PDA

View Full Version : custom seat die? (meplat too big on cast bullet)

Whiterabbit
09-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Hi guys,

So I have the LEE .452 300gr gas check mold, seems so far so good.

I've been loading up test rounds, and my seat die leaves a ring around the edge of the bullet when seating. Looks like the SWC seater plug is just a smidge too small for the meplat on this bullet.

On the RCBS website, I went looking for WFN or WC seater plugs but came up empty. They have SWC, spitzer, and RN, looks like that is it. I think.

Anyone have any experience with this, and what options I have? The only thing I can think of would be to buy another SWC seater and try to open it up to WC status or even try to cut it to better match the meplat I have.

What have you guys done here?

-----------------------

I should mention, I did work a load that shoots better than I do (not that that is saying much...) so I do have the option of doing nothing. Let the bullets get all marked up and just have at it. Not sure if that is wise though? The seat die would have to be adjusted for every run of bullets.

ReloaderFred
09-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Unless you intend to only load one bullet, you'd be well advised to invest in additional seating stems. I've picked them up at gunshows for next to nothing. I alter them as needed by either filling the cavity with a hot glue gun, or even epoxy. Just wax a bullet to keep the glue or epoxy from sticking to it and form the soft glue or epoxy to the bullet nose and let it harden.

I've also opened them up by using my drillpress as a sort of vertical lathe.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Whiterabbit
09-27-2011, 05:40 AM
with what tooling?

unfortunately my stems are rcbs modern, its some large threading, like 5/8ths x 40 tpi or similar. stems i see at the shows look like 10/32.

though I could see myself shooting enough of these to justify modifying a spare plug.

PacMan
09-27-2011, 06:13 AM
The ring wont hurt the bullet unless it is off center and then it does affect straight seating. For handgun bullets with a flat nose i fill the seating stem with JB Weld and then sand flat.Works well with most handgun type bullets.

09-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Ben shows the easist and least expensive way to go about it:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=128576

Whiterabbit
09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
That is an awesome thread. I might have to bookmark that one.

I can start with hotglue and reset the die, or buy a new die if I can find one and fill it with JB? That's way easier than trying to machine one out!

largom
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I use epoxy glue to custom fit my top punches and seating stems for each mold that I have. These are stored sererate from my dies and installed as needed.

Larry

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I have chucked top bunches in an electric drill, then while the top punch was spinning in the drill, use a drumel tool to cut the top punch to the needed profile.

Same might work with a seating stem.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Whiterabbit
09-30-2011, 03:21 PM
You guys rock.

I tried hot glue as a proof of concept and it worked like a champ. Bullets look perfect.

I'm buying a couple plugs now to use with JB Weld.