PDA

View Full Version : marlin 39

mainiac
02-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Forgive me if this isnt proper but, I have an overwhelming desire to own a marlin 39. Would you guys buy a new one,or look for a old one? They are rarer than hens teeth where i live, but i did find one with a scope atop it,with sling.Beleave its a golden 39, in 98% condition.Wants 500 bucks for it. About 100-110 over blue book,but is it worth it, or do i buy a new one for 476 tax and all? I think the newer ones look nicer,as i despise the white line spacer crap. I asked here because after all,it does shoot lead boolits! thanks,

madcaster
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
At that price if the new one does not have the extra sefety,then i would buy new.
There is a thread somewheres that shows how to hide that extra safety,guys,can ya'll help out?
Thanks,
Jeff.

woody1
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Forgive me if this isnt proper but, I have an overwhelming desire to own a marlin 39. Would you guys buy a new one,or look for a old one? They are rarer than hens teeth where i live, but i did find one with a scope atop it,with sling.Beleave its a golden 39, in 98% condition.Wants 500 bucks for it. About 100-110 over blue book,but is it worth it, or do i buy a new one for 476 tax and all? I think the newer ones look nicer,as i despise the white line spacer crap. I asked here because after all,it does shoot lead boolits! thanks,

mainiac, FWIW I almost never buy new but I also don't pay more than new price for a shooter. What's the scope on it worth? If it's a Leupold in good mounts mebe it's worth the asking price. Then again, what's the whole works worth to you? Regards, Woody Check these guys out http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28

hpdrifter
02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
just bought a used one, a '65 model; I think, and I love it. Walnut and steel! It is as heavy or heavier than my 30-30's.

Cost me a whopping $260. Wood already has that "aged" look and only one little bare spot towards muzzle. Not really bare, just a little blue rubbed a little light.

eka
02-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I've got two of them. A late 70's model and an mid-80's Golden model. They are a real joy to shoot.

6pt-sika
02-03-2007, 02:20 AM
I bid on a really nice 39A-DL with Marlin scope and sling that was about 98% three years ago . Ran it up to $600 and thought I was going to high . Found out later the gun was worth about $1200 .

This past december went to another auction where they had a 39M that was made in 1958 ran that one up to $500 and no cigar . This gun was about 92%.

I have a 1897T I bought new at Gander Mountain right after marlin quit making the 1897T . Paid $525 NIB for that one .

Still want a 39M from the 50's and possibly a 39A from the 50's as well as a 39A-DL [smilie=1:

NVcurmudgeon
02-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Beware of Marlin 39As of early eighties vintage. A friend of mine had one, made c. 1980, that had the bore drilled cattywampus. At the muzzle the bore was so far offcenter that the barrel wall was about twice as thick on one side as it was on the other. A couple of years later I got a new one and mounted a scope on it, but could not get it sighted in because there wasn't enough elevation adjustment. I sent if back and they test fired it and pronounce it good and returned it. I then put on a Williams receiver sight and got it sighted in, but the sight was raised so high it looked like I was about to enter the Wimbleton Cup match. Either the barrel was bent, or it was in a misdrilled hole in the receiver. I sent it back again with a patient explanation. Again, they shot it with the factory open sight and sent it back, "fixed." I traded it off to a different dealer at a gun show on a used 336. I have since bought another satisfactory Marlin, and probably will again, but I think I am not meant to have a 39A. Guess I'll just have to struggle along with my CZ 452 Classic American.

Hanz
02-03-2007, 09:57 AM
For what it's worth, I don't see many of those around here. I just don't see them pass through the local gunshop. That tells me that those that have them like them and that they are worth waiting for.

Good luck with your search.

w30wcf
02-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I found a used 39A made in '49 about 2 years ago when I was traveling near Philadelphia, PA. The price was $250 and the gun was in nice shape. Turned out to be a good shooter too!:-D

Good luck on your search.
w30wcf

mooman76
02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I had one as a kid, in fact it was the first gun I ever owned. I started having trouble with it jamming cause It was about wore out by my brother in law who sold it to me for $125. I ended up swapping it for a Fox double 20 gauge with silver triggers. Wish I still had either of those guns. I bought and sold allot of guns when I was younger but I think very carefully now before I even consider it!

mainiac
02-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I bid on a really nice 39A-DL with Marlin scope and sling that was about 98% three years ago . Ran it up to $600 and thought I was going to high . Found out later the gun was worth about $1200 .

This past december went to another auction where they had a 39M that was made in 1958 ran that one up to $500 and no cigar . This gun was about 92%.

I have a 1897T I bought new at Gander Mountain right after marlin quit making the 1897T . Paid $525 NIB for that one .

Still want a 39M from the 50's and possibly a 39A from the 50's as well as a 39A-DL [smilie=1:

6pt-sika, found a gun today that i think might be a DL..... has a squirrel in the right hand side of but stock, according to the blue book,these are really collectable. This has real fancy wood on it that is perfect,and the metal would rate about 75% to me. The wood must have been refinished,it would seem. Anyhow,he wants 500 for it,and if the metal was a little better,id probaly grab it. I think ill pass though,i can give you a phone number of the shop(here in the frozen north!) if youd like to check it out. Thanks for the replies fellers.

mainiac
02-03-2007, 07:31 PM
woody, you must have lived here before,if you know about ktp. Oregon is a longggggggggg haul from here! Ive been lokking at there site,only problem is that there 200 miles south of here! Thats the only real gun shop that is in maine, and i get down there in the summer,go in, and dont the ol lady get pissed waiting for me to come out! HA!

Maineboy
02-03-2007, 08:37 PM
woody, you must have lived here before,if you know about ktp. Oregon is a longggggggggg haul from here! Ive been lokking at there site,only problem is that there 200 miles south of here! Thats the only real gun shop that is in maine, and i get down there in the summer,go in, and dont the ol lady get pissed waiting for me to come out! HA!

Mainiac, traveling 200 miles to buy a gun is nothing when your from "The County". KTP is about 350 miles from where I live. The only gun I've bought there though is a Swedish Mauser, and I made the trip down and back in the same day. I do check there website regularly to keep up with prices.
I got my Golden 39 the easy way, it was a Christmas present from Mrs. Maineboy, so I guess I've had it about 6 weeks now. It formerly belonged to my step-father who bought it new in the 70s. He fired about 10 rounds through it and put it away. I'd always told him that if he ever decided to sell it, I had first dibs. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, but the squirrels that dare come to my bird feeders are taking are taking hell. It's a nice gun and lots more accurate than the 10-22 I used to use on them.

w30wcf
02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
mainiac,

I just checked the Kittery Trading Post, Kittery, Maine website www.kitterytradingpost.com
and I see they have 3 used 39A's for sale, priced from $375 to $475. One of them is a second model with some case on the frame:

Gun Code: 91356
Manufacturer: Marlin
Serial Number: B1846
Model: 39A
Action: Rifle: Lever
Caliber: 22 Lr
Condition: 75%
Features: SOME CASE ON FRAME, EXC BORE; 24"; 2ND MODEL
Price: $475.00

Description: A Second Model Marlin 39A with takedown configuration, round blued barrel, full length tubular magazine, color case hardened frame, and varnished uncheckered walnut stock. The stock is very solid showing modest use with light handling marks in the wood and a bit of wear on varnish. The barrel blueing is excellent and shows only light scattered rust. The receiver still shows some strong color and has a one piece Weaver base for scope mounting. The bore is very good.

You could have a gun shipped from there to your local dealer.

Good luck,
w30wcf

woody1
02-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Nope. Oregon born and raised, never been east of the Mississippi. Heck hardly been east of Boise, but I found KTP on the web a long time ago! Regards, Woody

6pt-sika
02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
6pt-sika, found a gun today that i think might be a DL..... has a squirrel in the right hand side of but stock, according to the blue book,these are really collectable. This has real fancy wood on it that is perfect,and the metal would rate about 75% to me. The wood must have been refinished,it would seem. Anyhow,he wants 500 for it,and if the metal was a little better,id probaly grab it. I think ill pass though,i can give you a phone number of the shop(here in the frozen north!) if youd like to check it out. Thanks for the replies fellers.

Maniac when you look at the roll stamping on the barrel . Where it normally would be stamped 39A , one of these will be stamped 39A-DL and yes they do have the squirrel in the butt stock and very fancy wood .

If its a dealer that has this rifle I would be intrested in talking with him thanks .

mainiac
02-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Well, i bought a 39 today. He wanted a lot for it,but ive never seen a used gun in such good shape! Id rate it 99% and it has buetiful fancy wood with swirls threw the grip checkering. Got it home and looked it up, aa serial number means it was made in 1965. Dont know how anybody could keep a gun for 42 years and look like this! Now i just cant wait to try it out!!!! Came with a marlin leather sling and a scope. Took the scope and mount off, and now id like to find plug screws for the 2 holes? Should i contact marlin? Aint been this pleased with a gun in years!!!!! One other question, where the white bullseye is supposed to be,there is a real dark wooden plug instead of the bullseye. Whys was this done? thanks,

dltaskey
02-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Bout any gunshop or gunsmith should have screws to fit the receiver and, occasionally, the little bullseye in the Marlin stocks gets drilled out by someone trying to install a sling swivel there. Can't imagine the wood would shrink and have it drop out but guess it's possible.

6pt-sika
02-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Bout any gunshop or gunsmith should have screws to fit the receiver and, occasionally, the little bullseye in the Marlin stocks gets drilled out by someone trying to install a sling swivel there. Can't imagine the wood would shrink and have it drop out but guess it's possible.

I have three or four rifles that the Bullseye has fallen out of . Don't think the wood shrinks , but the plastic bullseye might . I've seen the white spacers that shrunk before . Also the hole they drilled may not have been the tightest and the glue finally let go hence it falls out.

Char-Gar
02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
My 1952 vintage 39 comes with an interesting story. It was used to committ a double homicide in Texas. My Uncle was the Judge in the trial of the killer.

Some years later, the Sheriff was having his office painted and when they moved some file cabinets they found the rifle behim them. The Sheriff ask my Uncle what to do with it, as his records showed it had been destroyed years before.

My Uncle picked up the rifle and told the Sheriff not to wory about it, as he would take care of the problem.. Well you can guess how he took care of the problem. He gave it to me.

It is a great shooting rifle. I have put an old all steel Lyman receiver on it.

When my Son turned 14, I gave him a carbine version of he 39. The 39 is one rifle everybody should own.

9.3X62AL
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
I still have a first-year M-39 if someone is interested........Marble's tang sight, S/N range 16XX. 90% or better, I'd say. Lemme know.

Scrounger
02-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Marlin will send you free a new plastic "Bullseye"; just use some epoxy glue to hold it in place. They will probably also send you the 6X48 plug screws for nada; if not you can buy some for Brownells fairly cheap or pay a local gunsmith about a buck apiece for them. That's a lot easier than ordering a dozen of them and paying shipping. But I'd try Marlin first. I know I have some but I wouldn't know where to find them at this time.

mainiac
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
sorry for the confusion. Let me say it another way... I have 336 marlins with the white bullseye,but this marlin 39 has a dark (mohogany maybe?) piece of wood in the bullseye hole. It is put in there perfectly, by the factory as its a very nice looking job. My question is,why wouldnt have marlin put a plastic bullseye in this hole instead of the wood? It fits so perfect, that if it wasnt for the color,you wouldnt know there was a hole there. Have you guys ever run into this before? I wish i knew how to post pics,as i bet you guys would love to see this baby, and i could show you what im talking about.

PatMarlin
02-06-2007, 03:36 AM
I bought my 39a century LTD at the age of 11- just like the one in my avatar in 1970 from money mowin' lawns.

It's the 1870 to 1970 cenntenial, and some how I've kept it as new all these years with only a few marks in the varnish.

My very first rifle, and if I had a son, it woulda been his but that wasn't in the cards.. :drinks:

mainiac
02-10-2007, 06:18 PM
A quick update, have shot probaly 300 rounds threw the 39 the last few days. Shot 6-8 different brands of ammo, federal 510 seems to be the best so far, .750-.800 10 shot groups at 40 yards. This is one sweet gun! Shoots off-hand really well as well. Cant beleave i waited so many years to own one! As long as my eyes hold up, I dont need no stinkin scope with this baby! It even feeds cci cb shorts 100% ( no noise! What an asset!)

MikeSSS
02-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I shoot a 1956 Marlin 39 and a much newer Marlin 94 in .45 Long Colt.

They are the same size but the 39's smaller bore makes it more nose heavy. The 94 has replacement wood and has more drop at the comb and so it fits me better. The action is smoother on the 94 but it's had an action job.

I was ten years old when that 39 was new and it's what I wanted for my tenth birthday. Well now I've got it. It sure does shoot nice.

Got a Marlin 32 rimfire once, 32Rf Shorts were the only ammo I could find. It had a real rainbow trajectory. I wanted a 22 but could only get a 32.

6pt-sika
02-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Got a Marlin 32 rimfire once, 32Rf Shorts were the only ammo I could find. It had a real rainbow trajectory. .

You either had a Model 1891, 1892 or 92 . They were all rimfire or centerfire with the change of the firing pin .

They also shot 32 Long and Short rimfire . The 32 Short Colt and 32 Long Colt .

I have a 92 that was made about 1914-1916 . And have both firing pins and shoot mostly 32 Long Colt in mine although I do have some 32 Short Colt as well . When I bought the little rifle a box of "Period" 32 rimfire came with it . But as of yet I've not fired any 32 rimfire .

Pretty neat little cartridge to load for . In the Long Colt I cast a 90 grain heel bullet and load it with 2.5 or 3 grains of Unique . Comes out at about 900-1000fps.

pumpguy
02-15-2007, 10:10 PM
PatMarlin, I have only been a member of this board for a short time, but, I have always kind of thought of you as a father. HAHA. I do not have a model 39, but, my father in law gave me a model 94 in 22 magnum. I do not know what year it was made, but it has a cross bolt safety. It has always shot high; beyond the reach of the ladder sight. Could this be one of the poorly drilled barrels folks have talked about on this thread and any suggestions for correcting??

Dr. A
02-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Chris, just change the front sight out. Gives you a chance to choose what you want. Believe you'll need a taller one if your rear sight is bottomed out.

PatMarlin
02-16-2007, 12:07 AM
PatMarlin, I have only been a member of this board for a short time, but, I have always kind of thought of you as a father. HAHA.

Somehow that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.. :mrgreen: