PDA

View Full Version : Was looking for a short 30-30, but found a win 64A

stana
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_51884e7e889ad9fd7.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2220)

I have a Win 64A, it handles well and shoots well, but I'm thinking of cutting 6" off the barrel (as timber carbine). I see Win 64A's for sale for $700, but I haven't seen anyone buying. Would I be destroying a collectible? Thanks Stan

Bret4207
09-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Yes, you would be destroying a collectable rifle. Do not do it. Trade the thing for a standard 94 or something, but don;t cut that barrel.

insanelupus
09-25-2011, 09:47 AM
That is one FINE looking rifle!

Larry Gibson
09-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Oh please don't cut that barrel! There are too many 20" M94s around to even consider doing that to such a beautiful M64.

Larry Gibson

EDK
09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I've got the MARLIN equivalent of your 24 inch WINCHESTER. I would never cut that elegant barrel off. It took some looking to find a nice one at a reasonable price.

I went out and bought a couple of beater 336s to keep assorted step-kids and grand children from putting their grubby little paws on the 336A and Cowboy rifles.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Hardcast416taylor
09-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I had a M-64 for quite a few years. My late son always coveted that rifle, so I gave it to him as a B-day gift several years back. After his passing I asked his girl friend if I could have it back. It was nowhere to be found and she had no idea what may have become of it.

Leave the 64 barrel as is for no more reason than that is the way Winchester made it for a reason.Robert

W.R.Buchanan
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
ERASE THAT IDEA FROM YOUR HEAD IMMERDIATELY !!!!!

You would RUIN a fine rifle that is worth pretty good money, and will be worth more in the future!

You would make it worh SQUAT! And it doesn't matter how professional the job was done it would still kill it dead, and any gunsmith who you talk to about changing it SHOULD tell you the same thing right out of the gate!

If you must have a short barreled rifle then either buy a M94 carbine of which there was only 8 million made! or buy an older Marlin and cut the barrel, or better buy a new Marlin SBL for $600 and be done with it.

The modification of of guns on that scale in just not warranted, even doing a cheapo gun is something you should only do if you yourself can do the work or at least most of it. And then only if it is a generic gun with no value beyond its value in use. The money you have to spend with a gunsmith to modify a rifle into a carbine or trapper style rifle will cost you far more than buying a new gun already in that configuration! (Marlin SBL) try Guns America. com

That M64 is in great shape and it would be F*&^%$#* Stupid to ruin it!

I know I speak for just about everyone here that has any sense. (can you tell I feel very strongly about this subject? why is that?)

fagitaboudit!

Randy

bob208
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
the 64a was only made for 2 1/2 to 3 years. yes it would not be wise to cut the barrel. in fact it would be cheaper to buy a 94 carbine.

i have been looking for a 64a for a long time, have not got one yet.

stana
09-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll leave it as is. I know that the pre war Win 64 is of great value, but was unsure of this 64A's, (1972 "reproduction") value.

EDK
09-25-2011, 05:20 PM
ERASE THAT IDEA FROM YOUR HEAD IMMERDIATELY !!!!!............................................. .................................................. ....

That M64 is in great shape and it would be F*&^%$#* Stupid to ruin it!.................

fagitaboudit!

Randy

Hey, Randy, you really sure how you feel about this?:drinks:

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

W.R.Buchanan
09-25-2011, 07:09 PM
One would have to guess?

Randy

Swampman
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll leave it as is. I know that the pre war Win 64 is of great value, but was unsure of this 64A's, (1972 "reproduction") value.

If it's a post-'64, it's not worth much and the long barrel is annoying for no gain. I'd do whatever you think best.

woody1
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
It IS, after all, your rifle. Do with it what you will. As swampman said, it is a post '64. It's not the same quality or even the same rifle as the earlier 64's. Regards, Woody

gnoahhh
09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I would hunt with it as-is for at least one season before making a decision to bob the barrel or spend the money for another gun with a shorter barrel. That extra 4" doesn't make that much of a difference when it comes down to maneuvering through the thick stuff, IMO, but does make for better balance when taking a deliberate off hand shot.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
These fellows are absolutely right about that 64. get a hold of Jesse Occumpaugh after you get a rifle less valuable and he can cut to the length you want, fix the magazine tha way you want it and even re-chamber, rebore, or both, the way you want. Excellent work, very quick turnaround, and lots of choices. I had him do several for me. I haven't even seen a 64 since 1983 despite hundreds of show visits.

BvT

Larry Gibson
09-26-2011, 07:44 PM
I would hunt with it as-is for at least one season before making a decision to bob the barrel or spend the money for another gun with a shorter barrel. That extra 4" doesn't make that much of a difference when it comes down to maneuvering through the thick stuff, IMO, but does make for better balance when taking a deliberate off hand shot.

+1. Plus you'll appreciate the extra sight radii the longer barrel gives through those aperture sights as your eyes go south........

Larry Gibson

pietro
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Well...

Where're you from, Stan ? - I have a 16" Trapper .30-30 (below, w/Lyman peep), I'll swap you FTF if you're nearby.

Greg B.
09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
If you really want a Mod 64 carbine they do turn up from time to time. I saw one at a gun show and I also have one that was made in the 40's which is not for sale. As far as I know they were factory produced. In order to hit anything with it I installed a Williams fool proof sigh. Shooting off hand it has accounted for a number of pie plates at 50 yards. Probably just my old eyes.

As the other fellows have indicated don't modify your original as it will be worth less money. Yours also has sling swivels which mine does not. This is a nice feature for carrying over any distance.

All in all that extra barrel length doesn't make that much difference and with the short barrel I find the front sight does move around more when trying to hit something. For me the nicest hunting lever is the Marlin 95 with a 22" barrel. If I were you I would keep the one you have and find a carbine as well. They would look good displayed on a wall rack with a set of deer antlers nearby. Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg B.

scrapcan
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I have the pre 64 model 64. It would be my suggestion to hunt with it as it is. You will be surprised at how maneuverable it is. Put a williams fool proof or 5d sight on it and it will be a joy. Get yourself a merit adjustable iris for the sight and it is even better. 30 wcf marked.

I also have a 70's vintage NRA commerative 94 rifle with 24 inch barrel. It was fired when i came to me. It gets shot a lot, is handy, and carries well. 30-30 caliber.

and the old standby win 1894 rifle with 26 barrel, rifle style butt plate, and 38-55 caliber. It too carries well and is highly functional as a woods gun.

All of the above have also been carried in a scabbard. right there is the real reason for a carbine. In my opinion anyway, but I would not trade any of the 3 long barreled winchester levers that I have for a carbine.

pls1911
10-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Don't touch that gun!!!!
If it's a pre 64, i'll trade you a pre microgroove Marlin 336 of your cjoice.
name it, and if I have it in equal quality to yours, I'll do the deal