PDA

View Full Version : are you an optics junky

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2011, 11:40 AM
do you have more scopes then guns and even have expensive scopes with nothing to put on them. When a company comes out with a 1200 yard range finder to you get rid of your 1000 yard unit and upgrade or even keep both because one might break. do you buy binocs of ever power range. do you even have to have 8x20s for walking 8x30s for daytime hunting and 8x50s for evening hunting? Do you turn up your nose at binocs or scopes that cost less then 200 bucks without even trying them? Do you have 300 dollar rifles with 600 dollar scopes on them? That would be me. Anyone else addicted to optics?

greywuuf
09-24-2011, 12:52 PM
What would be the opposite of that, Having way more guns than you have optics for, swapping scopes around to whatever you are going to shoot and having nothing sighted in ever and buying only junk sub 200 dollar optics just to get something together ?

That being said I have a serious craving for some High end optics..... *sigh*

winelover
09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Pretty much fits me to a tee. I like QD mounts because some of my guns have multiple scopes depending on the situation I expect to encounter. I'm an Trijicon / Armson Junkie. Couple of their variables, couple Reflexes and half dozen of the OEGs. Leupold is the second most numerous brand I use. Throw in a couple of Bausch & Lombs and Weavers , an odd Burris and a Simmons just about covers it. I think there is 4 pairs of Binocs laying around, a Nikon rangefinder and a Leupold spotter! :holysheep I guess I have a preference for high-end optics!!!

Winelover

Hip's Ax
09-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Maybe, I have 10 Redfield 3200's, 3 Unertl's, a Lyman, a Litschert, a Weaver, 5 Leupold's all for target work. Of course each scope also has a rifle and a set of iron sights that rival or exceed the scope price. :shock:

colt 357
10-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Guess I'm out of this one. I have only three scopes 2 came with the rifles they are on. 1- I bought. All are under $50.00

wildwilly
10-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Although I have/use scopes on all my bolt guns, I really have a fetish for receiver sights. There is nothing as aesthetically appealing to me as a levergun with a Williams, Redfield, or Lyman peep sight. I always peruse Ebay looking for steel Redfields, or Lymans.

frankenfab
10-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes. .

gewehrfreund
10-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes, but my obsession is with older scopes. I have bought guns just because I wanted the scope/mounts on them, and I have bought many scopes without any specific rifle in mind to put them on.
Current count: 54 scopes and 63 rifles that could take a scope, but quite a few of them will keep their open, receiver or tang sights, so probably more scopes than rifles. And, I've sold a number of scopes in the last 6 months, so I'm getting better.

wildwilly
10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I must admit.....I really love the old Kuharsky and B&L scopes with the external mount adjustments. I have acquired several of these scopes, rings and mounts at gun shows and ebay. Seems to still be a very practical system for switching scopes among different rifles with this system. The optics quality is still on par with todays products.

JudgeBAC
10-13-2011, 05:15 PM
No.........Only because I can't afford to be one.

10-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Not so much with the scopes. Do have a few extra that just end up accumulating over the years from upgrading, trading, freebees and the like. The problem I have is way too many binocs for the only two eyes I have. Should have just ponied up for one of the Big 3 (Z, L or S) .... years ago!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Hello, My name is Jon, and I have a problem !!!

mmm, I love me some optics :)

Yes, More scopes than rifles.

Old ones, new ones, expensive ones, and even a few cheap chinese ones.
I love the Burris Sig. Rings with plastic inserts with offset kits...second to none !

At an auction this summer, I bought a old pair of Leupold Binocs (don't ask what I paid),
original leather strap, orginal leather case, awesome optics,
they put my burris binocs (newest and previous best) to shame.
Jon

bobthenailer
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Im a member of that club ! I have at least 6 red dot sights as well as 5 pistol and 2 rifle scopes sitting on the shelf wating to be mounted or switched on a gun. & 6 binoculars and 2 spotting scopes
Lets not talk about guns and reloading & casting stuff !

hiram1
11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes i am a glass junky i have 2 more scopes than i have guns

Dutchie
11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Yep , imma yar pot junkie myself,The difference is they have 2 go on my camera's.oops.
Only scope i have is a libby owens ford glass company 2.2 X scope on my M1C sniper.
But that one was obvious.Oh and a russian range finder , and two other good ones.

Hans.