PDA

View Full Version : Four cavity or double?

gishooter
09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Getting ready to order a new mold for 9mm. I've settled on a Lyman 356402 truncated 120 gr design. All my other molds are Lyman two cavity style. Any real advantage to the 4 cavity molds? The way I look at it:
Pro- more bullets with each drop
Con-heavier, have to buy a new handle for 4 cavity, more expensive, slower to reach casting temp?
:cbpour:

Dale53
09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
gishooter;
I have and use bullet moulds from one cavity to six cavity (aluminum, iron, and brass).

I am 76 years old. Iron or brass moulds have a weight limit for me - four cavities are fine, six are not. Aluminum works fine in six cavity moulds.

I would NEVER purposely choose a two cavity over a four cavity with ONE exception. The Cramer style brass hollow point moulds require considerable manipulation to operate efficiently - with those, I prefer two cavity (simply a handling matter).

Otherwise, pick a four cavity mould in iron or six cavity in aluminum. You will welcome the productivity and if you are a normal male (average physical condition, etc) you will NOT be bothered by the weight of a four cavity iron mould. You will be DELIGHTED with the productivity.

FWIW
Dale53

subsonic
09-24-2011, 01:12 PM
I'd say 2 cav iron unless you want to make a ton of ammo.

By the time I get a 4 cav iron running, I can have a big pile of good boolits with a 2 cav aluminum. But if you shoot a lot or like to cast for a year's worth of boolits at a time, the 4 cav is better. Owning a bottom pour pot with a mould rest makes the heavier moulds more comfortable to use.

If you are limited on time available to cast, the 4 cav iron might be frustrating. It is sometimes for me.

After I started casting I realized why there are so many retired guys on this forum.

Rico1950
09-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Use a hot plate to heat your mold while your pot is getting up to temp and you'll be ready to cast when your pot is ready.

Dale53
09-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Use a hot plate to heat your mold while your pot is getting up to temp and you'll be ready to cast when your pot is ready.

+1!!

Dale53

Jack Stanley
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
I keep thinking that one of these days I should get a hot plate .... I just haven't seen one at the second hand store yet . So , untill I do , I'll continue to heat the four and six cavity Lyman and H&G molds the old fashion way :mrgreen:

I do tend to try and make bullets for the long term rather than just make a hundred or so at a time . For that the four cavity Lyman molds are easy enough to work with . I do have one old Cramer mold that is a double cavity with one a hollow point and I'm glad its only a double . It might be interesting to see what a four cavity hollow point operates like :coffee:

Jack

gishooter
09-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I use Lyman#2 for most of my casting. I go thru a 20 pound pot of alloy in one session alternating between two types of double cavity molds.

NickSS
09-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Personally for a 9mm TC bullet like you want I would buy a lee six cavity 120 gr TC mold. I have one and can cast up a lot of bullets in a very short time. Their six cavity mold and a set of handles will cost you less than a lyman two cavity one and they are quality made as far as I can see. Ever since I bought my first one if a bullet comes in the lee mold thats what I buy. I also have a 120 gr two cavity RN mold for 9mm from Lyman that I have had for years and do not use it much any more as the lee TC works so well for me.

Shuz
09-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I prefer 4 to 6 cavity moulds. I also utilize a mould guide that aligns the sprue holes with the pour spout and helps reduce the user fatigue of 4 to 6 cavity mould weight.

NoZombies
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
If I'm casting for a pistol, I prefer as many cavities as is practical. I'm still young, and can handle a 6 or 8 cavity mold without problems, so if I have a 6 or 8 cavity of something that I shoot much of, that's the mold I will use.

dragonrider
09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
The most cavities you can get,.

mroliver77
09-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I prefer more cavities for peestol boolits. Even with a 4 cavity Lyman I can drain a 20 lb pot pretty fast! I do like the 6 cav Lee and have many. My Lyman pot has a mold guide that not only holds the weight but aligns mold with the spout. It makes casting much easier. If you don't have this type setup I advise to make it.
The one thing I have found is that a lot of molds intended for the 9mm do not cast large enough boolits. I don't have a lot of experience with the 9 but have found I usually need .357 or .358 sized boolits for them. From what I read on here that is common.
J

subsonic
10-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Personally for a 9mm TC bullet like you want I would buy a lee six cavity 120 gr TC mold. I have one and can cast up a lot of bullets in a very short time. Their six cavity mold and a set of handles will cost you less than a lyman two cavity one and they are quality made as far as I can see. Ever since I bought my first one if a bullet comes in the lee mold thats what I buy. I also have a 120 gr two cavity RN mold for 9mm from Lyman that I have had for years and do not use it much any more as the lee TC works so well for me.

I agree. If Lee makes it in a 6 cavity, I'm buying it over any others. There 2 cavities, not so much.

FN in MT
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
The Lyman #356402 has been one of the easiest moulds I've ever owned to get up and running with good bullets, and they seem to FALL out as soon as I open the mold. Very easy to cast a LOT of them in a short time with a 4 cavity mold.

FN in MT

btroj
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I personally don't like Lyman 4 cav moulds. Way too heavy and the handles are a pain to use. The hinge in from of the blocks is opposite of everything else I have and I find it tough to get a good technique and rhythm.
I do like to cast in quantity for handgun so that may be why almost all I use are either GB mounds or Lee designs.

Thumbcocker
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
What diamater does the Lee version run?