PDA

View Full Version : When does 45/425/1750 overtake 73/775/1325?

Naphtali
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Moderator:

I suspect this thread may be more appropriate in a different forum? Please move it if you believe that it should be elsewhere.
My title is not as accurate as one might anticipate. I have created this thread because I am building a single barrel muzzleloading rifle for "long range" hunting, long range for me and the rifle being 165 yards maximum.

I have been shooting a .731-inch (front driving band) 775-grain [short] cast 30:1 bullet in my .72-caliber muzzleloading double rifle. Regulating barrels to a six-inch both-barrel two-shot group at 100 yards causes powder charge to be 120 grains in one barrel and 135 grains of Goex FFg in the other. Charges are ignited by CCI #11 Magnum caps. Muzzle velocities are, give or take, 1325 fps. . . . And yes, recoil is severe.

I am confident that modest-range destructiveness - that is, the ability of a single shot piercing both lungs without hitting scapulae or vertebrae to down [nearly] immediately any animal in Montana - is significantly greater than my from hard cast LFN-GC 45/425/1750, a smokeless powder load, shot from my 45-70. . . . BUT at what distance does the 45-70's significantly greater velocity and sectional density overtake my 72's performance? OR will my .72-caliber bullet maintain its advantage past my 165-yard self-imposed shooting limit? Is there available any mathematical formula to aid in this evaluation?
MY TEST
I shot two sets of three bullets at 15 yards into [the same] dry Encyclopedias duct taped together. Length of each book set was 18 inches. Test consisted of shots at two sets of test media for each bullet. The double rifle shot one bullet bullet from each barrel to account for its two bullets. Each set of books was large enough to allow three shots to be far enough apart to not contaminate any other test shot.

1. 45-70 bullet air dropped, Brinnell 16, penetrated about six inches. Peripheral damage area was about two inches in diameter surrounding the hole with little damage beyond bullet's penetration. The bullet did not expand significantly and fragmented with three small pieces separating from the main projectile. Penetration was straight.

2. 45-70 bullet air dropped then heat treated, Brinnell 28, penetrated about 3.75 inches, shattering into many small fragments. Peripheral damage area was about two inches in diameter surrounding the hole with little damage beyond bullet's penetration. Penetration was straight.

3. .72-caliber bullet penetrated slightly deeper than #2, about four inches. Bullet separated into two pieces, about three fourths-one-fourth in terms of weight per piece. Bullet nose flattened on itself to 1.25 inches on the larger piece. Peripheral damage was five inches in diameter. This "destruction" appeared to be significantly more disruptive - that is, damaged material surrounding the hole was a mess - including additionally about two inches beyond or forward being crushed. Penetration was straight.

Lead pot
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM
For your experiments with the .45-70 try this you might be surprised in the results.

Cast a 1/20 T/L bullet and slow it down to 1150 fps and test the penetration and post on this thread the results please.

Lp.

Chicken Thief
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
All else being equal the 45 will penetrate way deeper!

First the .72 cal
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/72775grain.jpg

Then the .45 cal
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/45425grain.jpg

Energy is equal at 230 yds but due to a way smaller frontal area the 45 will penetrate further. So until then shot placement might/will favor the big slug.

PS the BC for both is a qualified WAG!

Naphtali
09-26-2011, 02:18 PM
All else being equal the 45 will penetrate way deeper!

First the .72 cal
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/72775grain.jpg

Then the .45 cal
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/45425grain.jpg

Energy is equal at 230 yds but due to a way smaller frontal area the 45 will penetrate further. So until then shot placement might/will favor the big slug.

PS the BC for both is a qualified WAG!It's going to take me a while to understand the formula and results, but I think you responded to my query beautifully.

Many thanks.

09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Kinetic energy/ballistic path/velocity, etc. are pretty straight forward for predicting results as a bullet passes through a nice uniform medium like air as CT as shown with the calculator. The penetration issue is a different kettle of fish. Also, as has been posted, LP gives a very easy experiment to try with penetration.

The problem with the concept of kinetic energy is that it is not intuitive by nature. The higher the kinetic energy the greater the propensity for less penetration. The lower the kinetic energy the lower the propensity for less penetration. Not a hard and fast rule but one worth considering.

Chicken Thief
09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Try to smash your flat hand into some mud, then with the same force use one finger. Simplified they deliver the same force to the mud but the one with the lesser frontal area will penetrate way further.

Then again given enough force a slap on the chin will outdo a single knuckle hit.

You get the drift?

Ie: Up close the .72 will deliver a smack that will down anything with a decent acurate hit.
It will not penetrate but it's big a$$ wound channel will outperform a .45 size hole through.
At longer distances a deep penentrating hole from the .45 is more desireable than a "skin" wound by the .72.

Did i make myself clearer this time?

Naphtali
09-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I just returned from the range. Our final shots were 30-06 shooting Barnes Triple Shock bullets @ 2900 fps into my dry Encyclopedia medium. The purpose for this test was to provide a meaningful baseline from which to evaluate effectiveness of 45-70 bullets and .72-caliber conical bullet.

Range for this test was 15 yards, the same as my first series. Yeah, I know this does not furnish anything meaningful at 100-150 yard impact. But it's a start, and I hope to repeat tests at the longer ranges before hunting season.
My shooting/hunting partner Bob expected complete penetration of 24 inches of Encyclopedias bound with duct tape. I expected about half that - 12 inches, considerably more than any of the cast bullets.

The Triple Shock penetrated about 6.5 inches, slightly deeper than the air dropped 45/425/1750. The bullet lost one of its four petals. Peripheral damage was about 1.00 inch in diameter. Damage beyond bullet's penetration was about .75 inch and not severe in appearance. The Triple Shock looked a great deal like a Nosler Partition of the same weight looks - that is, not much expansion and about half the bullet's length gone. One thing I should have expected, but did not, is that there was essentially no momentum movement from impact.
At least at close range, the .72-caliber's 775-grain bullet cast at 30-to-1 would be satisfactory insurance for essentially any soft-skinned dangerous game. If I get ambitious, I'll cast as hard as 10-to-1 to discover whether the bullet would have greater penetration than the Triple Shock. I would not alloy with arsenic-antimony because dropped bullet diameter will grow too much for loading.

Alan
10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Basically, the problem with the .72 is HITTING anything. Look at the drop tables. All the way from 55 to 143 yards you are having to compensate for OVER 8" of drop. Cast a PRB from WW, and run the test for penetration an drop. It will shoot much, much flatter to 120 yards or so, and I think you will be surprised at the penetration. 160-170 grains of FF should give less recoil with it than the conical load you are using, and you won't recover a ball from a north american animal - ever.