PDA

View Full Version : Question on how to save a single image

firefly1957
09-25-2011, 11:26 PM
I wanted to post an avatar so I put my camera on a tripod and took a movie of firing my Model 29 . I have the perfect picture in the film but can not figure out how to save the frame I want? anyone here that can help it is a .mov file. I took six videos before I got two that worked for me.

I searched the internet for a method and they all required paying for a new or expensive upgrade I can play video in media player,real player or quicktime. In all I was not impressed with the fireball from the gun ended up using Winchester factory ammo as my reload with imr-4227 had hardly any visible flash! I did shoot at dusk to enhance flash.

JIMinPHX
09-26-2011, 01:05 AM
If you can play the video on your computer, then stop it at the frame you want, try holding down "Ctrl" while pushing "PrtSc". That should copy the image to the clip board. Then open a program like "Paint" that handles photos. I chose Paint, because it comes for free with most versions of Windows. Once Paint is open, click on "edit" at the top of the screen, then select "paste". The whole image of your desktop should appear as a picture. If you get a big black spot where your video should be, then your video player software is not compatible with this method. If you get this far & the picture looks good, let us know that you got that far, then we can talk about cropping the picture down to just the part that you want & saving it in a photo format.

tryNto
09-26-2011, 03:27 AM
a FREE easy to use Picture/Video viewer that I have been using for over 9 years.
IrfanView.
On the right side of the page, you will see "Download the current version".
Download the viewer and the plugins, install is easy.

http://www.irfanview.com/

firefly1957
09-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you for the help I was unable to save with "cntr"+ "prnt scr" and used the irfanveiw .com to save picture I do need to rework it a little as I need to remove white field around edges.

firefly1957
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
I have now corrected avatar may try a different load for 44 Mag. at a later date That one just did not have the FLASH i was expecting and my hunting load of IMR-4227 had almost no flash. I did have one problem with http://www.irfanview.com/ for some reason it gave me trouble stopping on clip I wanted "real player" did the same it was not a problem with three other programs??? but I could not save image with any of them.

I used to have a S&W model 28 that had a large cylinder gap and a very accurate load was a 110 gr bullet with AL-8 powder that thing would really throw a fireball even in daylight! But the 28 is not the "make my day gun" . I have been shooting mostly 45 acp lately and forgot just how much more destructive the "magnum" is it shot though my target which was over a foot thick of box elder wood good thing I had safe back ground behind that back stop!

oldgeezershooter
09-28-2011, 01:26 AM
You want "FLASH?" Try loading some Blue Dot.
And +1 on Irfanview.

firefly1957
09-29-2011, 07:46 AM
I may try some different loads later Bluedot and some OLD AL-8 will be tried I will use some 200 gr Speer Jacketed hollow points for bullets as I have a large amount of them and do not use them anymore. I am shooting cast lee 255 I found that on deer the Speer bullets will not expand because the hair fills the H.P. ? they work on other animals quite well ?

Cap'n Morgan
09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I did have one problem with http://www.irfanview.com/ for some reason it gave me trouble stopping on clip I wanted "real player" did the same it was not a problem with three other programs??? but I could not save image with any of them.

I find the program VLC MediaPlayer http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ the best viewer by far. It will show almost any bizarre codex you throw at it - and it will let you advance one frame at the time and save to a bitmap file.

firefly1957
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Two lap tops ago I used VLC player and liked it like you said it worked on everything. The problem I had was the computer was my daughter college lap top she left it on 24/7 on high speed lan line and shared illegal movies and music. Somewhere she picked up a virus that prevented all video programs from working and the only program that worked was VLC.