PDA

View Full Version : Going to build a super lightweght AR w/a plumcrazy lower

newcastter
09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

tomme boy
09-27-2011, 01:55 AM
I would stay away from the plastic lowers. Been reports of them splitting. Your not going to save that muck weight anyway. What is going to be the main purpose of this rifle? Hunting or range toy?

Complete build or just dropping a upper on a lower? Don't skimp on quality. I have learned a few things with AR's and buy the best you can afford. Post a list of what parts you are going to use.

Moonie
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
tomme boy, I haven't seen any such reports, and I have a Plum Crazy lower, it isn't plastic it is polymer, the same material that Glocks are made from. Any one want to argue about how well they hold up?

Please explain how a polymer lower could split? There are no stresses placed upon the lower that would cause this to happen...

Again, I have one, in a lightweight AR in 6.8 SPC, runs beautifully, no issues at all.

The weight savings IS substantial, everyone that handles it is amazed at how light it is, the polymer lower is 1/2 the weight of a standard lower.

BTW, it shoots less than 1MOA all day long.

ilcop22
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Just don't shoot hot loads. They make all kinds of guns out of polymer these days (including magnums). I doubt this is an issue with rifles (particularly with the pipsqueak .223), but recoil can be a son-of-a-gun in super lightweight arms. Be particular about the weight distribution so your lightweight gun doesn't turn into a forward heavy boat anchor.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
You can build a very fine and light gun with a A-1 carbine profile barrel, carry handle upper, stock lower, and boom tube butstock. Most AR parts are essentialy generic. What you really need is thoughtful, careful assembly, a good trigger, a great chamber and crown, and nitpicking small parts fit up. Avoid the CHINA junk for sure. There are lots of not so valuable AR gimmicks out there set to grab your money.

BvT

klcarroll
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
The stresses on an AR lower receiver are of a very low order: ......An observation that is born out by the fact that they can get way with holding the whole contraption together with a couple of push-pins!

I have helped several friends put together ARs based on the Plum Crazy lower; ....And these weapons contine to run just fine even after ten to fifteeen thousand rounds.

That kind of performance from a complete lower that only cost $120 is A-OK in my book!

Kent

P.S. .........Now if someone can just point me towards a vendor who is making inexpensive (or at least reasonably priced) pistol caliber conversions for the AR, ......I'll be a truly "happy camper"!

KLC

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
KLC,

have you seen Lone Wolf Dist's lowers designed around using Glock Magazines yet? Use the Korean 33rd 9mm and you have a neat entry rifle that can interchange mags with your Glock handgun. Think about one in 357 Sig, that a mag swap could become a 9mm or 40 S&W.

regards,

Rich

one is on my Christmas list, in case Mamma is reading this...

newcastter
09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Its going to be a range toy and take it in the woods at my camp and have fun.
I have read nothing but good from people that own them, The only negative I hear is from people who don't even own them. I don't have a parts list yet but I plan on getting the lower and building up from there Definatly a A3 upper because I plan on putting a red dot on it definatly a free float hand gaurd and I don't really want to get to light of a barrel in case I want to really shoot alot, I plan on a 16" barrel so it doesn't get to front heavy as the last build I did with a bull barrel and that sucker is heavy. Thanks for the suggestions keep em coming

klcarroll
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
@ Newcaster

"He who dies with the most toys WINS!" ........The older I get, the more sense that statement makes!

@ Idaho Sharpshooter

I really like that! ....I think I'm going to have to buy one of those lowers!.

Have you done business with Lone Wolf??

kent

JAGGUY
09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
I have a Del Ton upper with a Plum Crazy lower. 1500 down the pipe with no problems at all.
Nothing wrong with the PC lower, I might not take it into battle but for any other use it works just fine.
And the trigger is much better than any other standard AR trigger I have used...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GWUISTER/PCARL.jpg

newcastter
09-27-2011, 08:27 PM
JAGGUY,
Do you know if the trigger assembly is poly or metal?
I plan on a complete build on the upper

newcastter
09-27-2011, 10:07 PM
KLC,
That looks good as I cast boolits for 9mm, whats the price tag on these?

JAGGUY
09-27-2011, 10:36 PM
JAGGUY,
Do you know if the trigger assembly is poly or metal?
I plan on a complete build on the upper

The FCG is all poly. People hear that and think it's garbage, mine shows no wear and the lock-time is amazingly fast...

newcastter
09-27-2011, 11:05 PM
I have heard the neg alot but not a single person own the lower and every one that owns it loves it so I will keep everyone posted I plan on ordering it tomorrow pics will follow if desired

P.K.
10-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I have heard the neg alot but not a single person own the lower and every one that owns it loves it so I will keep everyone posted I plan on ordering it tomorrow pics will follow if desired

Shotgun News gave it a glowing report with it's "Budget AR build." I have no problems considering one for my wife's AR. Go with it. If it works, don't "F" with it. ;-)