View Full Version : Question: Value of Winchester Centennial 66 & other questions

chambers
09-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Opportunity to buy a Winchester Centennial 66 model 94. What is the value of fair to good Winchester Centennial 66 of model 1866 in 44? Gun is gold plated with octagon barrel. The guy who has it says it is 44 rim fire? Can this be correct or is it a 44 centerfire? What would be a ball park price? Things to look for?

Four Fingers of Death
09-25-2011, 06:18 AM
It wouldn't be 44Rimfire, probably 44/40 there was a Gold Plated commemmorative in 44/40.

The Winchester Commemmmoratives would have to be the worst investment of the 20th Century. They were somewhere around $AU800 when they came out here and new, unused and unfired they try and sell them for about that now.

I'd buy one if I liked the rifle and the price was ok, but there is no way I'd buy one with a thought of making any money on it.

I have a Classic commemmorative, it is well worn, but still a lovely rifle with it's long octangular barrel and great wood.

Good shootable rifles that look good, but awful investments.

Hardcast416taylor
09-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with you Mick. I inherited a collection of the commeratives from a brothers estate. I only kept the Classic rifle as it had a wood flaw. It is a decent shooter despite the heavy forend. Robert

chambers
09-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I looked at the gun and it was a 30-30, the guy did not look at it correctly. He had a letter from Winchester and they value new in the box just under $800.00. I think $ 300.00 is a fair price, no box, never fired, no paperwork. Has one knick in wood from sitting in closet.

Frank46
09-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I recently bought a Canadian Cenntenial in 30-30 for $500. Cherry rifle and with the box. My 65th birthday present from the wife. As to why I chose this rifle was pretty simple. 26" long octagon bbl that just hangs there rather than weave about like the carbines do. Plus octagon bbls are cool. Figured that the cost of getting one of my 94's reworked to the same configuration would have cost my more than just buying what I wanted. I'm a shooter not a collector and just about every long gun in my safe is a shooter regardless of being a collectable.
Same with some of my handguns model 24-3 4" bbl and lew horton 24-3 with 3" bbl both in 44 special. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
09-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Thats why I bought the Classic, beautiful barrel and wood. The action is very ordinary (on the ugly side of ordinary in fact) and it has seen a fair bit of use, but I like it.