PDA

View Full Version : Which is better rifle range lead? Or pistol range lead?

elano
09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Both are littered with bullets, which is better to pick from?

JSnover
09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Take it all. Any differences aren't worth worrying about.

btroj
09-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Get all of them. I don't think the difference is worth worrying over. I view range lead as range lead.

white eagle
09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
mix it up
oh man ...
beautiful !!!!

Baron von Trollwhack
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Better for what ? Picking?

Probably picking: not as deep, usually more, less junk.

BvT

garym1a2
09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Pistoel, you don't have to dig as deep.

Both are littered with bullets, which is better to pick from?

sargenv
09-26-2011, 07:57 PM
not to mention less velocity of the slug in question, and generally heavier bullets that don't obliterate themselves due to velocity... picking up 45 acp lead is likely easier than 308 and below rifle bullets.. and not a lot of ppl shoot anything much over 200 gr on the rifle side..

Oreo
09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
As someone who has done a lot of bermining lately... seriously, don't even waste your time on the rifle range unless you can see the lead easy. Where I shoot there isn't even any lead visible on the rifle range. It either all disintigrates the moment it hits the berm or it's real deep. Over on the pistol range I gathered a hundred pounds in a half hour with a plastic cat litter scoop just scraping the surface.

tomme boy
09-26-2011, 08:19 PM
If I find a rifle bullet, I know it has a steel jacket. Most of the time it also has a steel core and there is not much lead in it anyway. I do find more of the copper solid slugs on the rifle side. They add up fast for extra $ to pay for fuel and primers.

elano
09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Awesomw I never thought about a kitty scooper, that would be way easier!!!

evan price
09-27-2011, 02:23 AM
There's far more hardcast commercial boolits on the pistol side and they have a lot of antimony and tin in them. Plus the big slugs are usually right on the surface. Rifle slugs don't have much lead in them at all compared to the effort to get it out. I check the rifle berm once or twice a year and only bother picking up the big shotgun slugs and copper solids. There's too many steel core slugs to worry about. I would say I focus 90% of my berm mining on the pistol ranges.

Oreo
09-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Awesomw I never thought about a kitty scooper, that would be way easier!!!Works best on a real stinking hot day when there hasn't been any rain for a week or so and the dirt on the berm is bone dry. You might need a steel garden trowel or a claw-hammer to break up the compacted dirt but once it's lose the dry dirt sifts really easy. Any moisture at all and it clumps too much. That's when I take a bucket of water with me and use the scoop to sift half submerged in the bucket of water. The water loosens the clumped dirt enough that it sinks to the bottom of the bucket leaving the bullets in the scoop. Still way more work then on a hot dry day though.