PDA

View Full Version : Bit my toungh the first time.

P.K.
09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm done. I have hated this dog from the time we got married. A Spitz. Was mistreated. Has only liked the child from the first get togeather and groweled at mine. I have let it go 3 years and this *** growels at my 8 m/o daughter? DONE This *** needs to be a bait in a coy-dog or bear field.

My 8m/o just started crawling and the dog charged her for going near her food. Not taking a chance. Dog thinks it's a heavy weight? No worries, time to stake it out....

P.K.
09-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Cought a .22 in the ear....good end.

Blammer
09-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Can't blame you, I woulda done the same thing.

Family first.

plmitch
09-26-2011, 12:12 AM
right there with you on that, wouldn't think twice about it.

Bret4207
09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
10-4. I've seen soooo many people make excuses for the dog or cat. Cranial/rectal inversion.

Hickory
09-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Watch what you say here.
You could end up on someones ignore list
and hated by many for giving a good solution the a bad problem.

SharpsShooter
09-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes sir! Any dog that even implies it is gonna mess with my kids is a dead dog walking.

SS

Mumblypeg
09-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey Blammer, didn't you just get your first dog? I hope that dog knows who he's dealing with and stays in line..But for real... I love my animals and do any reasonable thing for them. But some are just...well should we say, not up to par... I had to take a couple to the gully over the years. Dreaded doing it but after it was done I realized I should have done it sooner. Everything dies... it's just a matter of when. Kinda like people... somethings just need killin.:coffeecom

firefly1957
09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
P.K. I do not know if it was such a good idea to post it the three S rule may have been best policy I hope everything turns out OK and I do agree with your action I would have done the same!

Bret "Cranial/rectal inversion." Did you mean inversion or insertion as in head up the***?

oneokie
09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Bret "Cranial/rectal inversion." Did you mean inversion or insertion as in head up the***?

In the context of the afore mentioned situation, I think that they mean the same thing.

birdadly
09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
I understand why you wanted to do what you did, and I'm usually a person that just moves onto the next thread when I don't agree with someone, but I have to ask why taking the dog to some place like a Humane Society wouldn't be the first choice in this situation? I will assume it's just 'the way it's done' in certain parts, but am just curious. -Brad

9.3X62AL
09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Birdadly.....Humane Society is one option, but my own thoughts--given the circumstances laid out by P.K.--that dog was a menace to small children, and I couldn't have it on my conscience to take such a dog to a shelter and have it be adopted into another situation with kids. I'm not fond of destroying petstock, but under these circumstances it seems to be the far lesser of two ugly choices.

Harter66
09-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Brad,

Having gobs of dog expirence, a dog that will challege a child/puppy to charge confrontation will eventually bite someone and/or injure badly another dog or kid. Sometimes an aggressive dog like the 1 discribed will come around. At 3-4 yrs old finding that person that the dog fits is rare, often their put to sleep anyway.

I know a fellow that had 1 like that tradgic stray bb over quail was the story I think........

firefly1957
09-26-2011, 11:04 AM
+ 1 on 9.3X62AL thought I have know people who rescued dogs only to either be injured by them or have to put them down anyway. I do not agree with so many that think it is better to have the vet give a shot to the animal then a "PROPERLY" placed bullet to the head. The dog still knows it is his time when he is given the shot. My little buddy ( a blonde Corgi) got into it bad with a quill pig and at the vet I held him while he got a shot to put him out while they operated. He did not mind the shot but you should have seen the look he gave me when his legs gave out he fought going under all the way and knew something bad was happening. The vet removed 131 quills and had to repair his gums were the quills had stapled his cheek to them. He recovered fine but still thought he could kill a porcupine.

Blammer
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
yes our family just got it's first dog. We had the luxury of "trying out" a bunch of dogs and checking out the history of the dogs we were looking at. Some were rescues, that were in a "foster" home, just not at the pound all the time and some other organizations that can 'screen' the dogs that are going out for adoption.

Yes, if this dog ever turns or bites one of my kids, me or my wife, it will be delt with sumarily and I've explained it to the whole family in small words and short sentences what to expect.

We got an 8month old pup, so there is a lot to be said for starting with a young dog that is introduced to our family, not the other way around.

Mk42gunner
09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
My Dad's policy was that a dog that bit a grownup, well you look at what happened and then made the decision. However if a dog bit a kid, or even acted like it would, the decision had already been made.

This policy has served me well over the years, although none of my dogs have bitten anybody.

I have always thought that if a dog bites someone to protect a child the dog deserves a steak.

Robert

hiram1
09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
waste his buns

P.K.
09-26-2011, 10:39 PM
My Dad's policy was that a dog that bit a grownup, well you look at what happened and then made the decision. However if a dog bit a kid, or even acted like it would, the decision had already been made.

This policy has served me well over the years, although none of my dogs have bitten anybody.

I have always thought that if a dog bites someone to protect a child the dog deserves a steak.

Robert

Maybe you misunderstood, the dog went at my child because of the "steak." I.E. Bullet in the ear.

P.K.
09-26-2011, 10:49 PM
I understand why you wanted to do what you did, and I'm usually a person that just moves onto the next thread when I don't agree with someone, but I have to ask why taking the dog to some place like a Humane Society wouldn't be the first choice in this situation? I will assume it's just 'the way it's done' in certain parts, but am just curious. -Brad

When you have an already taxed Humane soc. with others like horses and cattle, a dog or a cat is going to languish and be put down anyway. Plus the better half had this *** since a pup. It charged twice. Leaving it in a pound or fostering was NOT an option. I told her, twice, I will not subject my child to surgury due to a sack of hair getting worked up over a bowl of food. If it ever connected I'd be regretting it every day of my life. As it is, I'll sleep well tonight.

Birdadly.....Humane Society is one option, but my own thoughts--given the circumstances laid out by P.K.--that dog was a menace to small children, and I couldn't have it on my conscience to take such a dog to a shelter and have it be adopted into another situation with kids. I'm not fond of destroying petstock, but under these circumstances it seems to be the far lesser of two ugly choices.

TY sir and the others who understand the situation.

thx997303
09-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I have made the same decision.

If my dog bites one of my kids, it's over.

P.K.
09-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Watch what you say here.
You could end up on someones ignore list
and hated by many for giving a good solution the a bad problem.

Sir,

Thanks for your input. However, not worried a bit. I have lived my life by certain terms. They have yet to fail me.

If one decides they do not agree, that is their decision. I made the right one period. That away lays the road. Please don't return.

JSnover
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
My ex just got a dog from a shelter and was told if it bites and you return it, they will put it down. They don't need problems anymore than we do and they can't pass them along to someone else. I have shot two family pets and had one euthanized. If you own it, your responsibility is to use a humane method and do it for the right reason.

geargnasher
09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
My take on it is that a dog, especially a family pet, ABSOLUTELY MUST KNOW AND RESPECT WHO ARE THE MASTERS, and who is the dog. That doesn't mean beat your dog, it means teach your dog. If they don't get it, they're gone. If they hurt kids, they're dead.

I have scars on both hands, be glad to post pics, where my Dad's rescued mutt bit me on several occasions when I reached to pet him. Turns out he had an aversion to kids, particularly ones wearing cowboy boots. Every time I wore them around him I got bitten, but the connection was made later. It was always assumed to be my fault, but he bit my grandfather in the same way. Never figured out why we kept him except he was so friendly 98% of the time. After many years he finally got killed by a neighbor's pit in a fight over a bitch in heat. I should have shot him myself much sooner. I also have a 2" scar through my left eybrow from a half-grown Collie my dad got for me when I was five. I had tried to pet him while he was eating, I didn't know any better. Could have lost my eye, he turned around, lunged up and snapped in a flash and went back to eating. Dad did shoot that one, immediately. At my own house I only keep cats, none of them have ever bitten me other than play bites when we play "rough". No harm done.

Gear

P.K.
09-26-2011, 11:38 PM
At my own house I only keep cats, none of them have ever bitten me other than play bites when we play "rough". No harm done.

Gear

AND................you have a Mouse as your Avatar....That has to be one hell of a story!

geargnasher
09-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Actually, that's a fancy hooded rat, his name was Fudgie, adn he was only a few weeks old in the pic. I left that part out, but we do keep rats too, in fact I just built a maple casket and buried one of my favorites today after work, he was a black Dumbo and had been suffering a typical old-age fate of renal failure for about a week. Little buggars only live about three years even with proper diets and the best of care, but make great pets provided you can deal with losing them after a short time. Domestic rats are tame by nature, totally handle-able, and really have personalities, unlike mice, hamsters, and guinea pigs. Imagine a ferret and take away the stink and the bad attitude, you have a rat.

Gear

thx997303
09-27-2011, 12:05 AM
My wife loves rats. They sure can be good pets.

CLAYPOOL
09-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Had a Cocker bite my son in the face when he was little...After the Qartin (sp) 10 days..I didn't mind a bit..

nanuk
09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
our humane society won't take a pet

so you have to lie and say it was a stray

a shame

oldgeezershooter
09-27-2011, 12:22 AM
I have always had Labs and never had any issues.My Great-Grands came up for a visit and the dogs had never seen them before.

Bret4207
09-27-2011, 07:16 AM
P.K. I do not know if it was such a good idea to post it the three S rule may have been best policy I hope everything turns out OK and I do agree with your action I would have done the same!

Either way works for me.

Bret4207
09-27-2011, 07:22 AM

The Humane Society or it's various imitators, in this area at least, get's a lot of gov't funding. Every dog/cat taken there is a money loss for them and another tick in the column that "needs" gov't (tax payer) funding. (Let's also not forget the ASPCA and Humane Society are both rabidly anti-hunting/trapping) IMO it's far better, though illegal in my state, for the owner to put his own problems down. Why pass on to your neighbors your expenses? Oh, I keep forgetting, that's the new American way....

300winmag
09-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Cought a .22 in the ear....good end.
There is times when a man has to do, what he has to do.

WILCO
09-27-2011, 08:26 AM
There is times when a man has to do, what he has to do.

I agree. I just wouldn't have posted it on the net. Too many kooks and crazies out there looking to nark. I remember a story about a fella who was a crippled and broke a stick on a hog's back. Some folks got their panties in a bunch over that one.......[smilie=s:

Char-Gar
09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
I would agree that a dog that is aggressive toward a child is a very grave problem. Having been around dogs and children, I have also noticed that some children pester a dog until it snaps to defend itself against the child. Now you have a child problem and not a dog problem.

Nobody should keep an aggressive dog around who could injury the child, but if the child is the cause of the problem, the situation needs another looked at and another solution considered.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I have always had Labs and never had any issues.My Great-Grands came up for a visit and the dogs had never seen them before.

+1 on the labs best dang dogs there is

Char-Gar
09-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Labs are indeed the best matured dogs I have run across, but a little too big for my taste.

Fishman
09-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Actually, that's a fancy hooded rat, his name was Fudgie, adn he was only a few weeks old in the pic. I left that part out, but we do keep rats too, in fact I just built a maple casket and buried one of my favorites today after work, he was a black Dumbo and had been suffering a typical old-age fate of renal failure for about a week. Little buggars only live about three years even with proper diets and the best of care, but make great pets provided you can deal with losing them after a short time. Domestic rats are tame by nature, totally handle-able, and really have personalities, unlike mice, hamsters, and guinea pigs. Imagine a ferret and take away the stink and the bad attitude, you have a rat.

Gear

I really had no idea. Fascinating. I presume you have to keep them in a cage and let them out while supervised (and the cats are away?)

JT

oneokie
09-27-2011, 02:04 PM
My wife and kids have rats and cats. The older cats ignore or run from the rats when they are out of their cage. The new kitten is fascinated, but leery.

Springfield
09-27-2011, 02:54 PM
We have 5 cats, 4 hamsters and a dog(beagle). Laziest dog I have ever owned but she loves the kids, thinks she is one. Barks at everyone when they come to the door, but when I open the door she just smells them looking for snacks. That's OK, I wanted a watch dog, not an attack dog. We take her to the park and just let her roam, she let's the other kids pet her but mostly just ignores them. Can't take her to the doggie park, she doesn't like dogs. Twice other rambunctious dogs nipped her on the ears, so she avoids other dogs. Cats don't bother her though, she'll walk right up to them and say hi. 4 of the 5 cats just ignore the hamsters, but one is always looking at them like they are a snack, so we have to lock her out when the hamsters are playing with the kids.

geargnasher
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I really had no idea. Fascinating. I presume you have to keep them in a cage and let them out while supervised (and the cats are away?)

JT

Exactly.

Gear

Mk42gunner
09-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mk42gunner

Robert

Maybe you misunderstood, the dog went at my child because of the "steak." I.E. Bullet in the ear.

No Sir, I understood perfectly. The sentence that you highlighted was intended to be an additional thought. A just in case scenario where the dog protects my kid.

I do believe that most good dogs have better situational awareness than many people. For example:

One time we were coming home on leave and I needed to take a short rest from driving. We had pulled into one of the first places on the west side of Salt Lake City on I-80. It looked like a decent place, but Ginger started growling and looking around as soon as I shut the truck off. It was like she was saying "Hey Boss, this isn't a good place to stop". So I got on the road for a few more miles, as soon as we were underway, she calmed right down.

While I don't know that anything would have happened, why take the chance?

Robert

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-28-2011, 07:46 PM

our humane society doesn't take surrenders any more they are were over run with dogs , and cats they have had some dogs for 2-3 years , it has turned into a place for dogs and cats to go wait to die naturally

i was live trapping cats and sending them to the humane society last winter when several houses around us went to foreclosure and the cats were left with the houses , it wasn't long before they were roaming every were , and in my trash

after 5 in a weeks time they told me they would no longer take them , and the cop who transported them to the humane society said perhaps i could find something else to do with them , haven't trapped any more since

firefly1957
09-29-2011, 07:59 AM
I have had the same problem at another home with feral cats in town, animal control told me if the cat could be rehabilitated (was calm and could be handled) they would take them in they will no longer do that now. They also said if the animal was not calm "do not bring it in and we do not want to hear what you do with it" SSS was implied but not spoken.
Last I heard in Michigan unowned cats are not protected by law but some agencies may write tickets for animal cruelty if you destroy one? but if you pay them to do it then it is OK.

Harter66
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I had a friend whom yrs ago had a cat problem like those above. Animal control provided traps and he called twice a day they'd come pick them up into the 3rd week the "regular guy" took some leave and a new girl came out. Read him the riot act about them having water and shade. He made some remark about 20 gallons in a 55 gallon drum the girl took all the traps and put a note on about no more traps to that address/owner. He says hotwires kept them out of the trailer skirts, bare footing to the mail box became an issue on wet days. City dweller he's better now.

crabo
09-29-2011, 10:21 PM
My BIL bought a house with his new wife in Tucson. They inherited a couple of cats. All of a sudden, the number grew to about 12 or 14. After his wife would leave for work, he would head to work and drop a couple of cats off at the SPCA. A couple of days later, he would do it again.

One day after the number finally got down to 3, he and his wife were walking in the neighborhood. A coyote came up out of a wash, and turned down the alley. His wife decided that the coyote must have been the cause of their cat numbers declining.

He wisely agreed and never told her the truth.

Monkymate
09-30-2011, 12:07 AM
We have a story from childhood that we tell about our Dad. We had a stray dog that was a pretty good dog that one day growled wrong at my little brother over food. Well my Dad went in and got the 9mm and had a treat in the other. Went out back and shot the dog who ran off......

Dog came back 2 days later. It had a clean through shot that missed anything vital. Dad gave it a second chance until it hamstrung a calf about a year later. When my Dad would tell the story he would always end it with....

"And he MINDED me after that!"

Being on a farm I learned that an animal that would harm other animals and couldn't be taught to protect the animals meant they were to be treated just like the coyotes and stray dogs.

gravel
10-01-2011, 03:09 AM
the three S rule (http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1104/shootshovelshutup.jpg)

Hometek
10-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Never understood what was Humane about the Humane Society. They support caging up animals before finally killing them. Stray dogs and cats (after determining that they aren't the neighbors) get a lead pill. The game bird population has been decimated country wide by feral cats.

I like my dog and all the dogs I've owned and have had great bonds with some of them but I love my kids. If dog acts hostile to kid. No brainer. No matter how much I like that dog.