PDA

View Full Version : Trigger finger muscle aches

taminsong
09-26-2011, 05:49 AM
I've been joining some local gunclub IPSC sanctioned matches for several months now, but lately I found out that I cannot finished a 32round course without getting my muscle ( the one that connects with my trigger finger) near my elbow aches.

I'm using my 6"GP100 and shooting 38specials rounds, but shooting fast double taps with my revo can be done maybe 2 or 3 speed reloads and after that my trigger finger gets heavy and its like a slow motion.

Last February, my time for the long course (32rds) was 54 seconds, and no pain. Last Saturday it was 59.89 and I felt the pain and was shooting so slow, I really noticed it but the result was nice because I can focus well on the front sight! My score was 30 A and 2 C.

The next day I told my wife about it and she says try it again if you can still feel the pain. I tried it, dry shoot my revo pulling the trigger very fast and I can only make it after 14th squeeze and the pain rise.

My only modification with my revo is that I replace the hammer spring with wolfs 10lb spring.

Do I need to exercise my muscle? I'm shooting right hand and I do a lot of reloading using my right hand.

09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
I had a issue with my tendons near the elbow. The Doc gave me one of those black Velcro bands to wear around the problem area. It helped.

andremajic
09-26-2011, 08:56 AM
It sounds like you have tendonitis. It usually occurs from overuse of the area involved without enough recovery time.

Take some motrin or a NSAID (non-steroidal anti inflammatory) or aspirin. That will help with the irritation and lessen the pain. Even after tha pain goes away you have to keep taking the NSAID to keep it from inflaming again later.

Use this acronym for reference to strains, sprains, and tendonitis; RICE
Rest; Nothing sore gets better without rest.
Ice; Use cold compresses on the area to help reduce inflammation and pain.
Compress; an ACE wrap or neoprene sleeve wrapped around the area helps compress the site, reduces swelling and reduces pain.
Elevate; when resting keep the limb resting over your heart.

Andy

bobthenailer
09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Possibley installing a wolff or wilson reduced power spring kit in your ruger may help ! i have done this spring change to every brand revolver that ive owned in the past 20+ years . and have never had any problems with setting off primers even magnum in double action mode. Before the spring kits were avaliabe we modfied the springs ourselves by removing metal from the spring ! but never cutting coils off to shorten the spring length .

Hammerhead
09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I had a issue with my tendons near the elbow. The Doc gave me one of those black Velcro bands to wear around the problem area. It helped.
+1. Probably simple tendonitis. No need to go to the Doc though, just buy one at the drug store.

subsonic
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Take some advil and rest it.

taminsong
09-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the inputs. I thought my double action trigger was heavy that's why I got the pains.
Will go to the drugstore and look for that velcro bands.

mongo
09-27-2011, 01:04 AM
I shoot once a week but spend the day shooting, I take a couple aleve before heading out, Bad back, have trouble standing but the NSAID's help out a lot.

kelbro
09-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Fresh pineapple is good for inflammation. Cold packs too.

It needs to rest to heal. Give it 2-3 weeks. Then start to work on your grip with a handball. Focus on the fingers that are hurting. Squeeze the ball every other day for X repetitions where X is equal to the rounds you fire in a match + 10%.

If you just mask it with pain relievers, it will not get better. The straps help but only on the symptom. They do not take care of the problem.

andremajic
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
What kelbro said with a caveat;

NSAIDs with rest is more effective than just rest. Reducing inflammation improves the healing time better than without taking anything.