PDA

View Full Version : Lee 300gr 45 Colt Data Help....

41mag
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I have it on order but it hasn't made it here just yet.

If anyone with the Lee Loading manual would be so kind, Could you shoot me the load data for the Lee 300gr RF in 45 Colt. The standard and Ruger Only both please. A decent digital pic would suffice.

I have found only a few loads listed for any 300gr cast bullets and figured this might be the best place to ask.

Thanks,

ocelott
09-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Depends on the gun - a great starting point is about 12.5gr/2400 - it's safe in any 45colt and for me it provides great accuracy. I've not chrono'd the load but I believe it should run about 1000-1100 fps range from my lever, and about 750 fps in my 7.5" SAA. In a STRONG lever or pistol (Ruger load levels) I've read from Paco that he has run a similar boolit up to 20gr/2400 for about 1650fps/32000 CUP - I've not exceeded the 12.5gr yet - it shoots nice and the recoil is almost non-existent.

41mag
09-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks Ocelott, thats just what I needed to get me started off, even the powder I wanted to use.

The revolver is a Ruger Redhawk 7.5, but I am not looking to magnumize the loads, just wanted to use some of what I have already poured up to see how they shot. If I want to rock and roll, I have the 454 for that.

Hadn't even thought about Paco's data and I have a bunch of his stuff stashed away here on the PC. It's been a bit crazy here for the past couple of days, so it's no wonder I forgot all about it.

Thanks again,

41mag
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Well I loaded up 25 rounds starting at 12.5grs and moving up in 1/2gr increments to 14.5grs of Hercules 2400. These have two seating grooves and I chose to use the bottom one as it would fit the cylinder. I used new Starline cases, and Win-WLP primers. All boolits were lubed with the 45/45/10, GC's seated and lubed again. Might not have needed the GC's but I had them, so figured why not.

I was pleasantly surprised at the initial 12.5gr accuracy, but almost ecstatic, about the 14.5gr load. At 25yds it was almost a one hole group, even if it was close to an inch in diameter. LOL

There were no signs of pressure what so ever, and in fact I had quite a bit of unburnt powder through out the loads. It was just as much on the start loads as was noted in the top loads. The crazy thing was the middle loads of 13.5grs left the most. All were crimped in really well using a taper crimp.

I might work up a bit to 16grs, but that would only be to see if the powder burns any better. I am going to try another round of the 14.5'gr load and see if I can get the crimp any better to possibly help out with it as well.

Overall it was a hoot. That is a big whop when it gets to the target. I didn't have my chrono with me as I was mainly up at the place to work and do a little bow hunting. For the most part I could have left the bow at home. I had too many other things that took precedence.

Rico1950
10-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Use a firm roll crimp to improve burn.

41mag
10-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks Rico, I considered that as well.

These were only the third bullets I have fired from this revolver. The other two were the Oregon Trial 200 and 255 loaded over Unique simply to put something through it.

It looks like the thing is a shooter no doubt as everything I have run through it so far has been easily under 2" at 25yds, and I haven't really done and thing other than pick out a load and shoot. The 300's I did work up somewhat, but even so, they all shot VERY well. I did have to adjust the sights a bit, but it was needed anyway.

I'm looking forward to trying out a few other powders, and combinations with what I have already used.

badbob454
10-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Well I loaded up 25 rounds starting at 12.5grs and moving up in 1/2gr increments to 14.5grs of Hercules 2400. These have two seating grooves and I chose to use the bottom one as it would fit the cylinder. I used new Starline cases, and Win-WLP primers. All boolits were lubed with the 45/45/10, GC's seated and lubed again. Might not have needed the GC's but I had them, so figured why not.

I was pleasantly surprised at the initial 12.5gr accuracy, but almost ecstatic, about the 14.5gr load. At 25yds it was almost a one hole group, even if it was close to an inch in diameter. LOL

There were no signs of pressure what so ever, and in fact I had quite a bit of unburnt powder through out the loads. It was just as much on the start loads as was noted in the top loads. The crazy thing was the middle loads of 13.5grs left the most. All were crimped in really well using a taper crimp.

I might work up a bit to 16grs, but that would only be to see if the powder burns any better. I am going to try another round of the 14.5'gr load and see if I can get the crimp any better to possibly help out with it as well.

Overall it was a hoot. That is a big whop when it gets to the target. I didn't have my chrono with me as I was mainly up at the place to work and do a little bow hunting. For the most part I could have left the bow at home. I had too many other things that took precedence.

i found the 2400 is a little messy i switched to ..aa#9 /or wc 820 and shot much cleaner

DanWalker
10-13-2011, 10:56 PM
I've been to 20 grains of 2400 under that exact same boolit.
I wouldn't suggest it. After about 20 rounds, the screw holding my magazine tube in on my win94 trapper, sheared off.
I didn't notice the gripframe screws had loosened in my blackhawk, and I cracked the gripframe with the same load.
It is pretty brutal in both guns, and I really haven't found that I lost any killing power when I backed down to 18 grains. About 6 years ago I shot through 2 texas hogs at the same time with one of these loads.
I've since backed down to 16.5 grains and it still works great. I will probably go back to 18 grains when I take the winchester to Africa next year.
If you want a really pleasant load to shoot under that boolit, try 6.5 grains of red dot. I get around 900 fps from the 5.5" barrel of my blackhawk. It's super accurate, has power enough for deer sized game, and is really kind to your wrists. That LEE boolit is just a tremendous hunting design. You don't have to push it super fast to see some really good on game performance.

leadman
10-14-2011, 09:34 PM
If you want high velocity use the data from Hodgdon's website for 110/296. With a good roll crimp it burns much better than 2400 and the recoil is slower. I used this data in my Bisley with the Lee 300gr boolit and velocity was over 1,300 fps with excellent accuracy.

Blue Dot works real well in the 45 Colt also.

bigboredad
10-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I have had excellent results from enforcer and a 300gr. bullet but it wasn't a lee and after reading Dans' post I will refrain from posting the load

41mag
10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info there on your loads folks I have been studying on them for a while now. I have several powders to choose from but was hoping to use up that 2400 in something.

I'm not looking to push them too awfully hard either. I have the 454 for that. I just picked up a PB mold for it as well so I may simply drop the higher octane loads and go with something just between the 45 ACP and the 454.

bigboredad, don't sweat the data I totally understand. Then again like mentioned I am not looking for blistering loads form this one even though it is a Redhawk.

Thanks again for your ideas.

bigboredad
10-19-2011, 11:24 PM
I find the recoil using a 300 grain bullet much easier to handle than a 255gr. The 300gr is much more of a push. If you are looking to use 2400 16gr is a incredibly comfortable load and I believe it should get you around 1000 to 1100 depending on your gun