PDA

View Full Version : Tall tales and myths

colt 357
09-27-2011, 06:35 PM
God how many times have I heard since I starting casting and shooting lead though my automatics that I can't shoot lead through a automatic. "It well lead your barrel, It well wreck your gun, reloads wont cycle in a automatic" and many more.
Just were did this get started. I had a gun store manager tell me I couldn't shoot lead through my automatic that I would lead it up and wreck it. Then he said of course that he had a box of a 100 copper jacketed bullets for 24.99 that I could buy that would be much better and safer for my gun. That was after I cast and shot about 2500 rounds though my gun already. I asked him if his granddad had told the wright brothers that they couldnt fly He then gave me that deer in the headlights look and I told him that I had already shot about 2500 rounds through mine.
So did gun store people come up with this to sell more bullets. Not much profit in selling molds. Or is it just people trying to load that didnt know what they were doing.

mroliver77
09-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I tell people that all the time. I also tell them I am a certified lead recycler. I will take their lead waste and recycle it into an environmentally safe product. I don't charge them much either!
J

FISH4BUGS
09-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I have been shooting cast lead bullets through my MACHINE GUNS....now THAT'S what I call automatic!
I have seen gun store people that have an appaling lack of knowledge about guns and reloading.
My 9mm, 45 and 380 are all cast. Hundreds (sometimes thousands) at a pop. Cast with an old Saeco (Gi profile ball) and Hensley & Gibbs moulds (9mm and 380) and sized on a Star sizer. Loaded on a Dillon 550b.
The Mac11A1 in 380 submachinegun is more fun than a human being should be allowed to have. I couldn't afford to shoot them if I didn't cast.
Automatic? Surely they jest.........and yes they are all legal and registered and tax paid guns....they allow us to own such infernal machines here in NH....live free or die is our State motto!

geargnasher
09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Blame me. I've been spreading that rumour far and wide, as often and loudly as I can. You see, I'm a greedy sort of fellow, more wheel weights for me and all of you who know the truth!! [smilie=p:

Gear

Baron von Trollwhack
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I gave up trying to influence any of the 7 D's flitting about SW.

BvT

Gunfixer
09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
GEAR... Now I know why I can only find steel WW around here. And mroliver77, Love it. FISH4BUGS, you go!
And colt 357 as they said on the "newer" Star Trek's..... and the adventure continues.

geargnasher
09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
No, I don't quite range that far, but thanks for saving me the time! Kerrville's all spoken for :D:D

Gear

colt 357
09-27-2011, 08:14 PM
geargnasher

Rules for Precision: Measure with a micrometer. Mark with chalk. Cut with an axe. Assemble with a sledgehammer.

you been watching me build stuff in my garage haven't you.

Ugluk
09-28-2011, 03:34 PM
geargnasher

Rules for Precision: Measure with a micrometer. Mark with chalk. Cut with an axe. Assemble with a sledgehammer.

you been watching me build stuff in my garage haven't you.

I always thought it went

Measure with a micrometer. Mark with chalk. Cut with a torch. Beat to fit. Paint to match

Both are good though..

C.F.Plinker
09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
I always thought it went

Field fit and fabricate with material found on site. Measure with a micrometer. Mark with chalk. Cut with a torch. Beat to fit. Paint to match Slope to drain.

Both are good though..

See additon above.

bowfin
09-28-2011, 10:23 PM
An old saying at a manufacturing plant where I used to works was, "Never use second best when junk will do!"

The other one was, "Engineers take a good idea and improve it to the point of uselessness."

KCSO
09-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Please propagate this myth, tell everyone you know. This is how you get FREE lead, That stuff will RUIN your gun! I got a 5 gallon bucked of wheel weights last week from a fellow who thought it was no good to shoot.