PDA

View Full Version : Tight chamber question?

gcollins
09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi All,
I have some AR 15 barrels that have tight chambers, I have looked at buying a new chamber reamer, but if there is a different way to open up the chambers I would realy like to here about it?
The case's will start but will only go in half way by hand, i had not tried to slam then in the chamber.
I welcome any and all advice.
Thanks
G

GabbyM
09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Is this new ammo or resized?
Last new DPMS AR I bought in 223 REM with SAMI chamber I had to purchase a new FL size die as my 30 year old die would not size cases small enough anymore.
Would be shocked if chambers are tight. At some point a go gage went into them.

gcollins
09-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi Grabby,
I tried New ammo, I have several different date Lake City. I am sure that a person would not have any luck finding a used reamer. And the cheapest new one I have found was a $100.00 plus shipping. I was hopeing someone would come on here and tell me that I could buy something else. I have run my lathe very little, but I guess this is as good of time to learn that I am going to have.
G

John Taylor
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
This might work for you. http://4-dproducts.com/

Multigunner
09-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi All,
I have some AR 15 barrels that have tight chambers, I have looked at buying a new chamber reamer, but if there is a different way to open up the chambers I would realy like to here about it?
The case's will start but will only go in half way by hand, i had not tried to slam then in the chamber.
I welcome any and all advice.
Thanks
G

Could these be "short chambered" the type that is intended to be finish reamed when the bolt is fitted to get minimum headspace?
I've seen short chambered barrels sold as replacement barrels for the M1 carbine, and I've been told thats how they were delivered to armorers when carbine barrels were replaced.
I've also heard this is common for Garand barrels.

I'd think that a M16 barrel with chromed chamber couldn't be fitted and finished reamed in this manner. A unplated barrel for the AR15 might be a different story.

Also theres the possibility that the throat is too tight for some milspec 5.56 and would make chambering difficult.

ou should probably make a cerosafe chamber cast and mike it before going further.
I would not risk ruining a barrel by trying to open up the chamber with anything other than a proper reamer.

You might want to use a chamber brush to be sure theres no foreign material in the chambers, such as a thick coat of dried preservative of some sort.

gcollins
09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
John, thanks for the link!
Multi, You are correct about inspecting the cambers and I havn't got that far yet! I realy want to do this my self but I am pretty much over my head since I am not a Gun Smith, nor have I had any instrutions on how to run a mill or a lathe but I allways wanted them when I was working, but theat didn't happen, and since my injury I have wheeled and dealed to get and since I have limited time to learn them I just have go slow, I will cast the chambers to check them.
Thanks
G

gcollins
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
MultiGunner,
You were right! I couldn't believe that the barrels had not been cleaned good! I took my 45cal brush and Hopes #9 and scrubbed real good and I couldn't believe it, no chamber problem
Thanks
Greg