PDA

View Full Version : using a sizer die to resize top half after loading

tackstrp
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I have found that useing the sizer die, remover punch, adjusted to just top half of a 380 loaded round will correct problems. Often, after putting in a cast bulliet and crimping, the round will not properlly seat. I alsow use the lee bludge buster and check every round for stretched

Seems like a reasonable fix

geargnasher
09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
So, how much does this swage the boolit down? Is it going to be under groove diameter now and lead the bore?

Gear

deltaenterprizes
09-26-2011, 01:18 PM
That is what a taper crimp die is made to do but only the mouth of the case.

Larry Gibson
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I do the same except I use other dies; 6.5x55 FL die to taper crimp 45 ACP for example. If done just enough to just allow proper seating there isn't any problem. I've done the same with a couple other cartridges.

Better solution is to minimalysize the case and use a seating stem that fits the bullet nose so the rounds are straight to begin with. With tapered cases that is easily done but with straight walled cases, especially with carbide sizers, it is difficult. Some solutions can be found though if one thinks them through or asks here for help.

Many here don't lke the Lee Factory Crimp hand gun die but I've found it works well unless an oversize bullet is used. Many times it is the over size bullet that causes the problem; like a .358 sized bullet in a .380 intended for .355/.356 sized bullets.

Larry Gibson

tackstrp
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
gear masher. for a 380 speed. leading should not be a problem with hard cast bullets, meed to work up from the 3 yard target to the 1000 yards.:) Commeral cast bullets seem to be over sized. Meister i think is the brand name. look like the lube was applied by finger tip . would not recommed that brand

pdawg_shooter
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Larry nailed it. the FCD works great IF used correctly. All my 45ACP rounds are treated this way and I have NO failure to feed or chamber in 4 different 45s.

geargnasher
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
gear masher. for a 380 speed. leading should not be a problem with hard cast bullets...

I think you have some paradigms wrong, but shoot them and see.

Gear

williamwaco
09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I have used this technique with the .38-55 with great success.

I set the die so that the completely loaded cartridge enters the die only far enough to reduce the mouth diameter by .001 to .0015

This works better than a regular crimping die in loads for which I want an OAL that results in no crimping groove under the mouth of the case. ( Usually, the case of the mouth is over the second driving band. )

dragonrider
09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I am not sure I understand your technique, I think you are saying that your are resizing the top of the boolit and not the case at all, becase the case won't go into the die not the sizing part any way, wait a moment, let me think this through........................the case may start into the taper at the top of the die, (by the way who'se size die are you using???) and it may give you a taper crimp but the crimp will be shorter than that of a normal taper crimp die. I will have to look at this beffore deciding what to answer. Soon as the hottub shuts off I will go and check.