PDA

View Full Version : Barrel cleaning procedure??

MaxJon
09-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Hi all, I have only ever shot cast boolits without gas checks, but now the time has come for some high velocity stuff with gas checks. Do i have to clean my barrel as if i was shooting jacketed stuff thru it? Do they foul the barrel? My checks are Lyman copper ones one the base of some .308 boolits.
Any info be great!!
BB03

rockrat
09-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Not that I am aware of, both to the fouling and having to clean any copper from the barrel. I have shot gas checked boolits upwards of 2600fps and haven't noticed any copper in the barrel

Ben
09-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I once read about a fellow shooting a 1903 Springfield in a variety of Military matches.
He shot in 18 matches, he won 1/2 of the matches he participated in. Guess what , during this process of shooting and traveling to the next match, he never cleaned his bore.

If the bullet is a proper fit, the speed of the bullet is appropriate for the bullet design, the condition of the bore is appropriate for firing cast bullets , etc.........there shouldn't be a lot of anything in the bore to clean other than some carbon and old lube residues.

MaxJon
09-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I once read about a fellow shooting a 1903 Springfield in a variety of Military matches.
He shot in 18 matches, he won 1/2 of the matches he participated in. Guess what , during this process of shooting and traveling to the next match, he never cleaned his bore.

If the bullet is a proper fit, the speed of the bullet is appropriate for the bullet design, the condition of the bore is appropriate for firing cast bullets , etc.........there shouldn't be a lot of anything in the bore to clean other than some carbon and old lube residues.

Interesting! Thanx again Ben! Luv your work!
BB03