PDA

View Full Version : Too fat to size (452)

scarter
09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Some of my newly cast bullets (45ACP) are too fat to pass through the Lee sizing die. I use the Lee 6 cav 200 grain mold. Most size easily and nicely. One out of 5 or 6 gets stuck and i have to tap it back down and out. Big pain. Why are 20% of my bullets too fat to size? Thanks.

btroj
09-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Measure the fat ones and see if your mould has a large cavity in it. Also look at your mould to see if you has some lead or something on one of the blocks that is holding the mould slightly open as this will cause fat bullets too. I have also found that some of my Lee 6 cav moulds need to have one of the alignment pins tapped back in. This also causes fat bullets.
Take your mound, handles off, and see if the blocks fit tight together or if the rock a bit. Hold it up to a light- can you see light between the blocks?
I also find it helps to lightly lube a bullet every so often when using the Lee sizers. Just a thin film of sizing lube, bullet lube, something to help them thru. Using this method I can size down 3 to 5 thousandths without too much trouble using my Lee push thru sizer.

SharpsShooter
09-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Sounds like you have one cavity that is over size or the mold is not closing entirely one one end making that end cavity drop a larger diameter.

Cast a full block and drop them carefully on a folded towel. Let them cool as it is easier on the fingers when you measure them to find which cavity is oversize. Check the block faces for lead smears or other debris that might prevent full closure.

Tip- spray some case lube or even soapy water (just a light misting) on your castings before sizing. Makes it a lot smoother and you don't rip the press off the bench.

SS

btroj, we must have been typing at the same time :D

scarter
09-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Btroj and Sharpshooter, I took your advice and it worked out well. First i cleaned my mold. I found half a dozen little teeny tiny lead spots on the interior plates that i picked off. these were probably the result of sloppy work the last time. Then i cast a dozen cycles and separated the product of each cavity for measurement. They all measured 453-455 except cavity four measured 452 flat. Bottom line, they all flew through the sizer. What an improvement!! thanks to you both for your wise counsel. Scarter

btroj
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Not so much wise counsel as the voice of experience. Been there, done that.

Cast for long enough and you too will have seen most of the common problems that can occur.

Glad you got it worked out.

Brad