PDA

View Full Version : alternate to chambercast

Kragman71
02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Hello
Someone here,had supplied instruction to get an impression of the foreward part of the chamber.
It included filling an unssized case with a leadalloy and cutting the neck off at the shoulder.This was then chambered in the gun and a pure lead slug was hammered into it,to get the impression.
I recently bought a firelapping kit from Beartooth Bullets,and an instruction booklet came with it.
They included the same directions for getting the cchamber impression;except that it did not include cutting off the case neck.
Can someone explain the reason for cuttting off the neck?
thanks
FRank

slughammer
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
I have not seen the recommendation to cut off the case neck, but perhaps it is so the lead will fill the neck area of the chamber for an accurate measurement.

I use a case filled up with WW and then about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch poured out. I then use a pure lead slug. When the slug is expanded the case neck also expands and gives a fair measurement of the chamber neck.

Another good method for the chamber neck for a 30 bore is to drive a 38 wadcutter up into the chamber neck and the throat/lead in area. Easy to do 3 quick and then have some measurements to average.

Kragman71
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Slughammer
Thanksfor the response.
Actually,the instruction sheet was from a link provided from this Forum.
I'll leave the neck on.
Frank