PDA

View Full Version : I am an Idiot!!! Tinsel Fairy Visit!

ahhbach
09-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Last Saturday night I was smelting a rather large pot of old Telco Cable Sheath still intact like a tube. Normally I cut this in 5-7 inch pieces and lay it on top of the melt that way any moisture in get evaporated before it melts. Well needless to say I was in somewhat of a hurry and placed a 4 ft piece in that was crimped in half. I was HOLDING the end with my BARE (I know Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.) hand when I heard the Rumblings. Immediately turned and moved away. Luckily only got bad 2nd Degree burns on my right hand and small 3rd degree burns on each shoulder. I feel I was about as lucky as I could get.

Remember as I forgot HASTE Makes WASTE and I could very well have been a stunt double in the next Day of the Dead movie...

Brian

white eagle
09-24-2011, 10:29 AM
man glad you got away with what you did

onondaga
09-24-2011, 11:32 AM
You are not stupid or an idiot.. You are a burned person that made an error in judgement on safety precautions. Thanks for giving warning to others on what didn't work for you and injured you.

Gary

sabot_round
09-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your experince with us. I'm glad that you are ok and it didn't turn worst for you.

dragonrider
09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
"I am an Idiot!!!"................ agreed. But it's a condition that you will rectify. It is unlikely you will do this again.
" 3rd degree burns on each shoulder".........were you shirtless????
Glad you weren't burn worse than that.

zuke
09-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I leave all my lead in the shed till I'm ready to melt.
No rain in there.

badbob454
09-25-2011, 04:37 AM
I leave all my lead in the shed till I'm ready to melt.
No rain in there.

dont trust that, lead will collect condensation too ..

STP22
09-25-2011, 05:30 AM
I remember my first Tinsel Fairy moment some years ago. I plunged a cold spoon into the Saeco 10lb pot full of melted alloy. Wow!

Have had but a couple of other moments of "duh!!" since.

Each posted experience serves to remind the rest of us to ALWAYS pay attention.

Regards,

Scott

09-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Glad you had time to move a bit. Hot lead is not nice--in any form.

WILCO
09-25-2011, 06:29 AM
were you shirtless????

That's what I was thinking. Unless it was a tank top......glad he's okay though.

WHITETAIL
09-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Brian, Thanks for shareing that.
It is a reminder to pay attention to
what you are doing.
Or the tinsel fairy will come.
Glad you are OK![smilie=w:

jsizemore
09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Your an idiot if you don't learn from your experience. Pain usually improves the learning curve unless you like that kind of thing.

canyon-ghost
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I started the lead pot one morning with frost on the roof of the tin carport, as it melted, the frost started thawing in the sun.

I never will forget that slow-motion moment when a single drop of water on the rafter headed straight down toward the lead pot! I shut it off and went in the house. No sense in getting burned over a hobby.

ahhbach
09-26-2011, 05:03 AM
That's what I was thinking. Unless it was a tank top......glad he's okay though.

Nope burned through my shirt... Very small wounds, my right hand took the brunt of this brainfart, still has good sized blisters.

I realize now that I was rushing things and forgot that this can, at times, be very dangerous. Glad I didn't screww up my good looks...

Brian

t_dickinson
09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Glad you got off with a warning. Lately I've been lazy and have left out the face shield and leather jacket.

You probably just saved me some pain - I mean it. Thank you.

As an added reminder to us all, keep those kiddos away too. My 5 year old twins think it's really cool when I tell them what I'm doing.

They have yet to get close enough to see what molten metal looks like and I intend to keep it that way.

It's no place for kids to learn science.

Pertsev
09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Been burned a few times too. ALWAYS wear gloves and glasses. There was an idiot on this board who claimed to NOT wear glasses.
When I learned to weld many years ago,the guy teaching me said always wear Safety gear.
"Better to burn cowhide than your hide" he said.Cover your eye balls,a piece of hot slag can burn though skin.

stealthshooter
09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I learned my lesson a couple days ago!! I dumped in some lead shot that I found out had moisture in it. I of all people should know better! I used to tap slag from a furnace for a living. I was pretty quick in my reaction and walked away with just a few small blisters on my arms. It sprayed lead over a 15' radius. I'll be more careful in the future!!

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20110930_140141.jpg