PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1911-22 Thoughts?

avogunner
09-27-2011, 07:06 AM
This sure looks like a fun little gun and I would like to hear a review from anyone who has one. I had a Chiappa 1911 and honestly, didn't think much of it. Accuracy was marginally acceptable but reliability just wasn't there (at least mine wasn't). Just too picky/finicky on ammo for my liking so it had to go. I would imagine a Browning would be of higher quality and be better in this regard.

Thanks
Jeff

Ben
09-27-2011, 08:07 AM
All you have to do is go to Google :

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/browning-1911-22-review/

avogunner
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah Ben, I've read that and another review in a recent Shooting Times and they are glowing. However, these professional writers mostly get worked over, polished guns to evaluate. A more honest, even test would be what one of the users here has experienced with a regular production gun.....at least I think so.

fecmech
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Trigger: 8 lbs., 2 oz.

Yeah, that's just what I want for $600!

KCSO
09-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Don't worry it will be 2 years before you can get one.

square butte
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Last I read they were due out last spring. Maybe they are trying to work the bugs out of that 8 lb trigger. I am interested in the smaller version of the two they are supposedly goin to offer.

Hickory
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I have one ordered, I have room in the safe for another shooter.[smilie=w:

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Why not just buy a Ciener conversion and go happy?

Rich

fecmech
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Why not just buy a Ciener conversion and go happy?

Rich

You could probably buy a cheap 1911 .45 and the Ceiner and have money left over to buy some .22 ammo! I bought one for my Springfield MilSpec. It's been trouble free and reasonably accurate, about 2"@ 25 yds.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-06-2011, 02:00 AM
Yep! I had an opportunity to buy a new Para Ranger model for $450, out the door today. Add the Ciener Platinum for less than $225 and you are very, very close in price. And then you have a nice 45 and the conversion.

Rich

pulaski
03-24-2012, 11:11 PM
avogunner ,
Just picked one up at the local gun shop .
My trigger is not 8lbs. , it is resonable (don't have a trigger guage) .
At 25 yds. it will shoot into a 3" circle .
Ran about 300 rnds. through it , no jams or problems .
Thanks , Steve

MtGun44
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I think I read something about Ceiner is in jail for fraud.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/11/07/sheriffs-arrest-jonathan-arthur-ciener-on-fraud-charges/

Bill

leadshooter5
04-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I have the GSG (German Sport Guns) version of the 1911 that I paid $450 for. It shoots about 2" at 25 yds, but with 20% fliers out to 4" or so. These critters all have zinc-aluminum frames and slides that are VERY soft. One guy tightened his windage set screw so tight that he displaced enough metal below it to impede the firing pin. Mine is very sensitive to ammo, and would only function with Thunderbolt, which was also the most accurate. Just tried some CCI AR (40 gr solid @ 1240fps) this week with good results. Kind of pricey though. All in all, I should have bought a Ruger 22/45 with the more comfortable wood grips.

Throwback
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Just got one - seems Browning has been struggling to fill orders...is everyone these days?

The trigger is actually very good. It is raining like the great flood out so no groups but I can hit a can pretty easily at 10-15 yds. No Jams. Its a cute little bugger!

I have a miniature flap holster and mini Kabar ordered to complete the package.

As for other .22s on the 1911 theme, our shop has sold a few of the GSG, and Sig variants but I cannot comment on their longevity yet. There metal appears to be good quality (aluminum) similar to Kimber. None have come back in. We have not ordered any Chiappas. I did not like the look of them, and they definitely appear to be more of a cheap casting. The best option for any of you who already have a .45 or three is the Kimber conversion. They work great on almost everything. The only exception was a Para GI with a baked on finish. It slowed the slide travel too much. It would work, but only if slathered in light oil. It has adjutable Bo-Mar style sights - its accurate, and it never jams.

Do NOT order anything from Ceiner. Everything you have heard is true.

Throwback
04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Got to shoot it a bit more (along with a S&W M&P 15-22) and had a hell of a hood time. I always love reactive targets. The pistol is very light so harder to keep on target but the learning curve is short. The trigger is nothing you can't get used to. Accuracy was best with a pad of the finger straight press vs. pulling with the knuckle. The trigger probably runs close to 6 lbs with a fair amount of creep. It smoothed up a little bit with use and I will probably leave it alone for a while. It fed everything. I have a grab bag of plinking ammo for test fire purposes that customers have left here with the guns they have traded. The pistol shot to the sights and is accurate enough for small game but as expected it can't compete with a High Standard. I am quite happy with it.

In my second life I am re-discovering .22's and I am really enjoying them. The S&W, GSG & Umarex MP5 lookalikes are a hoot and I highly recommend them.

CLAYPOOL
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
I bought 1 of the "Chiappa 1911's". I ran 3 clips (30) threw it with 2 fail to battery blips. Sent the remains of the 550 Federal loose carton home with my son and told him to break it in.. said no problems and he is out of shells. Him and Cus dan them threw it. He likes it...

jh45gun
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Yep Ciener has ripped off a lot of folks he did my friend UNTIL he got caught then started sending checks to folks to try to keep out of the slammer. There is no good excuse to have some one waiting for a conversion unit for OVER TWO YEARS.