PDA

View Full Version : New gun fair results.

drklynoon
09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Friday night I bought a Taurus 441 .44 special 4". I know that taurus has a bad rep around here but I haven't run into these problems. Well took it to the range saturday with a box of factory winchester cowboy loads. I'll be casting my own in the coming weeks but I was not prepared for a new to me .44 special. Anyway the thing shot great. It looks like an inch at 15 seems possible. The factory loads performed rather admirably and had a little bark to them. When I got home and started cleaning strings of lead started coming out of her. lol I am not sure how the thing was staying acurate with that much lead in it but it did. I had fun shooting with the old man so it's all good. We have a 215 gr. lee SWC mold that I am going to try but I haven't figured out what direction I am going to go with mold and powder yet. I still have to check my bore and cylinder diameters before I buy a mold. If she is big which taurus's tend to be then no Lyman Molds for me.

bcp477
09-25-2011, 03:12 PM
OMG, you silly fool ! You didn't consult the know-it-all, Taurus hater, "S&W and Colt are always perfect" guys on this forum.....before spending money on that there fuuuren-made junk ???? !!!! How dare you !!! You ain't no Amuuurican, boy !!! :smile::smile::smile:

Of course, I was only kidding. I just HAD to say it, as a joke, before the haters jump all over you (and say the same things). Glad you had a pretty good outing with your new acquisition. My experience has been that, though they are never perfect (neither are ANY of the other makes, either), the Tauruses I have had contact with seem to be fine, in some cases after a small bit of tweaking. In many cases it is only a matter of break-in.

My 851 had a burr on the barrel crown (so I just cut a new crown).....and I replaced the hammer and trigger return springs with a lighter set. Nothing at all to get into a twist over. It shoots VERY well now. I even made my own laminated walnut stocks for the gun, to fit my arthritic hand (RA in my knuckles). I had no trouble finding an accurate cast boolit and load for the gun, either. I even have a recovered, bounce-back bullet (came back at me at the range - and I found it on the floor, behind my shooting station) - to prove that the rifling is concentric and even. So, I am very happy - especially as I only put $300 into the gun (more money for loading components). 1100 rounds and counting - it hasn't fallen apart yet !

I'm sure that someone will now swear that it will fall apart, or blow up in my hand, any second now......but, I'll just "believe it when I see it".

drklynoon
09-25-2011, 03:21 PM
It's kinda funny to me how things get started. Taurus might have had a run of junk come out of the factory for a year or something and thats all it takes. My dad has a .32 mag Taurus and that thing has the sweetest trigger of anything I or he owns and we both have some nice stuff. This one seems to function perfectly and the trigger is better than any Ruger i own but I do reaalize that the lock work isn't bulletproof so i won't be loading her to +p loads. If I wanted to do that then I would have got the redhawk next to it for 75 gators more. My dad had a .38 bounce back and hit him in the foot one time when he was standing behind a shooter, he still has it lol. RA is no good I get minor joint discomfort after a day of shooting but I couldn't manage having full own Arthritis and stay shooting. You are definatly a trooper.

NickSS
09-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I have several Taurus hand guns both semi auto and revolvers (8 total) and have not had problems except for hard trigger pulls on DA revolvers that were easy to fix with a new spring. My latest one was the exception. I bought a 992 22RF/22Mag Tracker and it had a problem from the day I took it to the range for its first outing. The cylinder locking bolt did not always rise up and lock the cylinder into plade. So I called Taurus bright and early Monday morning and told them about my problem. The guy I talked to said that because it was a new gun with a defect he would send me a pre-paid shipping label to send it back. E emailed it to me as we talked on the phone. I printed it out, boxed up my gun and took it to Fed X and droped it off about Noon. Wednesday, I got an email letting me know that they had the pistol. The following Wednesday I got both a phone call and an email message that said my gun was on the way back and that it would be there Thursday afternoon and it was. Personally I have never had customer service this good from anyone in my life. When I got it back they had fixed three things they found wrong with the revolver. They fixed the hand locking bolt, Cylinder timing on the 22 mag cylinder and they said that the barrel gap was adjusted as it was rubbing on one of the cylinders. Well my pistol works great and shoots better than I can shoot it. No issues at all except I did cut 2 coils off the mainspring to lighten the trigger pull and cocking force but it functions to perfection after putting whole brick of ammo through it in one day without cleaning.

white eagle
09-25-2011, 10:13 PM
like I said in the post by Jim
my wife has a Taurus 22 and we have had zero (0)
issues with it
probably one bad apple syndrome

drklynoon
09-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah thats what I suppose as well. I really like mine and I don't think I'll be getting rid of it any time soon.

Guesser
09-26-2011, 08:57 AM
You didn't say if your 441 was stainless or blue, mine is stainless and I have the same leading problem. The blue steel guns don't seem to grab the lead as bad, just my experience. The Lee 215 is the most accurate in my gun. I've only had mine about six years and I'm still working with it trying to come up with the best size/powder/weight/alloy combination. I have never tried a GC boolit. The leading is removed quite easily as long as I do it every session. I recently got a S&W 624 and haven't tried it yet. I've never had good service from S&W SS, all leaded with everything, I traded them away. We'll see how the 624 works, but even before I try it I don't like the gun as well as my Taurus 441; the Smiff feels big, heavy and clunky by comparison. If Ruger would just chamber their GP100 in a five shot 44 Special all would be right with the world!!

44man
09-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't shoot the CA stuff and never seen any of the loads so I have to ask if they are too soft? Is it just the ammo?
If it is I can't see a guy blazing away in CA without a problem.
You sure don't need too hard either and I would be interested in what you fellas find with alloy changes.
I wonder if a lot of the CA loads are swaged.

Guesser
09-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I work mostly with 50/50 PB/WW, air cooled. They work well in all my blue steel guns, the only thing I have a problem with them in is stainless guns and S&W stainless is the worst. My Taurus stainless and my Charter Arms stainless lead but not bad. I load 41 Magnum in the 1000-1100 range with these boolits and they work very well in S&W 57 and my 10" Contender, my blued 357's are fine with it; it is just the stainless steel guns that suck the lead. The Taurus 441 is great, leading or not.

scrapcan
09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I will be the lone "Taurus Hater" as you guys put it. But I am going to weigh in that the centerfire revolvers have been very good in my experience. I have seen a bunch of them in the basic handgun classes. I don't like the hammer lock feature, but that is easily remedied and in fact is generally just a user malfunction rather than a design issue.

The main issues I have with TaurusUSA is their customer service and repair/replacement parts dept. I hope no one ever has to go through that experience.

I am happy to hear you guys are having great luck and lots of fun. That is the real goal for all of us. Good to hear others have better luck than I have.

That 44spl would be a very nice sidearm.

Dark Helmet
09-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Slug all holes in the cylinder and go from there.

drklynoon
09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
I will slug all five chambers just to make sure I don't have some that are out of whack. Guesser it is a stainless model. Those CA loads were a pretty soft bullet and they barked alot more than the CA loads I tryed once in my .45 colt ruger. I didn't run them over a crony but my wrist O' Meter was putting them around 850 FPS with a 240 Gr bullet in chambers that are probably 3 thousands bigger than the bullet diameter. I was just surprised the gun stayed acurate during the 50 rounds. I have never tried anything but centerfire revolvers for taurus so I don't have an opinion on the other models and I haven't really got into there new stuff either. I have an issue with large printing down the barrel of the gun. ;-) Thanks for the recomendation on the 215 gr bullet I haven' got the ol mans mold yet so I'm still on hold for slugging her and loading a box but I am going to make every effort to get it doen before friday.

Larry Gibson
09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
drklynoon

If your interested in a factory round for self defense I suggest the Federal 225 gr LSWCHP. I've tested it recently and got no leading in my pressure barrel or my Colt Anaconda. Accuracy was excellent and velocity should be 825 - 850 fps out of your 4" Tauris. I got no leading in either of my barrels. PSI is under 11,000 BTW.

Larry Gibson

drklynoon
09-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Larry I might eventually consider this gun for self defense. Right now I am just one of those odd guys that likes to punch holes in paper but don't always want reduced loads to do so. As far as factory loads I doubt I will buy anymore they are just to expensive. The box of CA loads was durn near 40 bucks. YIKES. lol I can't wait to get loading but priorities are stacking up against me.