PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get My Head Around This

metweezer
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
OK this is in reference to semi's only, not revolvers. DA, SA, DAO, DA/SA. Can someone please explain this in the simplest terms the differences between the trigger actions? I thought that I understood this to an extent but there are certain web gun sellers that list a handgun as DAO or just DA but when I ask people who have the gun they say that is not the case. If you could dummy it down for me I would truly appreciate it. :killingpc
Thanks, Steve

hotwheelz
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
DA= double action this is when you pull the trigger it will cock and fire the gun
SA= you have to cock the gun before firing { most 1911's are single action only}
DAO= double action only { usually used to desribe semi-auto's that are double action only}
DA-SA= double action or single action but there will be a lot of gather up on the trigger for single action

OneBagNomad
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
In the context of semi-automatic firearms, DA describes, an action whose trigger both cocks and drops the hammer/striker. DAO is typically the same, but the hammer cannot be cocked for single-action firing. SA/SAO will not cock the hammer/striker, only drop it. DA/SA cocks the hammer if necessary and as the action cycles the hammer is cocked by the slide. Any following shots are fired in SA. Some handguns are available in several different configurations, H&K produces quite a few variants of their USP and HK45. Hope that helps.

Tom W.
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Well now wouldn't that make a DAO a SA? Considering that the thing can only be fire one way...

just sayin'....

Finster101
09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Well now wouldn't that make a DAO a SA? Considering that the thing can only be fire one way...

just sayin'....

No, since the only way to cock the hammar is by pulling the trigger. The keltec P3AT is a good example of DAO. 1911 SA only. Springfield XD is DA/SA

NoZombies
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM
The two actions in double action are the cocking of the hammer (or striker) and the release, whereas a SA the trigger performs only the action of releasing the hammer or striker.

andremajic
09-27-2011, 04:50 PM
No, since the only way to cock the hammar is by pulling the trigger. The keltec P3AT is a good example of DAO. 1911 SA only. Springfield XD is DA/SA

That used to be the case...

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=82

Double action 1911. I got a chance to check one out at their table at the expo a year or so ago. Pretty nice.

Andy.

MtGun44
09-27-2011, 11:55 PM
"DAO" is a bit inconsistent in the usage, really means "Trigger cocking only", where the
"single action" = thumb cocking, and "double action" part of a double action revolver is
the trigger cocking part, so the slang usage as "dbl action" = trigger cocking.

Bill

Groo
09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Groo here
Sa Single action as in in old colt army or 1911 is just that the hammer must be cocked
to fire [ either by thumb or slide]
Db means that you can cock the hammer [single] or use the trigger [ the other action]
DAO is trigger cocking ,you can't cock it before pulling the trigger...

Tom W.
10-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Yup. That's what I said... sorta...
My Blackhawk, my Security Six and the *** that I bought for my late wife, a Tarus PT22. I have to cock the Blackhawk,my Security Six I can cock with my thumb or just pull the trigger, and the *** will only fire by pulling the trigger for each shot.It has since left the stable , sold to a person that lives somewhere away from me...