PDA

View Full Version : Stick on WW's and Tin Content

Fire_stick
09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Seems I read somewhere on this forum that tin remains shiny and does not lose its luster like pure lead, does.

And, I have noticed in my stockpile of ingots (which have been stored for about a year or so now) that the ingots from stick on ww's have retained their luster. The ingots that I know are pure lead, are dull.

Does this infer that stick on ww's have a fairly high tin content?

littlejack
09-27-2011, 01:45 AM
No sir. Most all casters, myself included consider SOWW's to be pure lead or very close to it. Most all of my ingots, clip on or stick on are all a dull gray color.
Jack

luis7
09-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi.
Last week I smelt around 30# stick on WW and ingots was around 14 bhn.
Some SOWW are pure lead and some are pure tim, and have SB (tim) or PB (lead) marks in its.
If you Knock its you can ear "clic" and not "cloc" like its are lead made of.
I cast 50/50 with this ingots and pure lead 9mm bullet and donīt have leading in my barrels at around 1000 fps alox NRA lubed.
Greetings from Espaņa.

littlejack
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey to you luis:
The 14 bhn sounds too hard for soww's. Pure lead is 5 and some has found soww's to be a
little harder, maybe 8 or so. Fourteen is getting in the range of softer coww or # 2 alloy.
Jack

luis7
09-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi jack.
I think that in Europa or in Espaņa, someone soww are made of tim 100% and its harder alloy. My soww ingots retain their luster too like coww. They have a different color that lead ingots. Soww ingots are like coww color.
I have lee lead tester, and it said +- 14 bhn.
Greetings from Espaņa.

littlejack
09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Luis:
I can't argue with what your tester says.
Good shooting to ya.
Jack

grumpy one
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
The stick-ons I've smelted had around a couple of percent of tin, much more than clip-ons have (about 0.5 percent), but virtually no antimony, and they have been quite a bit softer than clip-ons. However there is no barrier to anyone making stick-ons out of something else, provided it works. As we all know, a lot of them are made out of zinc, which is quite hard.

JeffinNZ
09-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Interestingly I have oven heat treated SOWW, with a little tin added, to 12 BHN. Air cooled they are around 6.5-7.0 BHN in my town.

williamwaco
09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Well,

You can't argue with Mr. Brinnel.

All I know is that I separate the stickons and when I get enough to smelt them they always test below 6 BNH.

I use them to soften up the harder clip-ons.

14 BNH would be a normal reading for clip-ons. They usually ttest 14 to 15 for me.

jsizemore
09-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi.
Last week I smelt around 30# stick on WW and ingots was around 14 bhn.
Some SOWW are pure lead and some are pure tim, and have SB (tim) or PB (lead) marks in its.
If you Knock its you can ear "clic" and not "cloc" like its are lead made of.
I cast 50/50 with this ingots and pure lead 9mm bullet and donīt have leading in my barrels at around 1000 fps alox NRA lubed.
Greetings from Espaņa.

Hi Luis,
The symbol for Tin is Sn. When you knock Tin it makes a "cloc" like Lead, Pb.

Antimony is Sb. When you knock it makes more of a "clic" then a "cloc"

It could be that the U.S. SOWWs are made of a different alloy then Europe's or Espana's.

luis7
09-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Hi.
Itīs true, soww have Sn symbol in its and not Sb.
They have tin and not antimony.
I think that my lee tester says well because my monotype letters are around 22-24 bhn, my coww ingots are around 15 bhn and my pure lead (lead pipe) are around 8 bhn. If my soww was soft I have leding problem and I donīt shoot it in 9mm. I have a good 9mm boolits made with soww.
It could be that the U.S. SOWWs are made of a different alloy in Espaņa.
Greetings.

afish4570
09-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Answered the door this a.m. and my friend says , I got something for you but can't lift is with my bad back. Turned out to be a 5 gal. pail half full of wheel weights. Seems lots of the new wts. I am not familiar with so I will have to learn the difference. afish4570:coffee::coffee: