's and am very happy with performance. The 650 is a very nice machine, but the LNL filled the need at a good price point. Plus some free bullets never hurts either.

Oreo
10-15-2011, 05:20 AM
There's a real simple solution to the LNL-bushings working loose. You need to replace the rubber O-ring on each one with a slightly thicker one. Harbor Freight sells an O-ring kit that has ones the perfect size. The bushings are real snug this way.

I can't imagine why Hornady hasn't figured this out & made the change themselves yet other then being stubborn. Mr. Hornady himself swore up & down on the phone to me that the old ejection wire system worked perfectly. That was just after they announced the new ez-ject system. I wanted to purchase an upgrade but he wouldn't sell me one. Took a bunch of us hounding the **** out of him before he decided to offer an ez-ject upgrade kit.

Moonman
10-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Some very talented people are hard to convince sometimes that they slightly missed the mark.

Oreo, Do you happen to have the number or exact size of the "O"Ring that will accomplish the fix?

Oreo,
Please post it for others to share info with all others if you have or can find it.

Colorado4wheel
10-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Hornady will send you a shim to solve the issue of the dies loosening for free. In my experience on my LnL, I only needed it for my Powder Measure. The others dies stayed put. With the shim the powder measure would be so tight I had to use a wrench to get it on or off. Sometimes I would loosen my die adjustment on the measure when I moved the powder measure. PITA. For me the 650 has been a far better machine. It's not even close from a "fuss factor" point of view once the machine is setup properly. I have not used a RCBS Pro 2000.

KYCaster
10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Well, color me lucky! [smilie=p:

I have two LNL's and haven't had any of the problems you guys describe.

Indexing has always been smooth and positive. Even with nearly 100% load density in 38 Super I don't get any spilled powder. I admit, I don't normally go at it like killin' snakes but I did try running at 3 to 4 seconds a cycle and no problems.

I haven't had any problem with the LNL bushings loosening....don't quite understand what you're saying. I can't see how torquing with a wrench would help anything.

This is the first I've heard of problems ejecting primers. Complaints of feeding primers aren't unusual, but Hornady's spent primer system is WAY ahead of the competition. Forget to empty Dillon's little catch cup and you have primers all over the floor. The Lee Load Master catches the primers inside the hollow ram...you empty it by sliding a little sheet metal cover and poking at it with a coat hanger. Forget to empty it and it seats the spent primer back into the case you just took it out of. Lee's Pro 1000 doesn't even attempt to catch primers, they just fall everywhere.

The original wire loaded round ejector works very well for me and I see no need to upgrade to the newer system. I have shell plates for anything I can reasonably expect to load in the foreseeable future and it would be an unnecessary expense to replace them all.

So, I guess the bottom line is....we all have a different idea about what is acceptable and each of us has to decide for ourselves which product will suit our needs.

Jerry

Oreo
10-16-2011, 07:06 AM
The old ejection wire system on the lnl did work for some. If you're one of those, count your lucky stars. Many folks cursed that wire to hell & back & still couldn't get it to eject reliably. A few folks say they've had some issues with ez-ject but by & large it seems to be quite functional for most. Works great for me anyway.

I'll dig around in the basement for those O-rings later today for some info on them.

Moonman
10-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Oreo,

Thank You.

Moonman
10-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Oreo,

Thank You, My good man.

omgb
10-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I just finished reconditioning and resetting one of my L-N-L presses...the one with the case feeder. It had sat idle for almost 6 years. Now that I'm done, I'd like to comment on what I re-discovered.

1. First, this is a very high quality machine that has been well thought out. Everything fits well and has been machined carefully from high quality materials. The smoothness of the action attests to this quite well. "Like butter" is an understatement. Nothing but very muted clicks can be heard as the machine goes though a cycle.

2. Next is the easy of maintnence. All I did was blow off the machine with compressed air, wipe it down with a clean rag dampened with CLP and then grease the zirks as directed. 5 years of idlness and no corrosion, no damage, nothing.

3. I followed the steps for set up and conversion from 32-20 to 30-06. It took about an hour but I was cleaning, inspecting and experimenting as I went along.

4. The biggest challenge was remembering all of the steps I had forgotten over the half a decade it sat idle. Fortunately I had my instructional book and Hornady's web site with videos.

5. I ran through one full primer tube, 100 rounds, in less than 15 minutes. I think I could have gone a lot faster if I had needed to but this was an easy pace that worked well with my getting reaquainted with the shell feeder. This morning I did another 100 in about 10 minutes. Accounting for time to reload the primer feed, add powder and change over cartridge catch tubs, my guess is that 400 rounds an hour is a snap, 500 should be about my comfortable max. if pressed and with a helper, I bet I could do 700 in a pinch.

In short, I like the machine...a lot. Hornady was very helpful with some replacement parts.....all no charge. I would most definetly buy another one. My next change will be to the new easy eject system and then the bullet feed for rifle when it comes on line. I think I'd like to have a roller handle too.