PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal & prevention

Northface37
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a 30.06 that is around 10-15 years old and has accumulated some rust on the barrel. Anyone with tips for removing the rust and gun back to like new condition.

I have always put gun oil on my rifle (stock and barrel) as a preventative measure but have never been sold on the theory.

Suggestions???

leftiye
09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Don't put machine oil on the wood. DON'T

As for rust, almost any machine oil (WD40 is good, other thangs are betta), use 0000 steel wool and oil if oil and rag doesn't get it. They used to have silicone gun cloths to prevent rust - also silicone gun socks. Probly better things nowadays (I don't live where rust is a big threat BTW). If these don't work , maybe kroil, and there are rust removers, some of which also remove blueing (no fun).

Frank46
09-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Bought a rem 870 police turn in shotgun. Receiver and bbl were covered with areas of light rust. 4/0 steel wool and some breakfree and a little elbow grease and except for one or two spots all the rust is gone. Redid the stock and forend and you'd never believe it was the same shotgun. Frank

Molly
09-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I once had a problem with my guns rusting in the safe. I tried everything on the market. All the gun oils, the silicone cloths, the WD-40 types, penetrating oils, you name it. A few days later, a white patch across the metal would come away rust red. Then I tried a product called RIG (stands for Rust Inhibiting Grease). A few days later, the patch was still white. Same after a week, two weeks, a month and six months later. I use almost NOTHING else.

DCM
10-11-2011, 06:37 AM
If one cannot find RIG there are other spray greases available from the automotive industry that should work as well.
One is made by Zep I cannot remember the others. They are used as alight lube and a rust preventative.

Three44s
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I use CorrosionX

Three 44s

KCSO
11-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Use Nevrdull It will take off the rust and leave the blue. If the rust is very heavy you might need to start with steel wool and oil but that will also take off the blue.

John Boy
01-03-2012, 01:04 AM
All my firearms have a patch down the bore and are wiped with a shop rag of Eezox.
Here's a test I did of the product ...

Eezox Rusting Prevention Test (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457.0)

uscra112
01-03-2012, 06:10 PM
A bronze bristle brush does better than steel wool. Less abrasive to the blue on the surrounding area.

Corrosion-X works for me.

Linseed oil on the metal concealed under the wood will protect against rusting better than anything I know. I wonder why Cosmoline was even invented, given the properties of linseed oil. Hoppes' #9 takes it off. Terps or mineral spirits would also, but they don't smell as nice.

Big Rack
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
EEZOX stinks but works well it dries and doesn't collect dust, seems expensive when you see the size of the can but a little goes a long way. I tried it on a pocket carried pistol for CCW and some knife blades and it does work. I can't remember where but on some forum there is a test on steelwool left outside on a coastline pretty interesting.

afish4570
01-11-2012, 02:07 AM
If one cannot find RIG there are other spray greases available from the automotive industry that should work as well.
One is made by Zep I cannot remember the others. They are used as alight lube and a rust preventative.

Available from several houses but has been discontinued by Midway....try Brownells.... I bought the 15 0z Can for about $10{will last many years), then go to the hardware store and buy a lamps wool (not synthetic) bonnet for a buffer or random size piece. Cut a piece about 3 " X 4" and work some Rig into the lambs wool. After you use it a few times a thin but protective coating is applied to all blue surfaces. When hunting hard I miss a day or two before reapplying.....unless it gets into the rain or snow. Then I wipe down to dry with a cloth or paper towel and reapply. My guns are older than most readers and look great.......afishr4570:grin::grin: