PDA

View Full Version : Ready to try swaging

khamill2000
09-26-2011, 09:16 AM
I have made the decision to try my hand at swaging. I want to make the 224 bullets from rimfire jackets and cast lead. I have a RCBS JR3 press that I plan to use for this and am looking at purchasing this die set.

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CBST&Product_Code=KIT-224R&Category_Code=RDIES

Would like your opinions on my plans since I am a noob. Thanks in advance.

DukeInFlorida
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I would suggest that you CALL Corbin, and confirm that they actually have this set in stock BEFORE purchasing. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy with the longggggggggggggg wait for them to ship.

MIBULLETS
09-26-2011, 07:23 PM
That set will make good bullets. I used to own one before I upgraded to Corbin's S Press and dies.

Utah Shooter
09-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah I would call and those are what I use as well. Very nice projectiles.

Grandpas50AE
09-29-2011, 09:16 AM
That kit will make very nice bullets, it was what I started with several years ago if you add the core swage die to it. The core swage die uniforms the cores, and is essential in my opinion if you want consistent bullets. Since then, I have upgraded to the MegaMite press and H series dies, but the bullets are not any better than the ones I made on the reloading press. I think you will be very happy with that kit.

MIBULLETS
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
I second Grandpas50AEs recomendation of a core swage die!

Utah Shooter
09-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I have a buddy that can make one of those for you if you would like.

khamill2000
10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Ordered the dies last week. Some how got mixed up and only got the jacket maker kit ordered, not the bullet maker kit. Dave Corbin just called me and is sending out the rest today and hopefully I will be making bullets this weekend.

BTW- It's nice to talk with the actual man in charge

Utah Shooter
10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I am suprised it is getting to you that quick. But good for you. Have fun. It is a blast.

khamill2000
10-12-2011, 05:59 AM
I got the jacket maker yesterday and now I have a few questions. I am using a big RCBS press (original Rockchucker?) and in order to get enough leverage, the die is only screwed in about 5 turns. Does this sound right? Should I look for a press with a larger opening? Also, the instructions say to anneal after I make jackets. Is that the way you guys do it?
Thanks

Grandpas50AE
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Hopefully someone will tell you more confidently, because my memory is a bit faded on how far in I use to set the jacket die in the RCBS press. I went to the Mighty Mite long ago when I bent the RCBS ram face trying to make some long full jacketed 30 cal. pills. I only had that a few years before going to the Mega Mite for doing the .50 cal pistol bullets, and that was back in the mid-90's.
As far as annealing, it is probably a good idea since the .22lr cases are already work-hardened by the time you draw the rim out of them. I did that with all of mine.

MIBULLETS
10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
A couple of turns is about right in my press too. You want to adjust the die down so that the jacket just pops out of the reduced part of the die, anymore is just making it harder on your arm.

n.h.schmidt
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi
I have have the set for a long time and made thousands. I always anealed first . Cleaned second,derimed third. I used a Rock chucker press. I set the die to just iron out the rim at the top of the stroke. The case would say in the die as I lowered the ram. Then I would put another case on the the punch and raise the ram. The new case would push the previous case the rest of the way through and be rerimed in turn. Repeat as you want. This does work and is easy on you and the press. My Corbin rerimming die wore out rather quickly and the punch did too.
I remade both and had much better results. The punch was way too soft and wore into a strange shape. I made another one out of tool steel and hardened it .
I wonder if corbin still offers the power ejector for this set anymore. I bought one and thought it the best thing going for ejecting the seated core jackets and bullets from the final die.
n.h.schmidt

khamill2000
10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Got the rest of the set on Saturday. Everything worked perfectly and I got to make a few bullets. Still having issues with the derim die though. I am pretty sure that it's the press causing problems so a friend has loaned me his big 50 BMG press with the bigger opening and adjustable arm. I will give that a shot and report back. I also got a self cleaning oven for annealing but won't have it hooked up for another week or two.

SSGOldfart
10-17-2011, 03:12 PM
got any pictures??

MIBULLETS
10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Some people anneal the cases first but my Corbin de-riming die does not like it like that. I must de-rim first then anneal. If I don't the force to de-rim goes way up and I pop a lot of the case heads off.

You didn't state exactly what problems with de-riming you are having. This was the only one I faced, other than wearing the punches out.

khamill2000
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
got any pictures??

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/khamill001/IMAG0287.jpg

The brass cases weren't annealed so there is some folding.

I think I've got all of the problems worked out. Switched over to the Lee Classic Cast for the larger opening and the adjustable arm. That solved about 80% of the problem. Stopped using 10w-30 and started using the swage lube I got from Corbin and now it seems to work fine. No more ripping the heads off cases and much less effort.

Utah Shooter
10-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Very nice. If you have a D.I. in your area go and look for a porcelain dish of sorts so you can anneal them in your oven. I was able to find one for a dollar that works great. To save the life of the dies and barrel you will want them annealed

Hope the de rim die issue is solved too. Again, give me a hollar if you would like to.

khamill2000
10-18-2011, 05:50 AM
D.i. ? Not sure what that is. I picked up a stainless collander to do the annealing. Also have lots of old cookie sheets. Would the porcelain dish be better?

alfloyd
10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
"D.I."

Here in Utah, we have a store that recycles things ran by the Morman church. It is called Deseret Industries, thus D.I.
It is very much like the Salvation Army stores.

Hope this clears up and helps.

Lafaun

khamill2000
10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Yes. We have Salvation Army, D.A.V. (Disabled American Veterans), and Goodwill.

khamill2000
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Thinking about trying one of these to close the tip up further. Anybody have any experience/thoughts?
http://www.bullettipping.com/bullettippingdie_detail.asp

SSGOldfart
10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
have you test fired any yet??

khamill2000
10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
No. This reloading/swaging has started to take too much room so I took an area of my shop about 20'x25' and have been making it into a dedicated reloading/swaging area. Hopefully this room will be done within 2 weeks. If I get a chance tonight I'll load them up and try them out though.

rugerglocker
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
ya I'm pretty sure people that don't live in UT have no idea what a D.I. is, at least I didn't until I moved here.

Utah Shooter
10-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks ALF. I have lived in Utah my whole life. Not thinking of it not being in others states.

No. This reloading/swaging has started to take too much room so I took an area of my shop about 20'x25' and have been making it into a dedicated reloading/swaging area. Hopefully this room will be done within 2 weeks. If I get a chance tonight I'll load them up and try them out though.

I would like to see how they turn out on paper at 100.