PDA

View Full Version : The BFR arrived

HammerMTB
09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
After reading about it in too many places, I had to have one. Ordered from Bud's Guns, it wasn't too long shipping. The NCIS delay only cost me 4 days.
It's a .500S&W 7.5" bbl. I already had brass, boolits, and dies ready. The 440 Lee w/o GC was the victim today. I realized that's an ounce of lead. Won't take long to empty a pot with THAT mold....
Some stats: gun weight empty: 4lbs, 4 oz
Throats were all .502"
Trigger broke clean at 3.5 lbs.
After some checking/looking around, I found loads for 1000FPS, 1150FPS, and 1250FPS.
It's a big shove, but not sharp at all. Very similar to my SRH 44Mag with medium loads.
I didn't realize when I bought it that it came with a scope mount. I'd been thinking I'd put a light pipe front and ghost ring rear on. It's hell gettin' old and can't focus on sights well anymore.
More load development to come, including some with .45 boolits in sabots. I wonder how fast those sabots can go down the bbl without leaving some significant residue behind?
Anyway, once worked out, it should be a good bear gun, or buffalo, or whatever goes on 4 legs....

44man
09-24-2011, 02:35 PM
After reading about it in too many places, I had to have one. Ordered from Bud's Guns, it wasn't too long shipping. The NCIS delay only cost me 4 days.
It's a .500S&W 7.5" bbl. I already had brass, boolits, and dies ready. The 440 Lee w/o GC was the victim today. I realized that's an ounce of lead. Won't take long to empty a pot with THAT mold....
Some stats: gun weight empty: 4lbs, 4 oz
Throats were all .502"
Trigger broke clean at 3.5 lbs.
After some checking/looking around, I found loads for 1000FPS, 1150FPS, and 1250FPS.
It's a big shove, but not sharp at all. Very similar to my SRH 44Mag with medium loads.
I didn't realize when I bought it that it came with a scope mount. I'd been thinking I'd put a light pipe front and ghost ring rear on. It's hell gettin' old and can't focus on sights well anymore.
More load development to come, including some with .45 boolits in sabots. I wonder how fast those sabots can go down the bbl without leaving some significant residue behind?
Anyway, once worked out, it should be a good bear gun, or buffalo, or whatever goes on 4 legs....
I only shot one in .500 S&W. I needed a glove but it was accurate.
Keep us informed, I think you will fall in love with it.

subsonic
09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
With the sabots, the thing that worries me is pulling the sabots out of the case, or bullet out of the sabot in the other chambers. I have read about a guy using .45 sabots and 135gr .40 bullets in a .45 colt and breaking 2000fps in a 5.5" gun with no signs of pressure. I think he was using unique at first, then blue dot or similar powder way over book max for the lightest bullets shown in the data.

He wasn't having problems woth pulling.

If it works, I'd guess you get most of the way to 3000fps with 200gr boolits or bullets.

subsonic
09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Btw, what loads were you shooting at each of those speeds?

From what I have seen, top factory loads can go 1700fps wih a 440gr!:holysheep

HammerMTB
09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Btw, what loads were you shooting at each of those speeds?

From what I have seen, top factory loads can go 1700fps wih a 440gr!:holysheep

The slow one was 10 of Unique. I "guesstimate" it at 1000 as that was close to claimed, and my fault, I didn't get my sky screens adjusted to the angled sun first.
1150 was 23 of AA#9, and 1250 was 25.5 of AA#9
Curiously, the 25.5 of AA#9 was very smoky. The lower charge was too, but not objectionably so. Poor combustion? Just smoky powder? Lighting the 45/45/10 too much?
One more thing to add: My muzzle looked a little like your pics of your .475 in the other thread. I wondered how much was just antimony wash, so swabbed it with some Hoppe's. It came right out. To me, there's gotta be slivers or significant amounts to be leading I concern myself with. Color is not enough.

HammerMTB
09-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I only shot one in .500 S&W. I needed a glove but it was accurate.
Keep us informed, I think you will fall in love with it.

I can tell a glove will be in order. For now, 1/2" hole in a critter will bring it down, even if it isn't 1500FPS+